Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
can someone post a few pictures of what a bench would look like out in the mountains? I see it referred to a lot when reading up on looking for elk but I haven't been able to figure it out. Even my climbing/hiking buddies haven't been able to answer this one for me.

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Same thing as a shelf if you are from the East

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
It's just an area up on the side of a mountain where it's more less flat.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Flat area on the side of the mountain that follows the contour of the mountain at the same elevation. IE: you can walk it, ride it, etc and not go uphill nor downhill. Deer, elk, humans, all will follow benches as they allow an efficient, energy saving, means of getting from point A to point B. As long as you are learning about hunting benches, pay close attention to "saddles" too!

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Godogs57; 03/23/13.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A near level area surrounded by steeper terrain. Typically favored bedding/resting areas. I have better luck on elk approaching them from above. Coming from below they spot me first.

1Minute
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Other western words which you should familiarize your self with are: saddle, draw, gulch, coulee, butte, mesa, and arroyo.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Bells in the shoe laces till past the croud.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Bells in the shoe laces till past the croud.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Crap oops.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Prwlr
Other western words which you should familiarize your self with are: saddle, draw, gulch, coulee, butte, mesa, and arroyo.

I learned a new use for the word "Park" while hunting in Colorado.

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by rick59
Originally Posted by Prwlr

I learned a new use for the word "Park" while hunting in Colorado.

If hunting west of Boulder, add 'Subaru' to your vocabulary.....

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Here is a natural 'bench' in a steep 'drainage', it can't be seen unless you are on it and has a 'seep' below.

It's about a half acre and the biggest 'bench' in the whole 'cut'.

Not to be confused with a 'dish' or 'bowl'.

The last picture shows the steepness of the drainage and the bench is straight across and a bit lower on the opposite side.

That elk was on the side of a 'bluff' under a 'saddle' in the 'scrub oak' glassed from the 'bench'...

Kent

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Photo 1. This is an area where elk hang out. The photo point had a small 6x6 standing in it a few hours before. This is an area where motorized travel is not allowed, and would be difficult even if it were. The red arrows indicate benches that are good places to find bedded elk. Note that these timber-covered areas are north-facing slopes. The yellow arrow points to a saddle. The blue indicates a ridge point where one might find a solitary bedded bull. The open meadow areas are called οΏ½parksοΏ½ in some areas. North of this photo point there are more timber covered benches and ridgetops where one would also look for elk after daylight.

[Linked Image]

Photo 2. From the same elkοΏ½s perspective shows two saddles with elk paths leading through them. The large bench indicated by the red arrow is a well-used bedding area. Early in the season, when the locale has not yet been pressured too much, one might find bedded elk in the timber patch in the foreground. Approaching bedding areas from above gives the hunter an advantage, as mentioned, for a couple reasons: 1) elk tend to bed where they can see downhill where they expect danger, and 2) thermals, once the day warms, will tend to flow upslope, carrying a hunterοΏ½s scent upward to bedded elk. Particularly in the mountain west, thermals form pretty reliably on most days, and upwind-downwind is often downslope-upslope.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I think I understand a saddle to be the lower area between 2 mountains, peaks or hills, is that correct?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Yep. Even a shallow dip on a ridgeline.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
eastern vocabulary will differ somewhat from western.
some terms like park or coulee arent used there for example.
not all eastern mountains have benches either. some go straight to the top without any level spots at all. some however have pronounced benches or level areas at several locations between the bottom and the ridgeline. they usually
run paralel to the ridgeline. other eastern terms would be
(point) meaning where the mountain would change direction. you would go around the point to get on the opposite side for example another would be (hollow) meaning an indentation or change of contour on the mountainside.

Last edited by yobuck; 03/24/13.
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I grew up in Florida, I can tell you about the swamp and I can tell you about the ocean, but mountains...not so much as I've only been learning for about 2 years now.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Ridge, dish, cut, bluff, chute, bench, plateau, saddle, slide, bowl, cliff, trough, escarpment, finger, flats, meadow, face, wash, dip, canyon, ditch, stairstep, burn...

Don't walk on the ridge or you'll be skylined. Sidehill under the bluff on the trail, checking the benches stairstepped below the escarpment for bedded elk. When you come to the turn you'll find a slide below the saddle with a cut making a chute with a finger on each side of the wash. Glass the flats with the meadow and the plateau with the trough cutting a ditch through it. On the opposite face there is a dish and bowl beneath it with an old burn.

If all else fails cross the plateau to the canyon... if you kill one there... take a knife, fork, months supply of toilet paper...

you'll have to eat it and chit it down there.

Kent

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
WTF is a 'escarpment'? A place to hang scaly fishies?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
by the way, you forgot 'rim'.....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (10ring1, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1234, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 61 invisible), 2,544 guests, and 1,347 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,179
Posts18,484,697
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.