24hourcampfire.com
-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#7548163 03/14/13
OP Offline
Are there any tomahawk makers out there?

Brad Hicks

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Several, but not that I am aware of here. You can find many of them over on BladeForums.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
A
add Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Throwing, camp duty, ornamentation, etc ?

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Check out Devin Price out of Missouri. Usable and looks good also.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R W Wilson makes some beautiful pieces. More ornamental than users though.

MM

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
The Cold Steel Trail Hawk makes for a good everyday working tool. The only knock to some would be that it is made in Taiwan.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
there is one guy on Blade Forums that makes beautiful hawks. Hand made, with a hammer welded hardened steel edge on a softer steel body.
I won't post his name, since I am still a day late in buying one. After I score, I'll tell y'all. laugh

Sam......

OP Offline
Thanks guys! i will check them all out! I make them but I usually make them from railroad spikes. Just wanted advice on better steels for them! Thanks again!

Brad Hicks
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
BHicks39;
While I'm aware what I've been doing doesn't constitute "making" a tomahawk, I've been modifying old roofing and drywall hammers for years now.

The resulting designs have varied somewhat in their usefulness, but there are a couple that work quite well for both camping duty and opening up briskets and such.

[Linked Image]

The top three are either as I bought them or nearly so. The next two down, the one with the fiddleback maple handle and the finger grooved handle, get the most use.

I left more of a head for hammering on the fiddleback handled one and it does work a bit better for that task, but the trade off is a couple more ounces in my day pack. Because of that it stays in the pickup and the finger grooved one gets bloody more often.

Anyway, I used to carry a couple lightweight folders and a "big" knife back in the day hunting here in BC, but I eventually changed the knife out for a lightweight folding saw and a tomahawk and that seems to be a much more useful combo for me these days.

Oh, I don't think I've paid much more than $7 for any old roofing hammers at flea markets so far, so it's a project that fits the budget without too much problem.

Hopefully that was some use to you sir. All the best to you this weekend and good luck with your tomahawk making endeavors.

Regards,
Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 03/16/13. Reason: better sentence?

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
BC30cal

That Hawk with the finger grooved handle is mighty nice!

IC B3

OP Offline
Those are actually pretty nice sir! I may steal your idea! smile I have a couple hatchet heads lying around that would work well for that! Hope you don't mind!

Brad Hicks
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
BHicks39;
I'd not mind one iota sir, that's why I threw the idea up there in case it was any use to you or someone else out there in ether space who are fellow steel dust addicts.

As I don't have heat treating tools anymore everything I do these days starts out with already tempered steel and I cold grind it.

With the roofing hammers I've been able to cut them roughly into the shape I'm after with a 5" angle grinder and a zip cut disc. I just run a garden hose onto it while doing that - it's messy alright, but it appears that I've kept the temper so far.

I did one up for a good friend and he had me put a functional gut hook on the bottom - mine aren't sharpened and are only there because I thought they didn't look "right" otherwise. wink

Anyway Brad, I'd be interested in seeing photos of your creations when you're done them - if you are so inclined of course.

All the best to you this weekend.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Ryan Johnson makes some excellent tomahawks.

μολὼν λαβέ
OP Offline
Dwayne
I will post a few pics as soon as I get them made sir!

Brad Hicks
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Stuart Willis at blacksmithmade.com

I've got several and want more !!

Last edited by aablades; 03/24/13.

See what's available at my website. Thanks

http://aablades.blademakers.com/

Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far.

Theodore Roosevelt

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (1minute, 160user, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 1234, 1Longbow, 57 invisible), 1,918 guests, and 1,103 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,902
Posts18,498,107
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.