-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not a crewcab fan having tried that route. Zero load lifter help and it rides like a sack of bricks on your shoulders when its loaded down. I now use a 7500 pack on the NICE frame - much better. Light - hell no. But it carries good and I have all my crap organized & ready to roll with plenty of space left over to hump out meat.

Personally, I would either get the ILBE or a full size MR (6500 or 7500), Kifaru, or other. I have never seen a Blue Widow, but people seem to like them.

Conrad101st
1/503 Inf., 2nd ID (90-91)
3/327 Inf., 101st ABN (91-92)
GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
D
Had a crewcab, sold it. carried the ILBE over 6,500 elevation change with 65 lbs in the cascades over rock and snow. amazing pack, IMHO.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General John Stark.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
ILBE is essentially an Arcteryx Bora on a smallish frame... for a better fit for many (most?) users, the Bora 80 and 95 are going to work better and be more comfortable.

The photos above pretty well illustrate the point... that pack is too small for HatchieDog... a taller frame would give the load-lifters the ability to work and add a LOT more comfort.

Just a head's up...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
W
WBill Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Brad,

I understand that. Since I'm only 6' and built as standard as standard gets. Do you think it will fit me properly?

Thanks,!
Wild Bill

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Wild_Bill_375
Brad,

I understand that. Since I'm only 6' and built as standard as standard gets. Do you think it will fit me properly?

Thanks,!
Wild Bill

Your height is only a minor consideration, your torso length is what matters. Here is how to measure it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO4VqSX3NpQ

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yep, it's all about your torso measurement... depending who measures me I'm 21.5-22"... but I'm only 5'10"... I take a Tall/Large/Xtra-Large in most packs, whereas I've seen guys that are over 6' that are a medium frame.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
W
WBill Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Yeah, I'm a 20 incher! So what would that be a Medium?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Bill that would be right I believe, but only in a Bora 80 or 95.

Not all are the same... I tired a Bora 65 in "Tall" and it was too short for me... IMO, if an ILBE is available in tall that's what I'd get in your position. The ILBE's don't fit me however... they're similar in frame-size to the Bora 65 (and smaller).

You want the stays bent to your back, weight in the pack and the load lifters ABOVE your shoulders @ 30-45*.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I guess ignorance really is bliss.

The pack felt good to me, again with the weight on the small of my back and the remainder tight to my torso. Seven days in a row is the most I have used the pack at one time and I have had no more than about 75lbs in it and that was mostly down hill that day, but my experience has been nothing but positive. The ILBE has been one of my best purchases and one of the things I left alone when I upgraded equipment this past season.

With that said, I am a neophyte when it comes to backpack hunting and backpacking in general. I am sure there is better out there but the ILBE has served me well.

I am 6'3" and slightly built for information's sake.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by HatchieDawg

No, ignorance is just ignorance.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Wild_Bill_375
Wrongside can you help me with the issue of fit? confused Everybody says fit is the most important. How do I determine what would fit me. I read the article @ rokslide Backpacks A-Z. And he mentioned how to measure you back from the 7th vert down to the top of the hip bone but then didn't give any suggestions for fit???

Thanks!

Sorry for missing this, Wild_Bill.

Brad got ya looked after pretty well anyways... smile Some of the other fellas have posted good photos with poorly fit packs, IE; non functioning load lifters. Load lifters are very important and become critical as the weight nears 100 pounds.

Originally Posted by Brad

You want the stays bent to your back, weight in the pack and the load lifters ABOVE your shoulders @ 30-45*.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks for covering my back grin

Load lifters are, of course, critical and are there for a reason... removing that function due to poor fit eliminates an unquantifiable but important aspect of an internal's function and comfort, even at weights under 30 lbs.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by HatchieDawg

No, ignorance is just ignorance.

There you go, and I thought I had something perfectly serviceable and comfortable. Now in my enlightened state I know I don't.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I expected you not to like having a faulty fit pointed out, and did my best to not offend you. Obviously to no avail.

The intention was to help others who are new to this gear by using the photos on the thread, pointing out an all too common mistakes in carrying/fitting an internal. It's seen routinely on this forum (in photos) and in the backcountry. It's painful to look at.

Sometimes knowing what ISN'T right is as important or helpful as knowing what is, and pictures usually help make the point best.

By your own admission you're a neophyte. Just a thought.

It's become increasingly pointless to want to be of any help and it's threads like this that really make me want to sit on my own hard-won experience.

I can be a bit blunt at times, no doubt, but my intention is to be a help. Some are just too thin-skinned to be any help to.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
In all seriousness, how about a photo spread with your Bora 80 showing fit Brad.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by bloodworks
In all seriousness, how about a photo spread with your Bora 80 showing fit Brad.

Great idea. The setup instructions that came with my Mystery Ranch crew can sucked.

Last edited by BWalker; 03/25/13.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BWalker
Originally Posted by bloodworks

Great idea. The setup instructions that came with my Mystery Ranch crew can sucked.

Gents, when I get some time I'll do a pack fit seminar on-line... right now I'm building my own house (solo) and have limited time... should be moving-in mid May.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for covering my back grin

Load lifters are, of course, critical and are there for a reason... removing that function due to poor fit eliminates an unquantifiable but important aspect of an internal's function and comfort, even at weights under 30 lbs.

Well, you were right and picking up my slack. smile

Honestly, I'd been backpacking for years before adding backcountry hunting into the mix. I knew what and how load lifters work, but never REALLY appreciated them until packing full meat loads over distance. I think lots of guys speak from that 'before' perspective, and don't mean any harm, but are simply... well, inexperienced or wrong. To this day, not that I intentionally go there often, I'm fine with sub 50ish pound loads and less than ideal pack fit/design. ( Perhaps it's that strong shoulders, weak mind thing. I am a pretty popular pack 'mule' around these parts... laugh ) Heavier loads require better fitment and pack or I quickly become cranky.

One of the problems with this thing we call the 'Innanet', is that everyone can give advice or opinion. All opinions are not created equal...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Gents... right now I'm building my own house (solo) and have limited time... should be moving-in mid May.

Good luck with that! I build for a living and that's no small task...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yeah, I build for a living as well and it is no small task. Decided to take a year to myself and do it the way I want it.

Our last house... kids are both in College. From here on out building only for others or rental's for myself.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

391 members (10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 204guy, 222ND, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 50 invisible), 2,522 guests, and 1,153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,533
Posts18,530,989
Members74,038
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.