Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Gentlemen,
I have no experience with brands or types of metal detectors.
I have been thinking about getting a good one to play with, although I don't know why.
I have some old foundation stones on a few farms and just thought that it might be fun to find old square nails or tools or whatever.
Probably just find junk.

I don't want to spend money on crappy equipment.
Is there a make or model that equates to Remington, winchester, or higher end types?
Are there models that discern between types of metal??

Thanks for your input,
Bill

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I know whites used to make good ones, my dad always enjoyed metal detecting, when I was about 10 they were tearing down an old abandon house that had been deed back to the county so we went down with his metal detector and found a Morgan Dollar, he also found a diamond ring and several other coins and small jewelry, but the number of pop tabs I dug up for him would fill a truck bed

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Minelab.....look no further.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I'd look into the 705 for what your doing.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Take a close look at Minelab. We have an Exporer and it's a dandy. You can set them to ignore whatever you want. Very nice machines. And look for the places kids played. I found a huge maple in the timber that was surrounded with indian head pennies and mercury dimes. I figured that is the tree the kids climbed and played on...

One of the new guys....
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Minelab is good but there are better smile

The best I ever used has not been made for five years. Is a Troy Shadow X5 followed closely by a Nautilus DMC IIBa.

The Shadow works great in my local sandy soil and worked really well in England.

The Nautilus is a specialized relic machine but works well with everything.

From what I hear the Fisher F75 is nice.

A drop down in price, as well in performance, is the Tesoro (several different models available). Probably the most popular metal detector going now.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My uncle was big into metal detecting. He always had cool stuff he had found in western Nebraska. Old cavalry pins and buttons, cartridges, even revolver frames were the norm. He also found some old coins worth a bit of cash. I forget what brand he ran but at the time it was top of the line. My father might remember. I'll talk to him and find out more.

I don't eat anything that didn't have a mother.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
White is the only brand mentioned here that I've heard of. A friend of mine ran a couple White's and was very satisfied with them. Good luck with your purchase.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
A great thing to locate on an old homestead is the ancient outhouse. People lost all kinds of things in those that they decided they didn't want to recover - coins, eye glasses, guns, knives, etc. The 'soil' has turned to soil by now so they're not nasty to dig through.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I use a Fisher Quicksilver. I like it. Check under old clothes-lines.

Last edited by poboy; 03/26/13.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've got the White's DFX and couldn't be happier. But for an entry-level, the Garrett Ace 250 will do all the things you want for a fraction of the price. Success with metal detectors has alot to do with the person swinging it and a little to do with the tool. To do some pricing go to Kellyco and compare models. Have fun! wink

Dave
Sticks and stones may break my bones ... but hollow-points expand on impact.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
My son does some metal detecting as a hobby. He says besides enjoying it, it's also a great stress reliever for him.

He started out when he was young with an inexpensive, basic Radio Shack detector. Once he decided he liked metal detecting he upgraded to a better White's detector which he still has and still functions just fine. Currently he owns and uses as his primary one of the mid-range Tesoro models that he says he is quite pleased with. He also uses a little hand held gadget he calls a "pin-pointer".

His finds, besides the usual pop tabs, rusty nails and food/beverage cans, include all kinds of stuff from useless unidentifiable junk to the interesting. He also finds lots of old and new coins. So far the most valuable single object he's found was a Barber Quarter in real nice condition valued at around $200+. He recently sold four small trinkets on ebay he dug up for a total of around $100.

As relatively inexpensive as it was, even that first little Radio Shack metal detector helped pay for itself locating lost aluminum arrows.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've found plenty of coin with my White DFX that others missed.

Plenty of good machines out there. It all depends on how you tweak the program to fit what you're looking for.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DownWind
I've got the White's DFX and couldn't be happier. But for an entry-level, the Garrett Ace 250 will do all the things you want for a fraction of the price. Success with metal detectors has alot to do with the person swinging it and a little to do with the tool. To do some pricing go to Kellyco and compare models. Have fun! wink

Best advice for starting out, get a Garret Ace. The thing with detectors is that each one has strengths and weaknesses, and you'll have to figure out what detector is best for your soil, the type of targets you are looking for, and the depth they are found at. The only way to figure that out is get a decent basic unit, start using it and then you'll have an understanding of what features you'll want on a top of the line unit, or if you are sufficiently interested in detecting to justify the cost of such a unit.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Originally Posted by DownWind

Best advice for starting out, get a Garret Ace. The thing with detectors is that each one has strengths and weaknesses, and you'll have to figure out what detector is best for your soil, the type of targets you are looking for, and the depth they are found at. The only way to figure that out is get a decent basic unit, start using it and then you'll have an understanding of what features you'll want on a top of the line unit, or if you are sufficiently interested in detecting to justify the cost of such a unit.

Here are the answers. Go to Kellycodetectors.com and start looking. I have a Garret, have owned White's and Fischers in the past. Minelab is the Cadillac. There ARE some Rolls Royce level detectors out there, but you have to ask yourself how much money you want to spend for your first detector.

Happy Hunting!

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Regardless which model you chose, be sure to order a vibra probe.

Sure makes locating objects easier.

[Linked Image]

A lesche digging too is a must have too

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This seems like an intriguing hobby. I imagine site selection correlates to what you find. ?

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by George_in_SD
This seems like an intriguing hobby. I imagine site selection correlates to what you find. ?

I tend to hunt old home sites and areas where people congregated in earlier times. Last summer I was the first to jump a home that was a bed and breakfast for Chicago folk prior to WWII. The first house that went up was in 1903. As I understand it, there was a dance hall built following WWII that burned down in the '60's.

I dug up scores of coins with the earliest being an 1892 indian cent. Plenty of wheat pennies, buffalo nickel and silver quarters followed.

Was my best dig site to date.

Directly behind the house was a steep hill. Thats where my second hobby originated. I figured that was their dump and hauled out many antique glass medicine bottles and such.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Interesting thread.I've always wanted to check out an old dog fighting pit I found 20 years ago.It was a 4' deep 8' dai. perfect circle with metal walls with nails facing inside about 2" apart all the way around.It was old enough that the metal and nails would crumble to the touch.

I always wondered what men would loose when drinking and possibly fighting.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

637 members (160user, 12344mag, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 69 invisible), 2,630 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,480
Posts18,490,152
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.