Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
I plan on paying the fee to see if the money order was cashed. I called the post office, the fee is not too much. I did confirm the address with the person on the phone. I am going to call the local police department tomorrow.

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
definately follow up on this,what was the town you sent it to,maybe someone knows about this location.

There are a lot more ½" rifles than ½" shooters.
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Some little town in Iowa called Fonda.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Best of luck. It is a sick feeling. If you can ever get a name or address, this bunch around here will put the screws to him.

Teach every child you meet the importance of forgiveness. It's our only hope of surviving their wrath once they realize just how badly we've screwed things up for them.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Not discounting your local police.....BUT U.S. Postal Inspectors are full fledged Federal Agents....and this IS their "Bread and Butter"! I work with these guys all the time and they truly know their business. Sorta like trying to fool an IRS Agent on taxes....that's ALL they do. If you can find one who is a gun guy, their resources are endless. Not saying they will be able to definitely remedy your problem, but technology and tracking data bases they have are beyond most folks comprehension. Think about it....someone sends a threatening letter to a VIP....more times than not....they get their man. Best of Luck to you in your endeavor.....hope the SOB is forced to pay with his liberty!

IC B2

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I to was scammed on a listing on Armslist and nearly lost my payment. It was a rifle and they wanted Postal Money order for payment -the address was in Texas. They would not take credit card or paypal. This bothered me because I have Fraud Protection thru my Credit card ( most cards have this automatically) and for sure with Payal when thru Ebay and I think other purchases. But I still did it. The next day after sending signature required-so there was tracking numbers with it-Armlist listed it as a scam.
I called the Sheriffs office of the community and talked with the Deputy Sheriff in charge of fraud. He immediatly asked me the name of the person and said it as I said it. He told me the woman is mentally handicaped and is not capable of this . He went and talked with her and verified she was not involved to her knowledge and further told me this is common-the way it works is that some scammer-in NewYork or somewhere finds these people -funnels money thru them and has you send money to other addresses. In my case to New York! Ecuse thru email was a cousin was sick and needed the money quickly. Yes These scammers were still emailing me. I did not let on and played with them for another two weeks-Laughing all the way because I had recalled the Signature required letter. This cost me 10 dollars.
The lesson here is to pay thru credit card or Paypal. The Deputy Sheriff informed me unless the amount now hits at least 70000 dollars and involves 20 to 30 people -they do not even consider it . And further more many of these scammers are internationally based-the money is funnled thru sevral people ,most of them not knowing of the scam until it gets to the final real scammer. It would be nice if these selling sites provided escro for payment until the deal is completed-especially if it is a larger sum of money. Hope this information is helpful to someone.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like armslist for local face to face deals no sending money to anyone on there for me.

1 and done
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Yes I like your solution Highridge1. :-) It is safe but limits deals to driving distance.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't hold your breath waiting for GUNS AMERICA to do anything. I purchased a gun thru one of their sellers that was totally mis-represented.I ended up loosing $700.00 getting it fixed. They would not even allow me to leave feedback on the scumbag. They protect their sellers, not the buyers.

Bill
NRA Patron life member.
RMEF
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
on a positive note this may be a simple screw up. maybe the check was sent to wrong address. until you find out that it was cashed you are in limbo. relax and hope for the best. if it has not been cashed see if you can void it some how.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by smokeybear
on a positive note this may be a simple screw up. maybe the check was sent to wrong address.

I'd love for that to be the case, but the OP called the person, who in turn verified the address and claimed to have no knowledge of a gun sale.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
sent you a pm

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I always ask for the mailing address then Google Earth it, look the place over from street view. I always ask for a DL # address and cell and home number. If they are honest they will supply it and if they start questioning the need for the information.....your dealing with the wrong person.

Last edited by Silentdeath; 03/26/13.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
you guys who use paypal for firearms are in for a rude surprise.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by transalp1961
Some little town in Iowa called Fonda.

If you will share a bit more info, there are people that can help.

Seems to me you are playing a guessing game.

Come on with some info. I've seen them smoke some real asswipes out but you got to share some info..

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by smokeybear
on a positive note this may be a simple screw up. maybe the check was sent to wrong address. until you find out that it was cashed you are in limbo. relax and hope for the best. if it has not been cashed see if you can void it some how.

Had this happen to us ,Speedy delivered package to neighbors door they dont use , after a week ,when it did not show at our place we called company that we bought from ,they tracked number said it was delvered to our place , told them it was not here , so they contacted , Speedy driver , he went out to were he delivered it , our neighbors and picked it back up and brought it to our house , if we would not have checked into it farther it would still be sitting at neighbors that didnt know anything about it.

T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Update!
It looks like I may be a lucky one. I called the local sheriff first thing this morning. They were familiar with the person who was scamming me. They told me if they could get the person's mother involved, I would probably get my money back. I just got a phone call from the deputy who was at their residence talking to them and me at the same time. He is getting a check from the mother (which the deputy assured me is good) and he (the deputy)will mail it from his office. A+ for law enforcement!

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
your one lucky fellow there, most sheriff's wont do jack [bleep] about it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congrats....you got lucky there.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hope it turns out to be as good of news that it appears. Congrats!!

Teach every child you meet the importance of forgiveness. It's our only hope of surviving their wrath once they realize just how badly we've screwed things up for them.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1234, 10gaugeman, 52 invisible), 2,630 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,403
Posts18,527,970
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.