Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 229 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 228 229
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
'smoker,

I'm thinking he threw the whole project into Broughton's lap and is obviously going with their spout.

A 260AI on a Winny 3" receiver,throated in accords,ADL and in the Sako Hunter...wouldn't be too hard to take and noone HATES Winny's more than I.(grin) Would LOVE to see a 3" COAL .473" Montucky.

.224",.243" and .284" are the mainstay high volume bore sizes in these parts.

Hondo,

Bergers have yet to show me anything. Of the increased BC VLD-esque faction for Critters,the Scenar is far and away the cream of the crop,in regards to rugged reliability in terminal affects. The A-Max is a Fan Favorite,due the spectrum of the offerings(there's no Lapooey .284's),their inherent Precision,mild manners,availability and cost,routinely steal the show. I've often said the .224" 75A-Max,.243" 105 A-Max and .284" 162 A-Max...are of enough inherent splendor,to literally rate building a rifle around. That course remains a constant. Sierra as per always,sucks azz and Nosler remains a [bleep] joke.

My hopes are,that Hornie doesn't make an across the course shift on the entirety of the A-Max lineage and shoot themselves in the foot. Bean Counters reliably do some stupid schit and little suplizes me in this Day & Age.(grin)

In fairness to Berger,their best pitch is the .257" 115...because noone else offers anything even close and that in itself,is quantification of the hamstrung nature of ALL .25's,by default. Sad when a Berger Guy can launch a .547BC .243" 105 at 3300fps in a 23" S/A 6-284 and blow the [bleep] doors offa his 257Wby wearing a 26" spout and launching their .466 BC 115 at 3500fps. Boolits matter far more than headstamps and it takes a goodly amount of case capacity increase,to offset them constants.

As per always...noone wants to see slickery .257" VLD's flood the market,more than I.

Eddy',

There ain't a contour I don't have more than a few of and I dig Play Toys...so have stacks & stacks of 'em.(grin) Few is more sympathetic than I,to the approach of instead of wondering about sumptin',to simply procure same and drive the schit outta it to see WTF. I gun an open mind and am never not looking for a better way.

I've not drove a 6.5 Whizzum. The biggest case on that bore size I've owned,is a brace of 700 based 264Win Mags. But in fairness,that was prior to the multitude of slickery boolits,now readily available. The BC's weren't there,though lotsa bearing surface certainly was.(grin) I turned both into 257Wby's and was ecstatic in the transformation,given the before/after extrapolation(s). It were also in the Pre-LRF Days,so I conducted my bidness in a fashion separate from Today. The approach then,was to simply hedge a bet at UKD,by adding more fuel to the rocket. Ohhhhhhhhh rest assured,I wore out a Metric Schit Ton of Mildot reticles,playing "if"/"mebbe"/"might"/"kinda"/"sorta"...trying to subtend Critters. All of which is a [bleep] joke,in steep jungles with obscured views of Splendid Beasties. Though I do really enjoy The Mall Ninja Chronicles,espoused by the Haybale & Crockett Crowd and the "virtues" of subtension for same.(grin) I get to hear it all.

Anywhoo...I'd be far more receptive to a 6.5 on a sound case design,in a sound receiver,geared toward exploiting the virtues of same,Today. I shoot enough like bore size chamberings,in a multitude of case designs/capacities,that I'm pretty quick to ply "the less is more" approach in this Day & Age. Why?!? Because things is no longer UKD pursuits and the LRF changed the literal game,more than anything else. Trajectory is a function of Physics and ultra reliable to both compute and connect with. Wind remains straight up 100% VooDoo and you simply gotta live in it and fling jazillions of boolits in it,to get a grip upon it. I've gots me all of them T-shirts and a buncha others.(grin)

So anymore,I've really GOTTA have a good reason...to even entertain a notion of a L/A build. There's much to be said for picking a well rounded chambering,based on mechanical advantage(s). Long story short...[bleep] belts. I know,I know...that's much to the chagrin of Windowlickers everywhere,but none of them Dumbphuckers are swaging belts on their 223's,22-250's,243's,25-06's,7-08's,30-06's,etc.,etc.,so as to reap an "advantage". [bleep] the Fluff,it ain't how I roll. I'd only go L/A if mandated by case length,or if scoring parent brass makes the grass greener. A light done right 280AI on a 700,being a most favorable route to happiness,due the enormous supply of parent brass and forgiving mix of case capacity/COAL latitude. Really tough to [bleep] that melding up. That despite my shooting 7-08,7-08AI,284Win,7ShamWow and 7 Whizzum in a good sized herd of S/A's. Having done a wagon load of 280,280AI,7mmRemMag and STW's on 700's and in objective overview,the S/A based 7 Whizzum is my pick of the litter for a Killing Rifle and undoubtedly,MUCH of that prejudice is predicated upon the incredible excellence of the Montucky's so chambered. Understatement.(hint) I've got (3) of 'em.

So whether a #1 contoured spout,or a receiver diameter Chub,there's nothing of interest in WSM for me,at COAL's greater than 3" mag confines. I've S/A's in like chamberings,running that very contour gamut and can attest in the firsthand,that the handy schit,gets shot wayyyyyyyyyyy more than the Pigs. Pigs is cool and I get it that Niche Play Toys can be a Hoot,but a Pig had best be the 2nd build of a chambering,not the first.(grin) After a guy does that a coupla times,the Pigs never happen and it's funny how that works. Fun to take a newb out,with a half dozen or better like chambered rifles,running the gamut in contour and the like and let him bang away for himself(with like high BC's in all). I've yet to see the gent say "I'm going #7 contour,[bleep] them handy bastards",after having fingerphucked them specimens with actual trigger time,as his first rifle so chambered.(grin) It's an intellesting correlation,that most folks is wayyyyyyy over case capacitied and under boolited. Intellestinger yet,that them constants preclude Fun,which precludes Practice,which precludes Luck,which precludes any dots gettin' connected. Then they'll wax eloquent on that "experience" and "knowledge",yet are a touch remiss to talk "results".(grin)

This thread is a glaring example of that rampant cluelessness and it is entertaining,how them that do the least,bitch the most...though it is assuredly one of Life's many constants. You could bolt a herd of these dumbphuckers together and in conjunction,they couldn't knock the new offa used pair of boots. Luckily for them,Imagination and Pretend is free.

I still wanna know how "loud" their Imaginations are,when they shoot 'em.

Laffin'!

As an aside,I weren't [bleep]' your 264Whizzum and am in fact curious about them particulars. In the backlit pic,I cain't make out particulars veddy good,but looks 700 based and Conquested,if only as starters? You stated Krieger and my assumption is 8 or 9"? I can see a cheekpiece on the handle,but cain't make out the lines. What boolit,how's it throated and is you leaping or loving? Speeds? Whatcha' doing for dies? I'm wondering if you are driving existing Whizzum SAAMI chambered dies and getting to the Finish Line with bushings? I believe that'd be my approach,beings I got 'em already on the shelf. Whattya' doin' for a magbox/follower? How many down?

More importantly,what wouldja' do different on the next one...if anything?

Obliged and I'll pass all along to my pard. He ain't one to linger either.

'shoes,

You's gonna talk me into a 243 yet and hangin' all of these 25's up.

Ooops...my bad.........herrrrrrrrrrrre's your sign.

Wow +P!

(Addendum):

Curious here...where'd all the Day Day Dreaming Do Nothing Dumbphucks go?!!? Is there a Jerry Lewis Telethon,Cat Show,Couch Show or Goggle Convention this weekend?!!?

Laffin'!

('nother 'dendum for RDW):

The 140's are zooking,even at distances downrange where speed has been bled off and they had in prior fashion dug with aplomb.

Answer is easy.

Scenars.

(Re-re'dendum for WSM):

Nawwwwww,"all" of that,because I think it's funny to hook the same bottom feeder multiple times and as per whim...while granting 'em opportunity to showcase their [bleep] stupidity,obliviously.

Do wax eloquent on your Imaginary Rifle and feel free to Pretend some "particulars" in it's regard. Be sure to say a leetle sumptin' about twist/throat/COAL and knock 'er outta da Park with your SD Chronicles. Don't forget to thumb a lettle F&S for "intel",prior to another riveting Installment of the "Adventures" of your couchbound [bleep] and please don't let the cat get your tongue.

If only because it'll be funnier than [bleep]!

As an aside...just how "loud" is your Imagination,when you shoot it?!!?

Thanks for the firsthand feedback.

Laffin'!

GB1

J
J
I'm not trying to covert anyone, I'm simply stating my experience with the 243. I'm not really trying to verse the 25-06 or say one is better than the other. So far the 243. has done well for me and it appears that you like your 25-06, thats great.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
270 WSM busing dies are the way to go. You could get by with the 270WSm seater as well, but I made myself a seating die. 140 bergers at 3180 from a 28 inch 8T kreiger is not too bad. I have been needing to try some 17 in em but they are working with with VVN560.
I have built about six or seven of these things all for myself. Every time I build one I let someone shoot it and it follows them home. I have done at least three on SAs and they were fine. I have some seekins DBM sitting around that would get COAL a ways out there, so I am going to try SA again.
I can slum a conquest every now and again. I have a buddy who is a big time internet retailer. He lets me know hen he is selling demos and prices accordingly. I have to say that I have never had one crap out on me yet.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Fotis
I had a 243 and a 25-06. Sold them both and settled on this.

6mm-284 Mickey stock
Shilen super match SS 1:8
All duracoated.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Is that one of those Lowes kolbart shop tables? I have 4 kinda like that in my reloading room. They are very good for the money IMO.

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Boxer

rick',

Couple pards as of late,have been zookin' their beloved 6.5 140Max's on Critters and are getting ascared of them,for such things(260AI's). Apparently Hornie thinned the jackets on purpose?

Shame.

Good schit sells itself.

Are the 140's killing?

If the jacket is too thin, and the 123 Amax only gets you to 500 BC, what's the option?

Edit, I think you answered the question with Scenar's, 123 or 139?

Last edited by RDW; 03/24/13.

Dave

IC B2

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W

WSM',

I've killed with all of them chamberings cited,amongst a host of others within the ilk,that ain't mentioned.

If ALL things are equal in differing diameters,to the tune of like projectile integrity and BC's,one can reliably take it to the [bleep] Bank,that the larger bore size is gonna squirt like weight projectiles at increased speeds over it's skinnier cousin. However...things is FAR from "equal" in differing diameters and therein lies the dilemma . Hint. For a 25 to Trump a 6mm,you gotta shovel MUCH more coal into the boiler room and the 25-06 to 243 comparison...ain't enough disparity in CC's to do that. That FACT,seems to trouble pointy-headed Windowlickers in their tinfoil hats,more than a little.(grin)

Boolits matter more than headstamps,but it's funnier than [bleep] to grant them who take exception,the opportunity to showcase their [bleep] stupidity and offer a "Treatise" upon same.

Had a 17HMR,22LR,SAAMI Hornet,223AI,22-250AI,243,6-284,7-08 and 280 in my crummy today and the winds were beyond "sporty". Schit ain't the same and it really do AMAZE me,how [bleep] few can grasp such simplistic FACTS...but obviously,they only shoot their mouths and Imaginations.

Reality ain't for everyone.

All that because I liked how someone put something in a funny way. Wow Guess I might as well say what I feel about the subject. If I did not have a rifle and was buying one just for deer/lopes as was stated I would buy a rifle chambered in .260 or 6.5x55 High BC and SD bullets, light recoil and muzzle blast and all the gun you will ever need for even those pesky quartering shots.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Boxer always so obnoxious? I don't recall that I said anything that would sound made up. I gave my opinion that I would choose one of 2 chamberings that are well proven. In a caliber known to have a good variety of bullets available and proven on a large variety of game and very well suited for what the OP said he would be hunting.

I am sorry that I found the joke about the .243, 25-06 and .270 to be funny as it must have offended you.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
One of the best killer's that can be had! Very much like the visual and auditory! Mulitude of species from 25lb to 200lb. LOTS of them!!! I hope the next lot of bullets performe the same. I bought 2500 the first go around and half thru. I saw them change with heavy .22's were they became dog traning bullets.
Originally Posted by RDW

rick',

Couple pards as of late,have been zookin' their beloved 6.5 140Max's on Critters and are getting ascared of them,for such things(260AI's). Apparently Hornie thinned the jackets on purpose?

Shame.

Good schit sells itself.

Are the 140's killing?

If the jacket is too thin, and the 123 Amax only gets you to 500 BC, what's the option?

Originally Posted by RDW

rick',

Shame.

Good schit sells itself.

Are the 140's killing?

Last edited by rickmenefee; 03/24/13.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
A 260AI on a Winny 3" receiver,throated in accords,ADL and in the Sako Hunter...wouldn't be too hard to take and noone HATES Winny's more than I.(grin)

Have thought about that very configuration many times. I went with a Stiller and Wyatt box and think very highly of it, but still, the available box length and economy of build would make the Winchester worth doing. I believe McMillan is making a Winchester Hunter now, too.

Bergers have yet to show me anything. Of the increased BC VLD-esque faction for Critters,the Scenar is far and away the cream of the crop,in regards to rugged reliability in terminal affects. The A-Max is a Fan Favorite,due the spectrum of the offerings(there's no Lapooey .284's),their inherent Precision,mild manners,availability and cost,routinely steal the show. I've often said the .224" 75A-Max,.243" 105 A-Max and .284" 162 A-Max...are of enough inherent splendor,to literally rate building a rifle around. That course remains a constant. Sierra as per always,sucks azz and Nosler remains a [bleep] joke.

Don't be too hard on the Berger Hunting VLDs. Here's a few critters I have 1st hand knowledge of that didn't care for them...

155gr VLD launched from .308

[Linked Image]

115gr VLD from .257 Wby

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

130gr VLD from .260

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n159/Hondo64d/35f1d3e2.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n159/Hondo64d/Image.jpg[/img]

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
'smoker,

I'm thinking he threw the whole project into Broughton's lap and is obviously going with their spout.

A 260AI on a Winny 3" receiver,throated in accords,ADL and in the Sako Hunter...wouldn't be too hard to take and noone HATES Winny's more than I.(grin) Would LOVE to see a 3" COAL .473" Montucky.

If I did a build on a 70 (or stainless MRC), I'd have to 7-08AI. The new MRC actions are slicked up pretty nice and guys are still paying a premium for the stainless Winchesters around here.

I have two vanilla 260 Rems. I like 'em, but I could love a 7-08AI.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice!

For several reasons, not the least of which, it wasn't about "you", everybody else isn't wrong, and success can be had, without everything else being inferior.

*Some are clownish in that regard*

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have used 180 bergers in the 7mm to take several elk,whitetail,goats never had a problem with the hunting bullet. Not enough experience really for it to count. .22 are good for Jackrabbits and dog work.
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
A 260AI on a Winny 3" receiver,throated in accords,ADL and in the Sako Hunter...wouldn't be too hard to take and noone HATES Winny's more than I.(grin)

Have thought about that very configuration many times. I went with a Stiller and Wyatt box and think very highly of it, but still, the available box length and economy of build would make the Winchester worth doing. I believe McMillan is making a Winchester Hunter now, too.

Don't be too hard on the Berger Hunting VLDs. Here's a few critters I have 1st hand knowledge of that didn't care for them...

155gr VLD launched from .308

[Linked Image]

115gr VLD from .257 Wby

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

130gr VLD from .260

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n159/Hondo64d/35f1d3e2.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n159/Hondo64d/Image.jpg[/img]

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I have not had any problems with the 140 Berger in 6.5. I forget now the longest shot but I know it was less than 300. Closest shot was 11 yards.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Doe or two laying behind the buck(same buck as above)
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Friend of mine with a yote
[Linked Image]

These don't suck either
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums...-2541499597F8-12714-0000150962C363A5.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums...-AB7477BC330B-12714-0000150940E67A2E.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums...-2C6C321EA25F-12714-000015093D02B626.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums...-419ADC906F93-12714-0000150939083E7A.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums...B-F996ADAE53CE-4784-0000082C39B0B50A.jpg[/img]

Last edited by Kaleb; 03/25/13.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
The factory paint jobs on the Montanas are quite hardy. I'd leave it as is.

Yes, and little darker than I had imagined. Actually looks/feels pretty nice. Leaving as is for the time being.

Bedded the stock last night, thanks for the pointers Darrik, got the scope on it this evening.

Light and handy is an understatement. [bleep] better shoot....grin

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Johnny Tissues,

Appreciate the "deep thinking",that was funnier than [bleep]!

Eddy,

I hear good things about Redding bushing FL dies.

RDW,

I'd most likely find myself in 123 Mode.

WSM',

It's your Imagination,Pretend with it how you wish...just keep doing so aloud,because it's funnier than [bleep].

Enjoyed the "particulars" on your Imaginary 6.5's. Laffin'! I realize the only thing you shoot is your mouth and that the Texans would welcome you with open arms,given all your "experience","knowledge" and them uncanny "results".

Here's to your doing the best you can,with what incredibly [bleep] little you have to work with.

Wow.

Hondo,

I'd whirl Bergers over SMK's...but that's about it.

'smoker,

The 7-08AI do veddy nice things in a typical 2.815" OEM Big Green box. Were I building on a new .473" donor wearing a 3" box...it'd be straight up 284Win.

There's always been serious inherent Mojo,in said parent.

Mako,

In fairness,it'd be tough to find a dumber [bleep] than you,though it's always entertaining to letcha' wax eloquent on all the things you almost did,with all the wares you almost had and from all the places you've almost been.

For an encore,say sumptin' in Spanish.

Laffin'!

kaleb,

Things change,when you leave the pasture.

Hint.

Sammo,

If it "don't shoot"...I call "dibs".

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I shot a gun once....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

'smoker,

The 7-08AI do veddy nice things in a typical 2.815" OEM Big Green box. Were I building on a new .473" donor wearing a 3" box...it'd be straight up 284Win.

I've yet to own a 284. What's real world velocity with the 162? Powder of choice?

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Boxer I always appreciate info and am more than willing to take any "hints" someone doesn't mind sharing. I'm not sure which part "changes when I leave the pasture"? Do bullets react differently on game depending on the terrain? Or is it the type of game found when leaving said pastures? Deer is mostly what we have to hunt here in the south. I'm by no means trying pimp Berger bullets or anything else for that matter just saying they worked well on a few samples.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe
I shot a gun once....

That's not what we were led to believe. After all Sticky would never lie!!!!! laugh LMAO

Swifty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe
I shot a gun once....

Me too, but after that I just talked about it on the net from the couch.

Laffin'

Page 11 of 229 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 228 229

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

228 members (2500HD, 12344mag, 22kHornet, 160user, 10Glocks, 23 invisible), 1,627 guests, and 1,061 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,759
Posts18,476,450
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.