Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I'm look for some real experiences with this ammo in people's AR's. I have heard the anecdotal "horror" stories of steel case/polymer coated ammo, but no one has experienced them first hand.

I know that cheap ammo can some time misfire (rem 22lr anybody?) but I'm more concerned if steel cases/coating will truly damage the firearm? Times are tough for finding ammo and just wanted some experiences

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I saw somewhere there was a test done with this ammo. It was ok, but you need to clean your chamber after every outing, or after every few hundred rounds as the lacquer will rub off in the chamber and build up which will lead to sticking and jambs. Also the powder is somewhat dirty so a good cleaning after every use. Probably ok to plink and sight in with, but... I do use this ammo in my SKS's and it is ok, but I also clean after every use, even the gas system and tube. I like my guns cleaned after every use. I want them ready to go if needed.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought a bunch of it in 7.62x39 from Cabelas for my vz.58 and it is crap. A lot of misfires where the primer goes off but doesn't light the powder and the bullet ends up stuck in the throat. I have to use a cleaning rod to tap the bullet loose and the powder ends up all over the action. What I have is in Herter's boxes but is Tula Arsenal ammo. Maybe mine came from a bad lot but I wouldn't buy it again, not worth the hassle.

Last edited by ColKlink; 03/21/13.

A government, to afford the needful protection and exercise proper care for the welfare of a people, must have homogeneity in its constituents.

-Jefferson Davis
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You guys shoot that crap in your good AR's if you want.
I'll pass, especially in a gun I plan on keeping.

Brass vs Steel Cased Ammo

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 700LH

^This^^^ I don't shoot that crap in any of my AR's!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 700LH

thats a very interesting read. Thank you for posting that. I dont shoot steel anyways, but its looks like its a pretty darn good thing not to.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
good read for sure. seems like an economical stop gap when ammo is tough to find and make sure you clean, and as always dont let the barrel get too hot.

I wonder if anyone ever pulls the bullet (which seems to be the worst part) and put a new one in, reusing the case/primer/powder.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That article is excellent. Some people might miss the fact the the most reliable ammo (federal) was also the dirtiest. Which should help put to rest concerns about cleaning. Use a quality carbine, quality ammo, and lube it. Then shoot all ya want. It really is that simple.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You still save money shooting steel and changing the barrels out early

I dont plan on using anything but brass if the SHTF, but I will continue to shoot steel for plinking and such

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
-Thomas Jefferson
T
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Picked up 400 rounds today, and hope to get out a shoot, also while picking up this ammo I timed it right and they were restocking the shelves and picked up 400 rounds of Fiocchi 50 gr VMAX ammo to boot! ;-)

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Steel cased rounds turn my Sig Sauer M400 into a single shot, while I haven't had a malfunction with a brass case yet.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

244 members (2500HD, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 222Sako, 21 invisible), 1,702 guests, and 1,030 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,122
Posts18,483,677
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.