Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
[b][color:#3333FF]Horse slaughter legislation[/color][/b] passed the OK Senate today and is expected to be signed by the Gov. soon.

Turned into a pretty big fight at the capital with the Humane Society getting into the fray.

I'm not crazy about horses for food, but I guess they are livestock after-all. The economic downturn combined with the drought of the last couple years led a lot of SOB's to abandon their animals and hope nobody calls the Sheriff. I see news stories all the time about it.

I guess now there will be an industry for used horses, plus it seems silly to send horses off to Mexico to be slaughtered. Must be a few jobs in that business..

What's your thoughts.?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Fire up the BBQ.... steaks for me. I would not hesitate to eat horse... If in fact if it does all pass and signed in, I will be eating some.

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
whole lot of them got turned loose to become feral or just die when the stupid legislation went through.....its a horrible law....plus feral horses and donkeys are a huge reason desert bighorns arent doing better.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
horse or cow...what's the diff....it is meat.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I think I'll start my own cooking blog and call it "Eating My Friend Flicka".

Quando omni flunkus moritati
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
People eat snakes, snails and racoons also.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Horse market really crashed when they closed down the slaughter plants.

Good Horses still bring plenty of money, but you can't give most of them away and most of those just go on to suffer and starve to death. But the tree-huggers would rather them starve or suffer then the alternative.

Life is just one damned thing after another
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sako
Fire up the BBQ.... steaks for me. I would not hesitate to eat horse... If in fact if it does all pass and signed in, I will be eating some.

To clarify, I think it's still against U.S. law to eat horsemeat. The slaughter legislation that passed will allow horses to be slaughtered in OK and sent to foreign countries for consumption.

Kinda silly if you ask me....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
All those spinsters with 40 cats were denied ponies when young, so they have no idea of what it takes to care for a horse. It's a fantasy to them, but an alluring one. Just watch a wild horse movie ("documentary") and you'll see.
Wild horses and the failure to manage them (adoption is too small of an option) is wrecking range in the West, we have thousands of horses in expensive pasture at a cost of millions -- I say, make them into dog food and steaks for Germans and Frenchies. I had a Pferd-something or other some time ago and it was pretty good. Sweetish, chewy but not tough.
We need slaughter. The wild horse idiots are just that.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
FNG Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Plenty more are made every day... why not eat 'em. My only concern would be wondering what effects could come of meds given to the horse, for the consumer. One of my horses has arthritis and has had some other issues where he has been on meds that are for vetrinary use only. Not sure if those stay in the system and pass on to the consumer. Other than that, fire up the grill!

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Wild horses and the failure to manage them (adoption is too small of an option) is wrecking range in the West

and our government in their infinite wisdom; won't send em to france and take the cash to the bank. Instead, they cull em and push em in hole.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rare please

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They are simply livestock. Steak, chicken feed, or fertilizer, I don't care.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've had horse. Some of the best red meat I've ever eaten. We don't eat them because they were more useful for work and transportation back when the laws were being made.

It's stupid.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
pony patties

Filly fillet

Stallion sirloin

colt cutlets

Horse hamburgers

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i'm all for it. a good killer market, helps the entire horse market.

the pass several years have been hard on the family horse trading business

FJB
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Horse is great, I've had it. The animal doesn't go to waste... so what is the problem.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
They're livestock, just like pigs and cattle. How else is someone supposed to affordably get rid of an over-the-hill horse?? You can't just bury the thing in the backyard with a shovel (unless you enjoy digging HUGE holes).

The number of "neglected" horses went through the roof here after they banned the slaughterhouses. People couldn't afford to take care of the things. What's more humane, a quick death at a slaughterhouse, or starving for weeks in a barren pasture????

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Some of the most brutal handling of horses I've ever seen was when the Colorado fish hatchery people loaded the horses they had bought at the sale barn. This was a few years back, okay, quite a few, but it really turned me off for taking horses to slaughter. On the other hand I've known a few horses I would take to slaughter myself but I still wouldn't brutalize them.
On the third hand there are way too many neglected, starving horses that no one can do anything with.
On balance "humane" slaughter, whatever that is, together with humane handling, I know what that is, seems to be the only answer. I would never send my horses off like that however.
I've had horse meat and don't like it much but it may be psychological.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I'd eat horse for sure.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

129 members (338reddog, 2ndwind, 257_X_50, 35WhelenNut, 300_savage, 308xray, 25 invisible), 1,649 guests, and 954 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,280
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.