Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
All animals can be pets. What's wrong with eating pets, or putting them to some other good use in their death?

GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
The estimated current free-roaming population exceeds by nearly 11,000 the number that the BLM has determined can exist in balance with other public rangeland resources and uses. The maximum appropriate management level (AML) is approximately 26,500.
(As of Feb. 7, 2013, there were 15,705 horses and 1,348 burros in corrals and 33,664 horses in pastures. The combined figure of 50,717 animals in holding compares to the BLM's total holding capacity of 52,986.) All wild horses and burros in holding, like those roaming Western public rangelands, are protected by the BLM under the 1971 Wild Free-Roaming Horses and Burros Act.
Congress appropriated $74.9 million to the Wild Horse and Burro Program in Fiscal Year 2012, which ended September 30, 2012.

The BLM 74.9 mil for just wild horses and we wonder why we are broke. We need horse slaughter in the US and to be able to eat them as well.
I make a large part of my living with draft horses doing Historic wagon trains.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
should be an entrepreurial opportunity for some small business. hire a few folks, buy a few horses.

a million dollars for a processing plant, and another million for a stand alone rendering plant next door, and voila! a rural economic development project that helps the entire state.

folks turn ratities loose around here because they can't afford to feed them any longer.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
me to , i bet it would make some good Bar-B-Q

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had a guy begging me to come shoot burros and horses off his ranch. He said they could no longer get within 1K yards of them they had hunted them so hard and could not keep the numbers in check. I hate that the guy did not mention that they were protected. Makes me think a little less of him that he was begging me to come break the law. I was actually putting the trip together to go shoot the feral animals when I learned on this site that it was illegal.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If they were destroying his property, then they wouldn't be illegal to shoot with his permission .

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
They eat horse in Belgium, France, and Italy. I have eaten it before and will eat it again next time I am in europe. It is a very lean meat and very tasty. In the countries where they eat it they view it as being more healthy than beef. tom

"if it's got tits or tires, it's going to give you grief, one way or another."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Maybe we could go back to real baseballs.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Don't see a problem with processing them.

There are folks that love to eat them,let them.

After raising horses and having to shoot a few due to injures i have no problem,Better than turning them out and them starving.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like frog legs, alligator, turtles, and an occasional snake. No possum, coon, nor any other land dwelling carrion eaters except maybe a pork chop... them things will eat anything.

But a horse? Would kindly remind me of eating my automobile or any other type of transportation.. Maybe if I was real damn hungry and somebody didn't tell me it was a horse..

Actually a horse do look like a very large squirrel..

Awh Hell! bring it on... been known to try anything... once smile

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
The blm can fine you for having horses on their / our land and it is very hard to get compensation from them for the wild horses damage to your private property. I can understand why the guy would want to shoot them. We do need processing plants for horses.
There were 3 facilities in the US when the law passed. How would you like it if as one poster said, you have 2 mil in equipment land etc and 30 employees and one day they pass a law that shuts your doors puts you out of business. All to feel good.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Horse owners will breed them as needed.

So will Packer fans.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bea175
If they were destroying his property, then they wouldn't be illegal to shoot with his permission .

REALLY? smile

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Well we don't have a horse problem around here,matter of fact,most horses around here get treated better than most folks.
That being said..don't think I could order a horseburger.
Never tried it,never will.
Everyone else....enjoy!

Roy

What this world needs is a few more Rednecks.

The Dildō Of Consequence Rarely Arrives Lubed

Waterboarding isn't illegal if you use diesel

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
All I need is some recipes.... I remember my mother being quite fond of horse roast as cold cuts for sandwiches.

Load 'em up, ship them out!

Sic Semper Tyrannis
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Horse meat is ok, at least it doesn't taste like chicken. The fat can have an orange tint that I don't care for. I have a lot of time in wild horse country northern Colorado, Nevada and Wyoming.
When I moved back 12 years ago I was suprised at the number of people from all over the world who come here to drive the Wild Horse loop from Green River to Rock Springs over White Mtn. and Pilot Butte.
We have had a run of dry years here and the trail the solid hoof horses leave almost look like someone went through with a Rome plow. If we have wagon trails from the 1840's those horse trails will be there for ever. They can tear a range up so nothing can use it.
To my knowledge there are two herds with true Mustang blood. The Steins Mtn. Oregon and the Pryor Mtn. MT.
If you go from Pyramid Lake NV to Spanish Springs BLM has huge holding pens of animals that aren't suitable for adoption. They will spend their lives in those baked adobe pens.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It was insane when the Feds decided to spend billions of dollars on wild horses. Such a waste.

[Linked Image from ]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Biggest letter writing campaign ever up until that point when Wild Horse Annie got her bill passed. And now all those little princesses who never had a pony to take care of, worship "Cloud" and friends.
Horses can be great, or they can be absolute culls. The wild ones are mostly nasty. Meat. And darn little of that. A shame. Well-managed herds could be kind of cool, but now, a complete wreck.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Around 5 percent or more of the horse population dies every year. Old and infirm and unsound horses should go to slaughter. Making it illegal just makes the ride to get to Mexico much longer and inhumane.

Killing sound wild horses is a whole different issue. Wild horses and burros are protected on Federal lands. Some states protect herds on state land. On private land the rules go out the window in most cases.

Killing horses for food in this country is hard to sell for the same reason we don't eat dogs.

Last edited by ppine; 03/28/13.

The only cure for life and death is to enjoy the interval.
George Santayana
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I didn't read the entire thread..but horse buyers have been working sales for many yrs. buying up horses for glue and dog food.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

274 members (2ndwind, 300s, 260Remguy, 12344mag, 338reddog, 338rcm, 36 invisible), 2,361 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,620
Posts18,474,012
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.