Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Sorry, please forgive me, but I am still in a state of disbelief that I ran a 5k road race this past Sunday afternoon. Wife and I work out 365/year but I am just not a runner. I am 6' and 275#...strong for a 55 year old guy, but just not the same build as the 30 year old 150# guys.

We did a "5K Run for God" Bible study starting in early February and the study culminated with us participating in a run.

I may not have set any land speed records but by God (literally) I finished the dang thing and got my t-shirt. Plan to keep running, as I can tell my legs are twice as strong as when working on treadmill/eliptical trainer as in the past....no comparison. Same goes for heart/lung capacity.

All you overweight old farts out there...it can be done...I'm living proof.

October can't get here soon enough!

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
GB1

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Great work!

It aint easy, but once you've finished, you know that no one did it but YOU! And that's a great accomplishment.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Thanks....guess no one else gives a rip....That's fine too....hope I can post some hero pics here the 2nd week in October. Fingers crossed...

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
i'm 63 and run 5-6 days a week. i have been a runner since high school. keep it up, and don't over-do it. you'll be amazed at the weight you'll lose, and how much better you will feel. running isn't for everyone, particularly those with foot/knee/hip problems, but for those up in years who can ease into running (and keep with it), one will find many benefits. best of luck and remember, long, slow distance (lsd).

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Running is the best bang for your buck when it comes to exercise. Works upper body, core, and obviously legs. Keep up the good work. When is your next race?

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I wish I could run. Never could, since I was a kid. Lungs burn, heart races. I always could and still can walk briskly over rough terrain all day, at least...

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Ran until I was 45. Then it all went at once, back, knees, ankles. Now I just walk a leasurely two miles everyday. I get spooked when I see 50 somethings (I'll be 55 in Oct) keel over from running. You don't see it as much in any other age group.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My brother is 55 and started training 14 months ago. He did a couch potato to 5k training deal to get started. After not running any in 30 years, he has stuck with it. He has now lost 50 pounds, dropped his blood pressure, cholesterol, and his joints all feel better. Heck, he is deep in training for a marathon now and race is end of April. Looks like he will do fine on it.

That is a little extreme in my opinion. I like to do 3 to 4 runs per week, 3 to 5 miles each and lift some weights. Congrats on your first race though and hope you stick with it.

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Keep it up. It gets harder every year. I'm 62 and I noticed about 10 years ago that I can't lay off for several months after my annual elk hunt in Colorado and get to the level I want to be to deal with 10k' hunting levels. I realized that to get to the level I want to be, I keep working out at a moderate but somewhat lower level all year and then I can "ramp up" through the summer more easily.

Even so, I'm still sucking wind when the climbing gets steep at 10k'.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good going and congrats on the effort. You're going to be an elk hunting/packing machine by October.

IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I'm always impressed what some older guys do. A guy from my unit and I ran a half-marathon trail race at South Mountain, NC a few weeks back. There were two guys about your age that it took me nearly 10 miles to catch and pass. Both of us agreed we'd like to be those guys in 20 years.

Keep up the work.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
congrats!!! good work

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I�m 64 and have been running since high school. I ran marathons and ultra-marathons until I was in my mid-forties. Now it�s only 4-5 times a week and 3-5 miles at a time. Still makes a difference when backpacking at and above timberline in places I don�t take the horses. Running is great training for the mountains if you live in the west or are coming out from someplace else.

I�ve got my application in this year for an elk hunt in an area I have wanted to hunt for over 20 years but it is not an area I can take the horses due to access across private land. Don�t know if I have waited too long �.�.but I am not getting any younger so I guess I�ll take the challenge. My best friend and hunting partner for over 30 years is going to tag along and will be very helpful��..he is only 62!

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I started running at age 50 and now at 63 I think it is the best thing I ever did. There is no better feeling than entering a 5K at my age and beating some of the slower runners in the 20 to 29 age group! Can still finish in the 23 minute range and in the smaller races that will get you 1st or 2nd place for the 60 to 65 age group. No doubt I am climbing the hills and mountains better now than when in my thirties and not running. Whatever you do keep training!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I admire the runners, indeed. And I also tore a left knee meniscus in 3 places last time I was doing it regularly. So now I'm back on my bike - year round (in the basement if need be). I'm not sure it is as appropriate for elking as running but it might be a titch less likely to cause damage for some. I'll run later this year in preparation for chasing high altitude elk, but I'm going to do the bulk of CV work on a bike.

I used to race bikes so I tend to enjoy them more anyway.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Congratulations. That's a great start. I am certain that running and losing weight make it easier to climb the mountains in the Fall. Especially by about day 3.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Congrats! Only ever wanted to run to score baskets or get away from trouble!
I notice a difference between the elliptical machine and actual walking uphill. My knee is sore either way, but the walking uphill is a better workout, hands down. Oh yeah, I'm 59.

Last edited by 338WIN; 04/01/13.
R
R
"I wasn't gonna go for a run but them cops came out of no where." Just kidding, heh new to here and am soaking up as much information as possible. This year will be my first year of hunting elk in Colorado and I am looking forward to it. I am turning the big 50 in a week and try to stay in shape. For me the best thing is to get out and hike in the mountains to simulate the hunt.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Great job GODOGS57. Hurry back to New Mexico for some Elk Hunting.

Get involved. The world is run by those who show up!
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by carmarkie
Great job GODOGS57. Hurry back to New Mexico for some Elk Hunting.

First week of October!!! Can't wait! Getting it bad right now.....want to head out now...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (12344mag, 1234, 10Glocks, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 153, 71 invisible), 2,331 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,536
Posts18,472,786
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.