Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I need a new sleeping pad for solo backpacking this summer and fall and was looking for some recommendations. Below are the ones I have researched and would like to try out.

Does anyone have others that should be on my test driving list? Or any feedback on the ones that I want to try?

My list of priorities are as follows: 1) Packable 2)Low weight 3) Comfort

At REI last week I laid down on the NeoAir Xlite R and was really impressed with it, the comfort was great. Even on my side my shoulder did not bottom out, only thing was that it was really noisy, and I haven�t decided how important that is.

Therm-a-Rest NeoAir XLite Short:
Dimensions: 47�x20�x2.5�
Packed size: 3.3�x9�
Weight: 8oz

Therm-a-Rest NeoAir XLite Regular:
Dimensions: 72�x20�x2.5�
Packed size: 4�x9�
Weight: 12oz

Klymit Inertia X-frame:
Dimensions: 72x18x1.5�
Packed size: 2.5�x6�
Weight: 10.1oz with pump 9.1oz pad only

Nemo Astro Air:
Dimensions: 72�x20�x2.5�
Packed size: 3.5�x8�
Weight: 1lb 4oz

Nemo Astro Air Short:
Dimensions: 48�x20�x2.5�
Packed size: 2.5�x6�
Weight: 14oz

GB1

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

JimmySee:

Fifty years ago, I used a rubberized canvas air mattress that was not insulated. It was warm enough for the conditions, which were mild, but it was heavy and I had constant problems with leaks. You would think a heavy fabric like that would be strong, but it wasn't. So I am leery of air mattresses.

I used simple cheap closed cell foam pads for a couple of decades and when I was young and tough they were all that I needed. Eventually I bought a Thermarest CampRest self inflating pad. It is heavy but warm and softer than a foam pad and it's pretty tough. Not many leaks. I bought a couple of other self inflating pads along the way. For a while I was using a 4' long ultralite Thermarest with a foam pad. That system was lighter than the CampRest and just as warm and soft.

A couple of years ago I bought a Big Agnes Insulated Air Core air mattress that was tapered. It's a good mattress but I move around too much to be comfortable on the tapered mattress. I kept rolling off in the night. I think a rectangular Insulated Air Core air mattress made by Big Agnes would be just fine and they are less exspensive (though not cheap) than a Thermarest NeoAir.

Last spring I finally laid out the cash to buy a Thermarest NeoAir standard rectangular air mattress. I used it on several backpack trips last year and I cannot think of anything negative to write about it. I've also been carrying a closed cell foam pad to protect the air mattress and prevent punctures. I'm a little paranoid about that. That makes the system heavier and this summer I will try using the NeoAir by itself but make sure to keep it inside a tent with a floor to prevent punctures.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I switched from an old 20 x 48 x (1 or 1.25) self inflating thermarest, 1985-vintage, to a Neo Air 2-1/2 x 20 x 72 last year.

The new inflatable pad is more comfortable, it's lighter, and it packs smaller. The negatives ... gotta blow it up rather than self-inflate. I noticed it is noisier but it hasn't had any effect on my sleep on the trail.

I use a mesh tent or bug bivy when I hike in summer. Mine have waterproof (ish) bottoms which provide enough protection for the inflatable pad.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Try the Neo Air XTherm and Neo Air All Season.

My All Season is nearly three years old now and has been used nearly every month in that time. From river bottoms in Montana, the Black Hills of South Dakota and the mountains of Idaho.

Not one single leak, the package with the repair kit is still unopened. I think the myth that air mattresses are unreliable is long gone. Keep it protected from pointy things and it will last you years.

I use a tarp just big enough to fit under mine, going to switch to either Tyvek or Cuben cloth here soon since the tarp is showing signs of wears.

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
- Abraham Lincoln, the Rail Splitter from Illinois.
J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Thanks guys.

The two front runners for me is the NeoAir Xlite and the Nemo Astro. While I need to find a place that caries the Nemo to test drive it, I am trying to decide if the smaller pack size is worth the extra weight.

I can't find the Nemo air Xterm or Nemo Air all season on their website, are they discontinued?

The main reason I left the Big Agnes off the list is their pack size is much larger than the others, and that's my big requirement.

IC B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by JimmySee
Thanks guys.

The two front runners for me is the NeoAir Xlite and the Nemo Astro. While I need to find a place that caries the Nemo to test drive it, I am trying to decide if the smaller pack size is worth the extra weight.

I can't find the Nemo air Xterm or Nemo Air all season on their website, are they discontinued?

The main reason I left the Big Agnes off the list is their pack size is much larger than the others, and that's my big requirement.

It'll sound strange, but check out the NeoAir XLite Women's. It's smaller than the NeoAir Regular since it's made for women but it has a higher R-value/rating. They're getting really good reviews as a good lightweight backpacking sleeping pad, shave a few ounces for a warmer pad and it rolls up to smaller than a Nalgene bottle.

I have no experience with mine, yet. I just bought it a few weeks ago based on reviews, but when I get home in 2 weeks I plan to test drive it. Whichever one you get, get the little battery powered pump for it. It weighs about an ounce and pumps up the pad for you so you don't have to blow in it.

Last edited by BoomerH; 03/28/13.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Neoair xLite... best night's sleep I've every had in the back country. Tried the regular size first but couldn't get used to my arms hanging off the side (pad is 2-1/2" thick). Went for a large and couldn't be happier. The large weighs just over 1 lbs.

It's warm enough for me in 3 seasons. For winter I add a 3/8" thick CCF pad on top.

The pad is noisy, but it's never been an issue for me or others around me, and I tend to be a light sleeper.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Don't waste your time on the Klymit Inertia X-frame unless you weigh about 150 and sleep flat on your back all night.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
IC B3

J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Elkhunter:

I am sorry, i confused brands there. The Xtherm looks interesting, same pack size, just a bit warmer and a bit more weight.

Thanks for the feedback all and Good call on the womans size, I will try that.

Anyone try the Nemo pads, they seem to pack the smallest which is my biggest priority.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Exped UL 7 ,very nice pad I think under 1lb..I'm a big fan of Exped pads.IMO I don't think they can be beat for weight and comfort..

I'm afraid that when I die,my wife will sell everything I own for what I told her I paid for it...
J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by wvtradbow
Exped UL 7 ,very nice pad I think under 1lb..I'm a big fan of Exped pads.IMO I don't think they can be beat for weight and comfort..

Good call on the Exped, I will put that one on my test drive list.

Exped UL7 XS:
Dimensions: 47�x20�x2.8�
Packed size: 3.5�x9�
Weight: 16oz

Exped UL7 S:
Dimensions: 64�x20�x2.8�
Packed size: 4�x9�
Weight: 19.8oz

Exped UL7 M:
Dimensions: 72�x20�x2.8�
Packed size: 4.3�x9�
Weight: 28.6oz

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I have spent a fair amount of time outdoors, not as much as some here, but I have been at it for 35 years and I have learned some hard lessons about "roughing" it, which generally involves a very long, cold miserable night or more.

Three things I firmly believe in.

1. Stay dry and warm

2. Sleep good

3. Eat good

If you master those three things you can handle just about anything, skimp on one, two or all three and you will be miserable.

So don't be too eager to cut too much weight from your sleep system, if you aren't comfortable and happy, it isn't worth it.

Oh and my belief on sleep systems, the insulation below you is more important than that above you, but everyone tends to focus on the bag instead of the pad. How many would cringe at spending $700.00 on a pad, but won't bat an eye at spending that on a bag.

You are right to do research on pads, but be careful where you cut corners.

I was giving very serious thought to the new Exped Downmat XP 9 coming soon.

Very hard to find information on it, but the basic specs are 72 X 20 x 3-1/2, 32 ounces, R value of 8.0. The smaller ones of course are a little lighter.

My experience has been that once you dip below freezing, you want a pad under you that has at least a 5.0 R rating. Of course the colder you get, the more R rating you will want.

You should be looking at R values too, otherwise having to pack two pads defeats the purpose of getting one light one. smile

J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by elkhunter_241
I have spent a fair amount of time outdoors, not as much as some here, but I have been at it for 35 years and I have learned some hard lessons about "roughing" it, which generally involves a very long, cold miserable night or more.

Three things I firmly believe in.

1. Stay dry and warm

2. Sleep good

3. Eat good

If you master those three things you can handle just about anything, skimp on one, two or all three and you will be miserable.

So don't be too eager to cut too much weight from your sleep system, if you aren't comfortable and happy, it isn't worth it.

Oh and my belief on sleep systems, the insulation below you is more important than that above you, but everyone tends to focus on the bag instead of the pad. How many would cringe at spending $700.00 on a pad, but won't bat an eye at spending that on a bag.

You are right to do research on pads, but be careful where you cut corners.

I was giving very serious thought to the new Exped Downmat XP 9 coming soon.

Very hard to find information on it, but the basic specs are 72 X 20 x 3-1/2, 32 ounces, R value of 8.0. The smaller ones of course are a little lighter.

My experience has been that once you dip below freezing, you want a pad under you that has at least a 5.0 R rating. Of course the colder you get, the more R rating you will want.

You should be looking at R values too, otherwise having to pack two pads defeats the purpose of getting one light one. smile

Thanks for the tips; I have spent my fair share of time in the back country, so I am not too concerned about that. The real motivation to get some more packable gear is that I have basically run out of backpacking buddies that can get hall passes from their SO and/or keep up with me. Because of this I am probably going to be doing most of my hunting in the high country this year solo, so I need more room in my pack.

If that wasn't the case I would probably keep using my old heavy gear. All of the options here will be infinitely more comfortable, warm, smaller, and lighter than my current worn out thermo-a-rest guide lite. There is nowhere to go buy up from here!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've used the old thermorests,expeds and after that big agnes synmat which was the best of the bunch for over all wt./reliablity but last fall picked up a Klymit Static V. It is a full coverage pad unlike the X frame, weighs 1lb 4oz. packed in it's stuff sack and is more comfortable to sleep on than all the others because of its air chamber design which prevents the "waterbed" effect. I haven't used it enough yet to see how reliable it will be but seems to be built as well as the BA synmat.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I will never buy another Neo air, Exped mats for me from here on out. I got tired of sleeping on the cold ground for a handful of nights on a leaky deflated Neo air. Their customer service is awesome though, sent my two old Neo airs in for repair and they sent me two new xlite pad. One of the new pads didnt even hold air right out of the box. Exped mats are more durable and for me more comfortable.

I did just order one of the new large Big Agnes Q core superlight pads. We will see how it works out. I can write up something for ya'll to compare them. I now have two Neo Air Xlite's, Neo Air All season, Big agnes Clearview, Exped synmat UL, Exped Downmat 9 DLX, Big Agnes Q-core SL, Thremarest trail lite and a Ridge rest. I will lay them all out and see how they compare to each other.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
+1 on the the Exped Synmat UL7! I use the LW 26"X77"X2.8" thick and it weighs 21ozs. Not at all noisey like the Neoair Xlite "potato chip" mats.

7mm-375Ruger
Stiller TAC 300
Broughton 5C 9tw @ 28"
Jewell Trigger
Greybull Precision stock
180VLD @ 3145fps
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have one of the early Neoairs rated to R-2, I've stayed warm on it down to 40 or so. My daughter damn near froze on it in the same temps. The regular Neo's are quite narrow. I've laid on the Klymit at REI and was impressed with it. I think a short Klymit on top of a really like evazote pad might be the ticket.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Just ran my Xtherm regular for a week, loved it. It makes scary crinkly sounds when you just lay on it without a sleeping bag, so loud I thought I might not get to sleep on one. After putting a bag on it and after a few nights on it, it now seems quite quiet and doesn't bother me at all. I sleep COLD and this really helped keep me warm. I also thrash around a bit, and end up on my stomach or side. It seemed to stay put as well as anything. My only complaint is the stuff sack inflation thing. I really struggle with it, it takes me over 50 fills of the stuff bag to air it up. Maybe I am doing something wrong, but its a pain for me. I might go back to the store and ask for a lesson.

"Do you want it "Right", or "Right now"? - always a good question.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (007FJ, 1234, 10ring1, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 57 invisible), 2,225 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,257
Posts18,486,360
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.