Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by cattle_auctioneer
Here is another idea, a sheep camp. I am building a modern day sheep camp, I am about half done. It can go almost anywhere a pick-up can go and has all of the things that you don't need. I have been taking pictures of the building process that I will post when I get done. Here is a partial list of the amenities I'm putting in it.

Wood burning stove/oven
Fridge
12 volt lights
BBQ grill
Queen size bed
Hard wood floors
Granite counter tops
Sink and water tanks

And it goes almost anywhere my truck goes
Do you have a single or tandem axle in the middle or is a 4 wheel trailer? Those can be a proper bugger to back up unless you have a lot of experience.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Any suggestions on wall tent size? Typically only 2-3 in our hunting group.
Thanks

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Ended up getting another pop up. Picked up a 2007 flagstaff by green river for $2700, all in good shape with furnace, ac, stove awning etc...

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Hypothetically, if you do buy a wall tent and you don't feel like putting a floor in it be mindful of field mice. If you hypothetically leave your clothes/bag/dry goods laying around the inside of your tent and you get a rodent that likes their new found warm home (your tent) you'll have a hypothetical hole chewed in everything you own and from then on you'll store your stuff in a plastic storage tote. Hypothetically, of course......

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
there are things known as mouse traps, hypothetically, of course...

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Good on the barby.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
If with a group and staying for several days a big canvas tent, or tents works great. Especially in Western states. I've BTDT and can recommend it.

[Linked Image]

But for most of my hunting here in GA my pop-up works better. I usually hunt alone or with 2 others at most. Most trips are only 2-4 nights. I can pack my gear and clothes, hitch up the camper where all the other gear stays anyway and be on the road in 15-20 minutes. Rounding up and packing tents, cots, cooking gear etc, takes hours.

I can drop the trailer, set up by myself and be hunting within 30 minutes instead of spending hours setting up camp. Not many big tents are pratical to set up alone. Same issues when heading home. I can break camp by myself and be on my way in just a few minutes vs hours with a tent.

BTW, mice have found their way into my pop-up too.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I can set up a 14x16 Davis by myself in thirty minutes. With two guys the whole camp can be setup and a fire burning in the stove in about forty minutes. It's really not that hard with a little planning and expiereance. And I certainly like the added room of a wall tent vs pop up is a good thing.

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by BWalker
I can set up a 14x16 Davis by myself in thirty minutes. With two guys the whole camp can be setup and a fire burning in the stove in about forty minutes. It's really not that hard with a little planning and expiereance. And I certainly like the added room of a wall tent vs pop up is a good thing.

And throw an ATV (or two), side-by-side, or a dirt bike in the mix and you either lose your truck bed space or leave it at home with a pop-up.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I would think they're apples and oranges, little if any similarity to one another. A pop-up if you move a lot, though a teardrop would be my preference, and a wall tent for a longer stay, especially if it is cold enough to get the use out of a stove.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Originally Posted by BWalker

And throw an ATV (or two), side-by-side, or a dirt bike in the mix and you either lose your truck bed space or leave it at home with a pop-up.

Good point.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nothing like a wall tent for room. Use 2x4's for a quick frame. Dome tent for dry storage. Found the 12x14 wall tent on Craigslist for next to nothing.

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Wall tents are addictive! I bought a 14 x 16 from Davis last year, and will probably get a 12 x 14 this year for a sleep tent.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I agree, nothing like a wall tent for roominess. I mostly hunt solo though so for me this hard-sided pop-up made here local in Oregun works pretty dang well:)
This was in Wyoming a few years back hunting antelopes, works slick, sets up in about a minute and tows easy and I can take it about anyplace since its not real heavy.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I like that hard sided popup. Looks good from here. Here's our mule deer camp in the sandhills of West Texas. Not many roads on this ranch.

[Linked Image </div>
<br>

</div>

<div class=
It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Rock Chuck, sorry it took me so long to reply. My wagon has a John Deer wagon gear under it. I also have several Davis tents that I love, my whole family has Davis tents. That being said, we all have sheep camps too. Love me both

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (17CalFan, 160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 56 invisible), 2,324 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,517
Posts18,490,928
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.