Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
smithwr Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Well I'm not new, I'm not even into it yet. I have a week off consecutively every month and I want to reload some basic stuff on my days off. .223, 30-06, 308 357mag. 12 gauge and 22 lr(just kidding) grin

Can someone give me a basic rundown on what components I'll need and your brand choice. I know powder primers are hard to find but I want to get everything I need. Also there's a million instructional books out there, I need a reccomendation on that too. Thank you very much.

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Well I would say don't even think about getting into reloading until you have between $200-300 minimum. I would recommend you get at least 3 Manuals, your choice, and read the introductions until you have a thorough knowledge of basic reloading. Finally, have someone that is experienced sit down w/you for an evening while your in the process of reloading. There are many different starter kits available but you'll still need a trimmer and calipers, Don't get discouraged or frustrated if you want to reload...just take it slow and be careful. powdr

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I got started with a RCBS Rockchucker Supreme reloading press and kit, which included the Speer #13 reloading manual. I was a total greenhorn and between the book and the press instructions was quickly loading. Still learning 8 years later.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by smithwr
Well I'm not new, I'm not even into it yet. I have a week off consecutively every month and I want to reload some basic stuff on my days off. .223, 30-06, 308 357mag. 12 gauge and 22 lr(just kidding) grin

Can someone give me a basic rundown on what components I'll need and your brand choice. I know powder primers are hard to find but I want to get everything I need. Also there's a million instructional books out there, I need a reccomendation on that too. Thank you very much.

I love Speer and Nosler bullets, and their manuals.

But Hornady has an excellent reloading manual that is very well illustrated, and a section that [I think] describes better than most manuals what happens when a cartridge is fired .....

And how to construct reloaded ammo!
Hornady's is an excellent manual to have.

Also, While Lyman [centerfire metallic] manuals are paperback, they also are a best-buy manual for illustrations and extemporaneous information/instruction.

I won't recommend equipment (enough folks have already). But if you can actually reload with someone, that will likely show you the ropes sooner and easier than sometimes getting frustrated by yourself.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
All the above is good advice but I would recommend buying the latest Lyman manual before you go any further. All the Lyman manuals are very extensive in the early chapters as to to how to's and where of's of reloading. My advice, for what its worth, is to buy the latest Lyman manual and read it two or three times before you go any further. Once you've bought and read their manual you'll have a better perspective as to the pitfalls and advantages of reloading. JMOOMV. Oh, just as an aside, don't discount the value of "Lee Loaders" and the experience that you can gain from using them.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Having a mentor is the best way, as long as they are a teacher and not a know-it-all. You can start with as simple as a Lee Loader and work up, or go with a complete set. If you can use a friends stuff until you know what you want, it will answer questions you may have.
Oh, if you find a powder supply, please pm me. smile

I think, therefore I am, conservative.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Start with a kit (Lee, Hornady, Lyman, RCBS, Redding). You'll have all you need and save some money over putting it together one piece at a time. Here's Midway USA's site: http://www.midwayusa.com/find?userSearchQuery=reloading+kit

While I prefer Hornady, Lee seems to be well liked and costs less.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
i started with the lee kit. it was a great way to start and i am still using it.

don't bother with the goopy sizing lube. use wax spray like hornady one shot. way easier.

buy an electric scale, saved me tons of time and they're not expensive.

double check everything you do. not worth ruining a gun or your face, to gain speed.

buy a caliper so you can measure overall length and seating depth.

you can start with the powders that overlap some of the cartridges you want to load, such as varget, h4350, etc. make DAMN sure you don't have more than one powder out at a time. accidentally pouring one into another is very very bad.

use a flashlight to compare each case in your loading block before starting to seat bullets, to make sure you didn't overcharge one.

don't think that you can cheat the book. it's maximum for a reason. i often find accuracy well before the absolute max load.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
oh, and don't for one second think you're going to save money doing this. you've just opened the door to another expensive hobby which lets you simply shoot more rounds before blowing your budget. smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
oh, and don't for one second think you're going to save money doing this. you've just opened the door to another expensive hobby which lets you simply shoot more rounds before blowing your budget. smile

WOOOHOOO!!! I've been telling "new to reloading" guys that for 40 years. Blown a lot of money down barrels (pun) and loved every bit of it...

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
i started with the lee kit. it was a great way to start and i am still using it.

don't bother with the goopy sizing lube. use wax spray like hornady one shot. way easier.

buy an electric scale, saved me tons of time and they're not expensive.

double check everything you do. not worth ruining a gun or your face, to gain speed.

buy a caliper so you can measure overall length and seating depth.

you can start with the powders that overlap some of the cartridges you want to load, such as varget, h4350, etc. make DAMN sure you don't have more than one powder out at a time. accidentally pouring one into another is very very bad.

use a flashlight to compare each case in your loading block before starting to seat bullets, to make sure you didn't overcharge one.

don't think that you can cheat the book. it's maximum for a reason. i often find accuracy well before the absolute max load.

This, a mentor, MINIMUM three manuals, and you are good to go.
The Lee stuff is just fine, the kit comes with a great manual with LOTS of info. After you get the hang of it, you may need a cat.

Best of luck, and be prepared to be addicted, it's great.

Sean
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Like has been said get 3 load manuals, buy a kit, calipers, then some components and have a mentor show you how. Over 30 years ago I had a friend show me how using a lee loader. I had 4 manuals for 2 years and had been reading them all the time. Over the years I bought a good scale, RCBS press, dies to replace the lee loaders that I had. A good kit would have saved some money. I still go back and read my old manuals and look for older manuals and books for more info, even though it is out dated. Good Luck Randy

US Army Ft Carson, Co 1976 to 1979
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Videos from some of the reloading equipment and component sources, such as Hornady, are probably available, and can show techniques. I think that metallic cartridge and shotshell loading would be covered in different videos and manuals.

I think that Lyman manuals for metallic and shotshell are good to have.

Last edited by Marlin1895; 03/31/13.
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
no substitute for a mentor or just watching someone do it.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
On the Redding reloading website there is a link to an Handloaders article on basic reloading which is really good.

358win

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Today, go visit the Lee reloading websight and check out a few videos. Very helpful, informative and short. It might help make sense of things before you get started. I have been reloading for 8 or 9 years and just used one of the 30 second videos to resolve a minor annoyance that I thought was inherent.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
smith,

I would suggest that you find a copy of the ABC's of reloading... It is very basic. Other than that, the biggest resource one can have is a Mentor. He will guide you through the basics of getting started like adjusting your dies, etc.. Which is hard to learn from a book. Actually doing it is not that difficult, but the understanding WHY is more trying. smile

Also, remember that whomever gives you advice on brands will likely tell you the brands they own. (No one wants to admit they made a poor choice... right?) They all have something to offer, or they wouldn't be in business... And NOBODY, not even the writers have the time or the means to buy and test ALL the brands of reloading equipment.

If your consumer spending is guided by price, then Lee is the cheapest. (And the cheapest is ALWAYS the least quality...) And for the most part, the most expensive is USUALLY the highest quality. But remember: If you start with the cheapest, and decide to upgrade later, then you have bought twice! (Which is often more expensive then buying the best to begin with...) smile It's your money and your call! wink My personal buying philosphy is to start with what you're going to end up with. YMMV...

BTW, I have a copy of the ABC's of Reloading, PM me your snail mail addy and I'll ship it out to you (If I can find it, that is...)

Hope the above is some help...

GH

P.S: And another thing, Don't even consider a progressive press at this time. Far better to learn what you are doing and WHY... Progressives are meant for experienced reloaders...

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The mentor does not have to be local. He can even be in another state, right Grasshopper? wink

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
i suggest you start with the lee loading system & the book by lee. the least expensive is not "always" the worst equipment. you may find you only reload 3 or 4 hundreds of rounds a year. i know well to do people that started with lee in the 60s & still use lee. if you are going to reload for many calibers & shoot 250 pistol rds. a week you can always move up to faster systems.----cranky72

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
People still buy reloading manuals? I've never owned one. All of the powder manufacturers have plenty of data online. If you go to youtube and search for "reloading ammo" you'll find a huge amount of instructional information. Books are nice to have, but if I was on a limited budget, it's the last thing I'd spend my money on if I had an internet connection. YMMV.

As far as components go, there aren't too many rifle cartridges you can't load with Hodgdon H4831 and Varget. Good powders to stock up on.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

382 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 19rabbit52, 1lesfox, 47 invisible), 3,265 guests, and 1,130 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,639
Posts18,533,591
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.