Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
new to bowhunting. looked at scott sabertooth but looks kinda big. whats the best release from Scott archery. also single or double caliper?

GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I've used both single and dual caliper releases in the Scott's line, and I will tell you that I went to Tru-fire with closed jaws for hunting.

Scott's are a bullet proof release, haven't have any issues with quaility or function on ones I've used for the last five years.

The Sabertooth design changes my anchor point bit from the dual caliper models, I'd recommend that you shoot both at your local Pro Shop before buying either, as each will probably feel/anchor slightly different.

However, Scott's design is a "fail open" design, the jaws will pop open without tension from the D-loop, or your finger behind the trigger. While it works, I found myself "fumbling" too much to get the release hooked up, and range, and watch game, and keep silent.

With the Trufire, I could hook the release (jaws remain tensioned closed until you pull the trigger) and focus on the game and not worry about the release popping loose and having to re-hook. JMO.

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
so the scotts would pop open on its own? which tru fire do u recommend

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have 2 Scott Lil'Goose releases that I have been shooting for years. Great releases, smooth and reliable no problems in thousands and thousands of shots.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Sort of...the Scotts dual caliper jaw design is set hold itself closed when pressure is applied from the d-loop on the jaws, IE, pulling back on the draw. The Saber Tooth is different, you set the single jaw, and draw when ready.

If you let up on the pressure, and your finger is not solidly behind the trigger, the Scott jaws will open and release your d-loop.

It is important to note that the Scotts jaws will NOT open as long as a continous pressure is applied. They won't open on you at half-draw in other words. What I found was that when I moved to stand-up, or turned to draw, the Scotts would pop off, or I would bump it with a finger tip, and set it off before drawing.

It reads like more of a problem than it probably is, operator headspace/timing would solve some of this, but it was one less thing I wanted to fuss/fumble with when getting to shoot.

I use the Edge with a buckle and the fold back feature. The Trufires will not open unless you pull the trigger.

So I can now lock on the d-loop, range a target, stand, turn, shake, stop breathing, sweat, and get ready to shoot without loosing my hook on the string for the draw.

Does this provide a clearer picture?

Again, I'd shoot both before buying either one.

I still shoot my Scotts for 3-D and range work, they are a solid product, but work better for me on the range.

IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
gotcha. gonna order me an Edge then

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That must be a feature of the Sabertooth only, my lil goose releases just clip on and stay there until the trigger is pulled.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I have used Scott's for years and they make good stuff, but then I tried a Carter RX-1. The Scott is now my backup.

http://www.carterenterprises.com/releases/index-finger-trigger/rx1-a-rx2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by centershot
I have 2 Scott Lil'Goose releases that I have been shooting for years. Great releases, smooth and reliable no problems in thousands and thousands of shots.

That's all I use also.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
After shooting a Tru-Fire for years I switched to a Dual Caliper Scott Wolf and I love it.

Retired and Loving It!!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by killindeer
gotcha. gonna order me an Edge then

You really need to try several releases to figure out what feels best in your hands. Any decent pro shop will have many options for you to try, so do that before ordering anything.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Save yourself several hundred dollars and plan a trip to your nearest Pro Shop to try out several releases. Like many here, I've bought/sold/traded more releases than I care to admit before settling on what suits me best.

I do like Scott releases and have shot the Little Goose, as do both my boys to this day. I moved on to Carter thumb releases and have been shooting/hunting with a Carter 4 finger Chocolate Lite thumb release. I have a big paw, it fits and works for me, & I like thumb releases.

Last year I had to have a new Carter 4 finger Simple 1 thumb release, started the hunt over on AT and found a new one.

Now its s toss up between the Chocolate Lite & the Simple 1. To make it worse, Carter introduced their newest thumb release, the Too Simple. Maybe I'll need to try it also???

Hope you can see where this is going at about $190 each retail for the Carter thumb releases.

Find what works for you at the Pro Shop and stick with it.

Good Luck.

NRA Life Member
USPSA Life Member

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

143 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 280shooter, 257_X_50, 21 invisible), 1,474 guests, and 1,072 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,993
Posts18,481,123
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.