Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#7608824 04/01/13
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The journey begins

[Linked Image]

The new location = flatter ground, better soil, less weeds. It's been so cool that even the corn I planted didn't come up so I disked up and will start over. We had a couple of light freezes after I planted but some grass was starting so I didn't mind cutting it under.

It's long and I'll not plant it all, of course, but had to move the electric fence to keep the deer out. With no electric fence the only way you'll get any peas is to plant more than the deer can eat.

My Roma tomatoes are about ready to set out so I'll get them in the ground first. Corn (Silver King sweet corn) will follow next week.

My dad always told me that until the night temps got to about 65 you're just wasting time planting early. I may have to start believing him.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dang,..you could land a small plane on that.

My tomatoes are about 1.5" tall under the grow light...

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'll grant you that it's a tad large but I'll have room just in case it hits the fan and we need the food. I'll not plant it all but I'll keep it tilled just for weed/grass control.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice looking spot Mickey we're so abnormally cold we can't do much right now.Snowed a little last night but going down to 21 tonight..yep global warming in the plains! crazy

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dang nice planting area there Mickey, My Dad loved to garden also and he loved to plant early and had great success with it.

He used walls of water until all danger of frost was past.

Good luck!

http://www.amazon.com/Wall-Water-Gardening-Teepees-3-Pack/dp/B0006IH400

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MColeman
The journey begins

[Linked Image]

The new location = flatter ground, better soil, less weeds. It's been so cool that even the corn I planted didn't come up so I disked up and will start over. We had a couple of light freezes after I planted but some grass was starting so I didn't mind cutting it under.

It's long and I'll not plant it all, of course, but had to move the electric fence to keep the deer out. With no electric fence the only way you'll get any peas is to plant more than the deer can eat.

My Roma tomatoes are about ready to set out so I'll get them in the ground first. Corn (Silver King sweet corn) will follow next week.

My dad always told me that until the night temps got to about 65 you're just wasting time planting early. I may have to start believing him.

Look like a typical east Tx. garden. Good planting in your new spot.

BP...

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Dang nice planting area there Mickey, My Dad loved to garden also and he loved to plant early and had great success with it.

He used walls of water until all danger of frost was past.

Good luck!

http://www.amazon.com/Wall-Water-Gardening-Teepees-3-Pack/dp/B0006IH400

I'm too lazy and cheap to try those. smile

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
Dang,..you could land a small plane on that.

My tomatoes are about 1.5" tall under the grow light...

I used a grow light and heating pad for the first time this year. They're great.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I leave that gardening to my daughter and she is good at it. Selling off some old cows today, gonna get some Charlois/Angus crosses to try this time. Some of the cows sold have produced calves for near 20 years, time to turn em into burger!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Where you putting the tree stands? wink

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by T LEE
I leave that gardening to my daughter and she is good at it. Selling off some old cows today, gonna get some Charlois/Angus crosses to try this time. Some of the cows sold have produced calves for near 20 years, time to turn em into burger!

Twixt you and Mickey you could start a helluva burger joint!

McTlees.........

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I used a grow light and heating pad for the first time this year. They're great.

Mr. Coleman,Many times I've thought about buying a light and a pad for my peppers to give them an early start in the season but I've read that most of the products out there are junk.

Care to share what you bought ?

Denny.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
find a used waterbed heater

Feel the Bern in your wallet.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I bought them from Johnny's Seeds. I'll get the names off the units today for you.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Originally Posted by T LEE

Twixt you and Mickey you could start a helluva burger joint!

McTlees.........

I hope he's raising some lettuce.........and some taters.........and some cooking oil..........and.....

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
looks delicious, mickey ...

paul foreman
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
good thing you have the electric fence. The last garden I had the deer ate everything but the tomato stakes. Even gnawed them a little. They paid that fall though..

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like big gardens.

Like to space things out enough so when I get ham handed doing the weeding, it gives me more room to maneuver.

Actually trying some hops this year, despite our conditions not being optimal.

Horseradish as well.

As far as the deer go, I have a patch out past the real garden that I broadcast and till left over seeds into. Kind of a decoy smorgasbord that keeps them busy.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 284LUVR

Mr. Coleman,Many times I've thought about buying a light and a pad for my peppers to give them an early start in the season but I've read that most of the products out there are junk.

Care to share what you bought ?

Denny.

Denny, I just posted the information in another thread. I didn't want it to get buried in this thread. Hope it helps you.
Mickey

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
We still got 3 feet of snow on the ground and it was 0*F this morning. Thinking the garden will have to wait a few days, but your spot looks premium!

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (1234, 1936M71, 007FJ, 204guy, 160user, 1lessdog, 56 invisible), 2,430 guests, and 1,166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,527
Posts18,491,115
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.