Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by Barak
But if you really want to do some mass killing--millions, say, rather than a paltry few dozen--then the very best weapon available for the purpose, bar none, is a government.

What, are you going for the intuitively [bleep] obvious? Still, I doubt the government had anything to do with the Black Plague or the great Influenza epidemic of 1918. Sorry if that ruins your profundity...
Those weren't cases of murder.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
But if you really want to do some mass killing--millions, say, rather than a paltry few dozen--then the very best weapon available for the purpose, bar none, is a government.

What, are you going for the intuitively [bleep] obvious?

You bet. Don't let the government take away the people's weapons, because the government is about a thousand times more likely to kill you than the people--even the crazy people--are.

During the 20th century, the death toll from private murderers, including serial killers, all around the world totaled probably somewhere between 100,000 and 300,000; the death toll from governments killing their own subjects was in the neighborhood of 200,000,000. There's your factor of 1000.

Still, I doubt the government had anything to do with the Black Plague or the great Influenza epidemic of 1918. Sorry if that ruins your profundity...

Probably governments didn't start them, but they may have made them worse than the needed to be. For example, Alexander Yersin was persecuted by the British government when he did the research that resulted in the discovery of the bacterium that caused the Black Death, and if it hadn't been for the overcrowded conditions in the various World War I militaries, the influenza epidemic might not have spread so widely.

That's not what we're talking about, though. We're talking about whether governments with weapons are more dangerous than crazy people with weapons, and the answer to that is an unqualified Hell Yes.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by lauren
here is how a background check could help, let's say dude is determined to off himself, walks in BG check says,,wait three days. which has happened to me and is total BS for myself but whatever. Guy in my town walked in, bought a shotgun, shot himself in the parking lot. Glad I did not see that.

You are a moron. You state that he waited the three days, picked up the gun and still killed himself. How did a background check help. He was determined to off himself. If he hasn't bought the gun he would have hung himself. OD'd on pills or a choice of a multitude of other ways. Again idiot you just can't wrap yourself around the fact that it is the mental intent of these people to kill themselves or others. The tool has absolutely nothing to do with causation

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I oppose all background checks. They should abolish what we have.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The current Arkansas Legislature passed just such a law. Democrat Governor did not vetoed it but it is expected to be overridden. They claim they have the votes, just have not "goter dun" yet. miles

They overrode his veto yesterday. We now have voter ID that will go into law Jan. 2014. miles

I just noticed this mistake. He did veto it but was overridden yesterday. miles

Last edited by milespatton; 04/02/13.

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

What, are you going for the intuitively [bleep] obvious? Still, I doubt the government had anything to do with the Black Plague or the great Influenza epidemic of 1918. Sorry if that ruins your profundity...

Neither were those KIA during wars. As to Bark's statement, it's obvious a government has the means to kill than ordinary citizens, but apparently that's a revelation to you..

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
No need to even BUY a gun to off one's self.
Our range has had a suicide a year with folks ( men and women ) RENTing a gun.
The new shop will only rent to people who are accompanied by another ( unless a member and well know by the owners )

It is such a mess to clean up after a gun shot suicide in a business!

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Here in Commirado, as if it's not bad enough that the reigning Commies passed the Universal Background Check and magazine bans, now they're working on passing a $1B tax increase and they've given a bill to the Guv which gives full police powers to the Secret Service in the state. We are so [bleep] up here.

Glockin' Bob
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." -- Thomas Jefferson
"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ColsPaul
No need to even BUY a gun to off one's self.
Our range has had a suicide a year with folks ( men and women ) RENTing a gun.

cheap bastards!

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am totally against background checks that involve telling the government what kind of gun I'm purchasing. That is none of their damn business.

However I'm OK with a binary background check as long as I could do it without someone profiting from it. For example, if I want to sell a gun to person X, then I go to a website , type in the persons name and it comes back saying they can purchase a gun.

I could do that at my house, public library, any place with wifi. They could require every gun show setup a booth with a few computers to do checks for private sales.

I print that out or store it online, and if person x were to take the gun I sold him and shoot up a post office, then even if he talks to the cops, I'm covered.

But I'd only be willing to do that if they also dropped the rules about me buying/selling a gun online or in a different state. That is just a tax via FFL owners.

If I'm going to give up something I have to get something in return. It would also make my local gunshops more competitively priced.

Last edited by KFWA; 04/02/13.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I got an Email from Senator Pryor, Democrat, Arkansas, today and he stated that they are working on some bill to keep the crazy people from buying guns. This is a Slippery slope and most likely morph into something dangerous for us legal gun owners. miles

Last edited by milespatton; 04/02/13. Reason: put the nd on and

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Background checks are unenforceable without a registry.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Here's the difference:

Background check: A FFL must perform a check on you before he sells you a firearms.

Universal Background Check: You must go to a dealer and have him perform a background check, on your best frind, and pay a fee, before you let him shoot your rifle at the range.

So that's it....well damn mad

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by KFWA
I am totally against background checks that involve telling the government what kind of gun I'm purchasing. That is none of their damn business.

However I'm OK with a binary background check as long as I could do it without someone profiting from it. For example, if I want to sell a gun to person X, then I go to a website , type in the persons name and it comes back saying they can purchase a gun.

I could do that at my house, public library, any place with wifi. They could require every gun show setup a booth with a few computers to do checks for private sales.

I print that out or store it online, and if person x were to take the gun I sold him and shoot up a post office, then even if he talks to the cops, I'm covered.

But I'd only be willing to do that if they also dropped the rules about me buying/selling a gun online or in a different state. That is just a tax via FFL owners.

If I'm going to give up something I have to get something in return. It would also make my local gunshops more competitively priced.
If you were to be required to check the background of all to whom you sell a firearm, the government will require that you maintain a record of the sale to protect yourself from later prosecution on the charge of not doing the background check. Do you want that legal obligation under pain of criminal prosecution for the remainder of your life?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by JustOneGunner
Background checks are unenforceable without a registry.
Exactly, even if the registry is to be kept with each private seller under pain of prosecution for failure to do so.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

If you were to be required to check the background of all to whom you sell a firearm, the government will require that you maintain a record of the sale to protect yourself from later prosecution on the charge of not doing the background check. Do you want that legal obligation under pain of criminal prosecution for the remainder of your life?

more than I want to pay a dealer $30 to do it for me. Assuming I do the check, you know our government is going to store it online with a timestamp anyway. My legal obligation would be no more than to say on this date I sold a gun to person X and your system said he was a "yes, OK to purchase". It wouldn't be any more complicated than how Amazon tracks my order history.

Like I said, if its easy to do where its not like registering a car, I can live with it....if it means I can go to a gun show , store or individual in any state and buy whatever gun I want (thats deemed legal) I'll gladly make that trade off.

Its all just fantasy on my part though because 1. there is no way the government is going to just settle for a binary approval process and not take the gun information 2. The government is going to make sure whoever has the best lobbyists is going to profit from the new law.

but that would address what everyone is clamoring for background checks in the first place - keeping guns out of the hands of felons. (not that I'm saying it would work, just that it addresses that issue to their current concerns)

Gun registration is a different ball game.

Last edited by KFWA; 04/02/13.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Neither were those KIA during wars.

You and I could undoubtedly argue about that, in a number of the cases, but that's not what I'm talking about.

When I say that in the 20th century governments killed in the neighborhood of 200 million people, I'm not talking about wars, I'm talking about mass murder of their own frequently-unarmed civilian subjects. The Branch Davidian massacre would count. The MOVE debacle would count. The Holocaust would count. The Great Leap Forward would count. People killed because of their skin color or because of their ancestry or because of their religion or because of their political affiliation or just because they're too alive.

The only differences between the reasons crazy people kill people and the reasons governments kill people is that governments have more and more highly-paid propagandists to come up with apologetics for them.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Neither were those KIA during wars.

You and I could undoubtedly argue about that, in a number of the cases, but that's not what I'm talking about.

When I say that in the 20th century governments killed in the neighborhood of 200 million people, I'm not talking about wars, I'm talking about mass murder of their own frequently-unarmed civilian subjects.
He knows what you meant. He's just playing stupid ... or at least I hope he's just playing.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Bad. What about the person who you are selling to? You've just [bleep] him. There is no way you are "covered" unless you are keeping a record of the guy's info. If you bought the gun new or if some guy did the same to you, all ATF has to do is come down on you after they see the record at the initial FFL. Then you give up the guy you sold it to in order to "cover" yourself. This certainly isn't civil disobedience. Maybe somebody says, "but I'd never rat anybody out,". Maybe they wouldn't or maybe they wouldn't until the Feds came knocking. In the first place, I know of nobody who will trade their own freedom just to keep somebody they sold a gun to out of jail, on principle. Nobody. Secondly, who would want their own freedom to hinge upon the willingness of some virtual stranger to go to jail for them?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Looks like you already posted most of what I said. Sorry for the double-coverage. I will add one thing though. Whether the record-keeping is required or not the seller will not be "covered" if there is some requirement and everybody is following it, unless he keeps a record. Otherwise the Feds looking for say, assault weapons, will just assume you still have yours and are lying about the sale and prosecute you anyway.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

495 members (1234, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 55 invisible), 4,242 guests, and 1,372 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,700
Posts18,534,653
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.