Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I just watched Alone in the Wilderness, the story of Dick Proeneke's life in Alaska. Public television showed parts I and II back to back.
That man was an amazing carpenter and builder. He was actually quite philosophical too. Having been to Alaska about 10 years ago bear hunting, I had an even greater appreciation for his labor and beautiful film making. My 15 year old daughter watched it with me and it made her want to go to Alaska even more. She thought he was amazing and awesome and that kids today should see what self-reliance is all about. I�m planning on buying the book One Man's Wilderness, An Alaskan Odyssey. Has anyone read this book and what are your thoughts about it?
For all you outdoorsmen that haven�t seen this story you really should watch it. You�ll spend a couple hours in awe of his skills and the rest of your time in wistful thought of what could have been in your younger days.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
People have been talking about this fellow for years, lots of posts over time here about him, he was quite the fellow, lived a life a lot would envy, have not ready any books on it, just seen the video.
He would have been interesting to meet.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I have my entire Alaska studies class watch it. Proeneke's book is good his extended journey is even better. If you like that then you should get James Campbell's Final Frontiersman about Heimo Korth and also work to get This Is My Alaska by Leroy Buster Sherbal.

Sincerely,
Thomas

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I read the book and it was fantastic. What he did is at the core of any outdoor enthusiast. His craftmanship was out of this world.

One who is a vegetarian is not living life too the fullest.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
His enormous capabilities with simple hand tools is what amazed me. He could have hacked out a living anywhere in the world.

Keep your gun-hand ready and your eyes peeled.
IC B2

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks for the book suggestions kaboku68. I must admit that I�m quite smitten with Alaska and love reading the older hunting and fishing stories. I enjoy the older Alaskan magazines when I can find them. I will certainly check out the books you recommended.
And I agree with you Jocko Slugshot. His skill with an axe and chisel was amazing. I was blown away by the boards he ripped and how exacting his cuts were. My son wants to make bunk beds, so I think we are going to use Dick�s methods and make them this summer.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I knew Dick. I used to hunt in the Twin Lake area. That's where his cabin is. He was a good guy.
Her kept a daily journal. A historian for the Nat. Park Service has the journals. He is transcribing the journals and putting them in book form. The last time I talked to him, he was working on the second book. I've got the first one around somewhere. It's a good read and gives a bit more insight to Dick. If your interested, I can try to find the book and give you the info.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
BrnBear I appreciate the offer and would appreciate the information. I plan on watching the series again because they will show it a few times in the next week or so on my public television station. My boys want to watch it since they heard me and my daughter going on about how amazing Dick Proenneke was with building his cabin and other items.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by tnscouter
I must admit that I�m quite smitten with Alaska and love reading the older hunting and fishing stories.

You would probably enjoy "Alaska's Wolf Man" about Frank Glaser.

http://www.amazon.com/Alaskas-Wolf-Man-Wilderness-Adventures/dp/1575100479

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kaboku68
I have my entire Alaska studies class watch it. Proeneke's book is good his extended journey is even better. If you like that then you should get James Campbell's Final Frontiersman about Heimo Korth and also work to get This Is My Alaska by Leroy Buster Sherbal.

Sincerely,
Thomas

hi Thomas, I really appreciate the book references as well.

really interested in getting the book about Heimo since I know him a bit after working for the same outfit one season.

he's quite a character and a great guy

he's a big fan of Kirk Sweetsir, claims Kirk saved his wife's life by flying her to the clinic during a hard child birth. Heimo had made a sign out of rocks on the beach and was beside himself. really looking forward to reading both tomes

and yes Dick was a renaissance man, not only his skills to build, but his skills to record the process.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Amazing individual. It would have taken a very strong personality to survive that isolation though. Not for me.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I watch it every time it comes on PBS (hey PBS oughta do SOMEthing right now and then, and this is it). His skills with the tools were amazing.

I DO recall him sitting beside his fireplace during a winter spell, and it was a "toasty" 40 degrees in his cabin. That's a bit cool for me...............

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I watched it no less than a dozen times and it never ceases to amze me.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
His craftsmanship was amazing. I wonder how many people 150 years ago would have compared to his same level of ability and ingenuity. I fear we are probably going downhill in many ways.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I heartily agree with all the posts here, Dick had skills that were well put to use during his years in Alaska, and the shows on PBS never fail to amaze me. I too have watched them probably 6-8 times and each time I marvel at his talent and tenaciousness.

He was a salty guy with more spunk than 99% of Americans today.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by kaboku68
I have my entire Alaska studies class watch it.
It was also required reading in my son's 11th grade lit class.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I found his journal somewhere online a few years back and read it. A couple points that stick in my mind are:

he was talking about going for a hike in the snow. He said after hiking several miles, it's good to take your shoes off and put your feet in the snow to cool them off. It was 20 degrees.

Another was a night when it dropped to a record -50 or so. He said the logs in his cabin were cracking.

another was when he flew to a friends to work on a tractor. They offered to fly him back home and he said he'd rather walk. It was 15-20 miles.

And a last one, it was something like -20 and he said it was getting a little nippy out.

That's one dude I'd like to have met

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I knew Dick as my Dad and I flew in the Twin Lakes area quite a bit. We stopped many times at his place. Dick was an amazing person but one thing about him I disliked was his attitude towards others in 'his wilderness'. He had a very poor attitude towards anybody sport hunting or especially guiding hunters in the twin lakes area. Other cabin owners especially disliked him esp. after their hunting cabins misteriously burned down. He was squatting on 'his homestead' then worked tirelessy to propmote the area for LCNP, which it eventually became. No more hunting. He made a sweet deal to be allowed to squat there until he decided to leave. He was no friend of sport hunting, but he was a hell of a craftsman. One other thing about that Twin Lakes country I remember is how fricking COLD it would get thre in the winter! It would be 15 degrees at Lake Clark and 35 below at Twin Lakes. The temperature diferential was unreal! there was a mineral lick that we used to visit and watch the sheep and caribou. I've always wanted to go back and see that again. Theres one hell of a lot of gold in that country too.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I've watched it many times and his ingenuity and craftsmanship is amazing. Another good read is The Final Frontiersman, it's a book about Heimo Korth who moved from Wisconsin to ANWAR and raised a family up there. It's not the feel good story that Alone in the Wilderness is, but it's a real story of what it's like truly living in the wilderness and off the land. A lot of people think it would be fun to do - read this book and see how much fun it would be!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 160user, 12344mag, 49 invisible), 2,022 guests, and 1,359 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,763
Posts18,495,552
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.