Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
H
hemi82 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Have not posted here in a while but thought some of you may be able to help out. Been planning a 2013 fall Brown Bear hunt in UNIT 17. I am currently looking at booking with Don Duncan "smokey" from Alaska Private Guide Service. I know that you all recommend Phil Shoemaker but Im sure he is booked full by now and his area is a more expensive hunt.
looking for any input on this outfitter Good or bad

GB1

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
PM sent

CrossHair Consulting
www.crosshairconsulting.com
406-439-8512
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
PM sent

CrossHair Consulting
www.crosshairconsulting.com
406-439-8512
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Do some research on this site about Phillip before you book with him. His Outfitter has a blatant lie on his site. I would never hunt with a liar.
There is a couple guides from S.E. Alaska who post here. They hunt from boats. I can't remember their name.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Justin Johns hunts 17 still I believe and while he's sometimes a bit sketchy on food offerings or gear (or was in the past)

that dog can hunt, and he's fun to spend time with in the field, he's taken some very nice hoggish bears out of the Togiak refuge.

don't know how many assistant guides he's running these days, or who they are, but Justin is a pretty decent bear man.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
IC B2

M
M
Been planning a 2013 fall Brown Bear hunt in UNIT 17. I am currently

H
hemi82 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Originally Posted by Michaeljohn

Huh confused

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BrnBear
Do some research on this site about Phillip before you book with him. His Outfitter has a blatant lie on his site. I would never hunt with a liar.
There is a couple guides from S.E. Alaska who post here. They hunt from boats. I can't remember their name.

?????

there are more than a few good guides in SE but If you remember who they is you might post their names on here.
and who is this Phillip who works in unit 17 that has an outfitter who is a liar?

If you do end up booking with either Justin Johns or John Peterson in unit 17 you should have a great hunt as both men know their business and have been doing it for decades.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by Michaeljohn

...currently being attacked by bears and looks like that might fall through.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hey! It's old liar Phillip. Did you get internet service down there at the lake where you "live year-around in the Alaskan bush?"
Oh yea, I forgot. You have a small house up there near Fairbanks you can use when your in town for groceries, before you return to the bush where you "live year-around."
You have a good day up there Phillip.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What are you babbling about ?
Have we even met ? you are obviously must be confusing me with someone else as you don't even know my name, or where I guide, or apparently anything else about me since I am the outfitter
I also don't appreciate being called a liar and if you can find one on my web site please point it out for all of us to see.
Otherwise go back to your bottle. crazy

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Phil-
I think BrnBear is referring to the first line on Atkinson's site regarding your operation:

Alaska--Hunt with one of the few Alaskan guides that lives year-round in the Alaskan "bush" with his family.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Yea, I know where you guide. I've been a pilot in Alaska for 45 years. I've flown over your "homestead" many times. I usually know when you put the boards on the windows and leave.
I don't think we've ever met. I don't remember saying anything about you personally or your qualifications as a guide. My problem with you, is you have an outright lie on your outfitter/agent/salesman's site. I notified you and Ray about the discrepancy several years ago by PM. You both said, not a big deal. I think it is a big deal.
Here's the quote...."One of the few guides who lives year-around in the Alaskan bush..." You know damn well you don't live year-around in the bush. That statement is used as a sales gimmick. You want the dudes to think "WOW, this old guy lives here with the bears year around. He must be good."
Remove the lie from your ad and I'll quietly disappear from your life.
I wonder if your ad could be considered "false advertisement"?
I also wonder if the Guide Board might have an interest in the ad? Would that ad be considered Unethical?
Think about it Phillip. (Did I spell everything correctly?)

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
BrnBear
Please let me in on your secret formula for preserving magic mushrooms this long! Usually by this time of winter they have lost their potency, but you obviously have figured out how to keep hallucinating all year long!
sincerely,
unstoned

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Brown Bear, who ever you are ? it seems like your problem is with a booking agent, not me.
You obviously don't understand that they are not agents or employees of the guide any more than they are agents or employees of the hunter. They are independent middle men who work only for themselves, some are honest and others not so, they can promise anything and then blame one side or the other.
My web site is here for anyone to read, including you.
You are right that we have not spent the entire year at our homesite in Becharof NWR for the past few years, but we do own 40 acres of land and spend over half of each year there . And since you seem hung up on the term "bush", we also have a state homestead near the booming urban metropolis of Circle Hot Springs, and another Federal homestead between Wein lake and Denali. Do they meet your " bush" standards?
We did however live there on the penissula year around for many years when our children were growing up.
And, If you had been flying there for "45 years" like you claim you would have known that !!!
Unless you were maybe flying in game unit 17. I live 100 miles to the south in unit 9E !
Next time you are flying by in the correct game unit stop in. I'll even let you check weather cameras on our Huges Net for your undisclosed destination.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
OK, I think I get it.
Your salesman can lie about you anytime he wants, but your not responsible for his words. Old Ray does get a cut if he sells one of your hunts, right?
You at one time lived year-around in the bush, but you now live on one of your vast holdings somewhere else in Alaska. That's pretty much what I've been saying. You don't live in the bush.
Actually I "claim", to have been flying in Alaska since 1966. Helicopters and fixed wings. I have in fact flown over your "homestead" several times. I don't make a point of looking down to see if old Phillip is home or in Fairbanks.
Next time I'm down there, when you aren't in Fairbanks, I'll stop in and try your HUGES NET for WX. That's a new net service in Alaska isn't it? Are you on HUGES Net now?
You fly also don't you Phillip? Experimental Cub type if I'm not mistaken.
SITKA...
Before you start accusing me of being a druggie, you might take the time to read the thread.
I accused Phillip of being a liar and he just admitted to it.
I don't live in Hooper Bay so I'm not to familiar with magic mushrooms. I'm not sure why you commented, or why you picked mushrooms to talk about? Are you familiar with them?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Let me get this straight - you don't make a point of looking down to see if I am home - yet you check to see if the windows are boarded up each year ?
Homesteads by Wein lake and Circle Hot springs are not "in the bush" ?
You are a professional pilot that can't tell certified aircraft from an experimental one ? - and you have flown in Alaska for 45 years and never noticed whether or not I was at home ? But know for a fact when I am not !

You can't tell game unit 17 from unit 9 even though they are 100 miles apart ?

Oh, and you are an expert on booking agents as well and if they tell a lie, who ever they were lying about is the one responsible ! and if I come clean as to where I live all will be forgiven ?

It is pretty obvious who is telling the truth here, and Sitka's observation is now starting to make a lot more sense.

And by the way, I have never paid Ray anything. Ask him- he is alot more honest and forthcoming than you are.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 458Win
Let me get this straight - you don't make a point of looking down to see if I am home - yet you check to see if the windows are boarded up each year ?
Homesteads by Wein lake and Circle Hot springs are not "in the bush" ?
You are a professional pilot that can't tell certified aircraft from an experimental one ? - and you have flown in Alaska for 45 years and never noticed whether or not I was at home ?

Oh, and you are an expert on booking agents as well and they tell a lie the guide is responsible, and if I come clean as to where I live all will be forgiven ?

Crazy, huh? smile

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yea, my son is up in Kotz flying polar bear surveys now but if he gets on he will kick my butt, as he has always told me that argueing on the internet is like running in the special olympics - because even if you win, you are still retarded.

I think I'll take my bronze medal and go home.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Dang! I hate to go off topic but this is a good one.
That's a good one Phillip! Running in the Special Olympics, means your retarded!
I can see the headlines now...."Gun writer calls Special Olympic runners retarded!" Wow, Phillip, pretty gutsy.
Quote..

"told me that argueing on the internet is like running in the special olympics - because even if you win, you are still retarded.

I think I'll take my bronze medal and go home."

PS...Argueing is correctly spelled, arguing. That's what my spell check told me.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (007FJ, 6mmCreedmoor, 35, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 12 invisible), 1,462 guests, and 867 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,311
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.