-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
To design a site that requires this? I mean really, that's the best they could come up with?! No wonder we import most everything we use from China and Bangledesh.

[Linked Image]

Just in a grumpy mood and venting.

LOL
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Never seen one crack there, some idiot left it on the roof and drove off with it up there. Had a gouge, took it home thinking "if I cut it square, I can fill it. "

Last edited by billy336; 04/04/13.

Long Live The Judge

Thinking of moving to Florida? Don't........
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That is sad, amigo. Do you want me to look for a good, clean buttstock or a beater model 99 with a good buttstock at the mega gun show in Spokane this weekend? Three day show, 650 tables, probably over 10,000 attendees. USusally lots of model 99's walking around or on the tables. If so, PM em with which style of buttstock you need and a cell phone number I can reach you at and which I can send photos of prospective stocks or guns to.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Back in the day that wasn't a big deal. The folks that were using those rifles were looking for results, not future collectable status. If you think that's bad try to mount a receiver sight or a side mount (which is the only mount that works) on a Savage 340. Even on the factory D&Ted rifles most of the time you still had to butcher the wood. Do you consider the car you drive today collectable? Some day someone will and will curse you for any modification you made.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I don't know George, I've had lots of compliments on my car.

http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2011/06/22/chickencarlolcars_620x414.jpg

LOL
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I don't know George, I've had lots of COMMENTS on my car.

http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2011/06/22/chickencarlolcars_620x414.jpg

There, fixed it for ya..... grin

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
True, hacked up butt stocks are almost impossible to replace or too pricey to repair.
Rifle's that were drilled and tapped from the factory (on top), but someone preferred drilling and tapping for a Side Mount, get's me more.

"Don't act like you're not impressed!" (Ron Burgandy)
NRA 4-Life
Americans 4 American Workers .com " I Buy American "
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Hate to say it but the Lyman 56 requires such a notch being carved out of the stock. If you compare a 56 with a 57, you see that Lyman milled an extra radius in in the back of sight block to clear the pads on the 99 stock. I bought a new in the box 56 years ago thinking it would go nice on my pre-war 99R until I found this out.

PS - Dig the crazy car!

Last edited by S99VG; 04/04/13.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've had several Lyman 56 sights on 99s and never had to alter the stock to mount them.
[Linked Image]

Rod

Hunting FOR Savages, Hunting WITH Savages
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Maybe I got a factory second, I don't know. But mine certainly won't do it. I didn't mount it because tightening it down would have pressed a divit into the stock. Then again, my 99R was made in 1933. Maybe later stocks have a slightly lower profile.

Last edited by S99VG; 04/05/13.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
It has only been recently that cutting a gun stock to accept a sight or scope base became a no-no. Heck, I would still do it, depending.

Around 25 years ago when Winchester dumped a tiny number of M70 Fwt 6.5x55's onto the U.S. market, I was fortunate to grab one. What was the first thing I did? I cut a huge (but neat) notch in the side of the stock to allow a Lyman 48 sight to be screwed in place using the factory holes placed there for that purpose. I figured while I was at it I might as well replace the factory plastic-like stock finish with a nice warm oil finish, and re-cut the checkering to repair some mistakes made at the factory. I'll bet some day a Winchester collector will cry in his beer when he sees that gun. Would I do it again? Yep. (But in a perfect world the smart thing to do would have been to fit a new stock and save the factory job for posterity, but who among us can afford to do that with everything they own?)

It's because so many rifles were bodgered up that the factory original ones that remain are now collectible.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

Rifle's that were drilled and tapped from the factory (on top), but someone preferred drilling and tapping for a Side Mount, get's me more. [/quote]

My 250 R was D/T from the factory, and some knucklehead still D/T'ed it for a side mount!!!, Joe.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Oh, I don't know about that. I d/t'ed another M70 (pre-64) once upon a time for a Griffin&Howe QD sidemount. If I wanted to put a period Noske or G&H mount on say a M54 or a M1920 Savage, I would, if I were a died-in-the-wool scope freak (which I'm not, thank goodness). I made ready to d/t a 99 for a G&H side mount once, but the gunsmith talked me out of it saying he didn't think the receiver walls were thick enough (and I tend to agree with him). That was back when I still was a little disdainful of Savage lever guns and looked upon that one as a hunting tool pure and simple.

If I were king, no rifles would be factory d/t'ed for any scope mount, leaving it up to the end-user to decide if and where he wants holes drilled. A classy side mount such as the G&H allows the scope to be an adjunct to the sights, not the dominant partner.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 04/05/13.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This beautiful special order 1899A T/D and pistol gripped perch bellied ol' girl met the same fate. I do suspect the side drill came first and then the 4 top holes. It all depends how bad you want the rifle what you are willing to tolerate. You can argue about side holes for the Weaver T-7 being factory. Who REALLY knows. But the top holes well, that's another story.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a Model 54 Winchester with a huge chunk cut out to fit a Lyman peep. I think it was pretty standard practice back in the day.

C
ctw Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
They made a tang sight for a muzzleloader that probably is the culprit. The two look very similar and the wood is the easiest to alter.

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Remember back in those days all the stocks were hand fitted and not necessarily perfect clones of one another. An aperture sight that fit one 99 stock might not fit another.

I've seen several 99 stocks made to fit an aperture sight. I'm sure they wouldn't have resorted to the saw and file if they wouldn't have had too.

Last edited by 99guy; 04/05/13.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 99guy
Remember back in those days all the stocks were hand fitted and not necessarily perfect clones of one another. An aperture sight that fit one 99 stock might not fit another.

I've seen several 99 stocks made to fit an aperture sight. I'm sure they wouldn't have resorted to the saw and file if they wouldn't have had too.

...wouldn't have had to if the sights had been engineered right to begin with. I'm not buying the theory that stocks varied that much so some had to be cut 1/8" deep.

LOL
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Hey Fireball, No disrespect intended, but yes, the 99 stocks can vary greatly in that area. In fact, all but one that I have had in my hands have the factory wood considerably proud of the metal at the top tang. All were pre-mil guns. One I saw was a "K". The reason I notice this is my desire to add a receiver sight to a 99, but never could figure out how to do it without carving out factory wood....which I would not do. My solution has been to use Marble's or Lyman tang sights. The bases can be carefully "sprung" to rise slightly above the stock wood at the back of the tang.
I am surprised that the sight makers did not relieve that area under the receiver sight bases to allow for "proud" wood. I am guessing if you wanted to ruin a sight for collectors but solve the issue, you could machine away the metal underneath the base where it conflicts with the wood.
My solution to the dilemma in your photo is to clean it up as best as possible, and put a receiver sight on there! Best wishes to all, and happy Saturday. Marc

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (219 Wasp, 22250rem, 1badf350, 204guy, 219DW, 12344mag, 40 invisible), 2,150 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,230
Posts18,504,336
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.