Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Lslite Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Looking at one in stainless and would appreciate opinions on reliability.

" It ain't dead.As long as there's one cowboy taking care of one cow,it ain't dead ! "
Monte Walsh
GB1

STA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Walther PPK 380acp is a very nice, reliable, and accurate pistol. The down fall IMO is slide bite....

Last edited by STA; 04/07/13. Reason: my name is bond james bond

randy..
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The newer PPKs I've seen (for several years now) have an extended beaver-tail - which should alleviate the 'slide bite'.

Also (some years ago) the PPKs had somewhat of a reputation as being 'Jammo-matics'. That also may NOT be an accurate claim in more recent years.

The Walther PPK is a true 'classic' and I've always wanted one.

There are what many knowledgeable gun enthusiasts would consider better CCW pistol choices - as regards caliber, size, weight, etc. But if I had a Walther PPK - I'd carry it. (Even though it is a 'blow-back' operated pistol.)

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
For the size the newer 9mms do much better....

If you have never shot a Walther PP/PPKs the first shot DA is very hard. I have had two PPK/S, Two PPs and one PPK in .22, .32 and .380. All were German made guns except for one of the PPK/Ss that was an early stainless...and it was let us say, not quite as reliable as the German made guns.

Cartridge wise, most JHP loads run a 90 grain bullet in the 850-1000 fps range. CorBon and a few others will break 1100 fps.... 9mm 115s from the small equal size guns will run 100-300 fps faster...

You may also find that the recoil of a blow-back action .380 is more unpleasant than a locked-breech 9mm...

If you can, try several guns in that size range before you buy...Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
The S&W ones are still jamomatics.

IC B2

DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Had Pre-68 PPK's. Never experienced a jam. They shot great and were amoung the finest made pistols I've ever seen. Only problem is that after having Walthers, I never wanted a reproduction.

DMc

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
heavy and mine only ran on FMJ's. It was cool in the day of James Bond,but in today's world there are better choices....

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have one of the Smith & Wesson Walther PPks. It seems Smith fixed all the things wrong with them. They added an exteneded bevertail to stop the hammer bite and the double action trigger is alot lighter and smoother than the Walthers I have felt.

Mine is very accurate and I love carrying it. They are a little heavy compared to most over pocket 380 but I dont pocket carry mine. Thats what my Diamondback is for.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Lslite
People buy them for cool factor, because they think it makes them James Bond. Development in compact handguns has left them far behind, however. There are just way too many better guns, in more potent calibers, in about the same size range, and even lighter. It's strictly a nostalgia gun, IMO.

STA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In double action Kahr CW380 in 380acp or Kahr CM9 in 9mm. In single action Sig P238 in 380acp or Sig P938 in 9mm. IMO are some good choices....

randy..
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mine is a S&W PPK/S that I bought used. There was a recall on the safety which S&W took care of at no charge.

Other than that, no issues at all and I carry it on a regular basis. If going someplace where I think odds are higher I might need a weapon (something I try hard to avoid), I am more likely to choose my hi-cap 9mm or single-stack .45.

The PPK/S and sleeve holster fit in the front pocket of my jeans easily.

Jam-O-Matic? Not mine, or it would go down the road.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I won't bet my life on a .380

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Even the older guns had to be evaluated individually as there was so much variance from one to the next in terms of reliability.

I used one a bit, and saw a few used in the 1970s. Most shooters do better with something else, IMO.

the hammer bite thing has never affected me even given my larger than average mitts.

double action first shots were a bad idea with the gun I carried. Although I never practiced it, the term shot-cocking made instant sense the first time I heard it due to my experience with the PPK.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Great gun to carry in a cummerbund...

Hits like a brick through a plate glass window...

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Richdeerhunter

I believe that was the .32 ACP version, Q.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I was issued one for a narcotics assignment and it was lousy. The trigger was heavy and rough and it jammed often enough I had zero confidence in it. Maybe newer versions are better, but with today's subcompact mini 9mm's I don't see any utility for the Walther .380.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
Originally Posted by Richdeerhunter

I believe that was the .32 ACP version, Q.

You will enjoy this link to James Bond's guns
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_James_Bond_firearms

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I won't bet my life on a .380

after going on the 'fire hog hunt and watching guys hunt pigs with everything from 9mm to 45ACP when i hear a bump in the night im grabbing a rifle and not a handgun.....the bigger rounds are far from a guarantee to stop a fight aswell....remember reading somewhere that the purpose of a handgun is to get you to a rifle or shotgun and that i believe....that said any handgun is better than no gun at all.....

Last edited by rattler; 04/08/13.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I was issued an Interarms Walther PPk/s back in 1995. I have no knowledge of the model as manufactured under the Smith and Wesson banner, but the one I had and 90 percent of the others I saw issued to department personnel in those days were garbage. I saw three or four go full auto over the years we carried them. I saw slides come off during firing and I saw Johnson and Johnson Band-Aid stock go through the roof from the cuts on shooter hands from trying to operate the little hateful buggers.

Fundamentally, one of my main concerns after a lack of functional reliability, was the fact that you have to field strip the pistol in order to clear a jam. To me, that was just not acceptable.

At the risk of finding myself afoul of agency policy, I purchased a Smith & Wesson model 649 and a Galco ankle holster for same. Fortunately, we were only saddled with those little pieces of junk for about 5 years.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Lslite

It was THE small carry gun...forty years ago. Get a Khar P9. Times and technology have changed

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

629 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12savage, 65 invisible), 2,206 guests, and 1,337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,915
Posts18,479,632
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.