Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
10-Roger Rattler, surely just a mild communications mistake. wink

Gunner

Trump Won!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ken, I don't think there was any problem at all. Somewhere it was voiced that it was thought we had the run of the place, but it was a non-issue, just a "wondering" re: bunks is all and apparently was resolved easily, nobody slept outside. Well, Gunner, Sharps, ET, and maybe Rattler slept in the living room but chainsaws and gangsaws tend to sleep better together anyway. grin There's been friendly interest in other venues for social hunt get-togethers, not due to any problem at Wilderness but just curiosity of new things, different hunts, and possibilities. Think to a man all have had a great time out there and it's a nice setup with friendly people.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had a blast. I enjoyed the company of everyone 'cept Bob. Didn't know he was gay.

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think my biggest gripe was the Rebecca Creek disappeared early the first night, and I got about one sip of it. Guess I gotta bring a couple bottles next year...

The other fellows there I chatted with, and they were good people, so no gripes with them. I brought plenty of ear plugs, too smile

It was a fine, enjoyable trip, and I got to meet some remarkable characters, the same as last year smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A pard passed through TX last week and snagged 2 bottles of the nectar for me. Good stuff.

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Update on the Campfire brisket a la dvdegeorge:

I did a brisket over the weekend and this time (I won't promise I'll always do that) I followed your directions.

Flat end (nose-off) of the brisket. Oven at 225 degrees. Rubbed and roasted dry over a drip pan to 160 degrees internal, and then foiled with some broth until 195.

Much better, though I have to say, not as good as yours. More practise is indicated.

Question, though. I have never roasted beef to that high of an internal temperature before. It was tender, just like you promised it would be, but a little on the dry side, especially toward the outside. Could be the cut I got from the butcher, but I'm wondering if I might retain a little more moisture if I stopped at 180-185?

- Tom

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
It will be tuff at that temp(180-185).Flats are hard to get right because of the cut(they are thin with not so much fat) and every piece is different,2 cooked at the same temp and same time maybe different. Also did you let it rest before you served it?
As far as the taste of mine be different,don't forget I had it smoking over wood for the 1st couple hours
Brisket is the hardest thing to master

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge

Well, I like a challenge.

I can see myself asking my butcher to bring out all the briskets he's got and then poking through them like Kamo Gari at the Tokyo fish market.

I did let it rest. I'm having it again for dinner in just a few minutes. Like I say, it's good and it's tender. But I can do better!

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I hear ya the one at hog camp wasn't my best either...I think we can be our own worst critic!

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by tjm10025
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge

Well, I like a challenge.

I can see myself asking my butcher to bring out all the briskets he's got and then poking through them like Kamo Gari at the Tokyo fish market.

I did let it rest. I'm having it again for dinner in just a few minutes. Like I say, it's good and it's tender. But I can do better!

Musta been the reason my last brisket was like trying to eat a meat flavored catchers mitt. blush

Gunner

Trump Won!
IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I've had women that were the same

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Holy Flappin' Meat Curtains Batman. eek shocked grin

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
ROFL

Life is only as good as the memories we make
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
That just made my coffee not taste so good....

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
just got back home . an have been reading . so if everyone is happy . so am I. am I will try to make a better hunt for everyone next year. if everyone goes to wilderness.ken

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
definitely, as i said in pm, though it aint my normal hunting i did have a blast and will be at the head of the line next year regardless of where its held.....all the important stuff was well done, ive paid more for far, far worse stays in hotels.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
i think with a little work we can make it in to a good hunt . tell me with you people would like. an we can go from there. . ken

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ken, the area i do my hunting in every fall is 1000 square miles that i have nearly the complete run of other than maybe 20 square miles of no shooting areas....no way in hell im ever gonna take the place seriously as far as the hunting goes BUT i have no problem making the best out of it and having a load of fun like i did this year.....i wont hesitate a moment if the organizers say we are going back and shooting another hog or other critter....

it is what it is as far as hunting but it was alot of fun and thats what matters....

Last edited by rattler; 04/09/13.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
hoghunter4

I don't think you are in the position to make or influence the hunts we have at the Campfire for the better. But you sure as hell can mess them up, as you did this year.

You neither represent Wilderness, nor the Campfire. You can't make things better, but you can sure make them worse, as you have already demonstrated.

You would make a great contribution to the Fire if you never logged another post.

PM me if you have any questions.

Steve

P
P
There is nothing more contrary to nature than the attempt to hold in obedience distant provinces.
D3 Gold
RS Gold

Page 166 of 169 1 2 164 165 166 167 168 169

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

83 members (257robertsimp, 10gaugemag, BamaCKC, 300_savage, AussieGunWriter, 10 invisible), 1,210 guests, and 740 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,233
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.