Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Think about the moral dimension.

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Still don�t see where you�re going with this. Is it morally different to deprive two people of the same right because one claims it for himself while the other had it bestowed upon him?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Where do YOUR rights come from? Mine come from our Creator.

The title of your post seems to direct the question at gun rights.
I'm not an athiest, but gun rights are constitutional rights, 2nd amendment.

The issue of rights has been tossed around carelessly in the media the past few years, i.e, 'right to healthcare', 'right to affordable home ownership', I saw one about a 'right to water'.
That's all a crock.
You can see exactly what your rights are in the Bill of Rights, aka, Constitution.

If you are talking about the scope of some higher authority - basic human rights, spiritual rights, etc. then the issue becomes more complicated and more difficult to define something as specific as gun rights.

Last edited by Alamosa; 04/09/13.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
So if someone breaks into Shreck's house, ties him up, and steals his property then his rights were not violated since he had no rights, as evidenced by his inability to defend the rights that he had previously claimed.

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by Alamosa

You can see exactly what your rights are in the Bill of Rights, aka, Constitution.

That implies that the Government is the source of rights. government grants privelige, not rights.

The Bill of Rights only enumerates, or counts rights. It specified rights that are/were inalienable, and were out of reach of gov't restriction.

Here's a bettter way of saying it...

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Sure if a burglar does it his rights were violated. If the government does it, his rights weren�t violated.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well most atheists are progressive fascists. They don't believe that man has any rights. They believe that the state knows best if it is run by Obama and his followers.

[Linked Image from ]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kletzenklueffer

That implies that the Government is the source of rights. government grants privelige, not rights.

The Bill of Rights only enumerates, or counts rights. It specified rights that are/were inalienable, and were out of reach of gov't restriction.

Here's a bettter way of saying it...

Please don't quote it out of context. Your point was already addressed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pete E

Very dogy ground considering more and more people today don't believe in God or believe in a different God..

And if God gave you inalienable rights, how come they are being eroded, denied or reneged today?

Because we also have free will and are born into a sinful nature...

In other words, people suck! grin

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shreck
Mine come from the fact that I am a human and claim them. Nothing gave them to me.

A claim is not a right.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by billhilly
Sure if a burglar does it his rights were violated.

But he had no rights because he could not defend the rights he had claimed. By that standard, no wrong was committed.

d.v.

Musings on TDS
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The issue of rights has been tossed around carelessly in the media the past few years, i.e, 'right to healthcare', 'right to affordable home ownership', I saw one about a 'right to water'.
That's all a crock.

If you are talking about the scope of some higher authority - basic human rights, spiritual rights, etc. then the issue becomes more complicated and more difficult to define something as specific as gun rights.

We don't have gun rights, per se. We have a right to life. Having a right to life means you have the right to protect that life. Being armed is the way by which we can effectively protect that right to life, therefore the right to be armed is inherent from the right to life.

The second amendment protects the right to life by protecting the right to be armed.

The above is also true when you place it under the auspice of the right to Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness. Each of these individually and collectively are where we get the 2nd Amendment from.

The question the OP posits is who establishes the Laws of Nature from which we garner these rights?

Does man, being man, have the authority to do so?

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by achadwick
Originally Posted by shreck
Mine come from the fact that I am a human and claim them. Nothing gave them to me.

Intriguing point, shreck. If your rights are based only on your claim to them, then they are secure only to the extent that you are able to defend them, right?

Not being able to defend a right does not eliminate the existence of that right.

Turdlike, by default.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

No athiest here but, my rights come from my nutsack.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Mine came from a Constitution that was written by those who believed only God could grant unalienable rights. I believe some rights are unalienable, but whether God grants those rights or whether they be human rights, I'm glad we have them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
�God given rights� don�t mean squat if the �men� of your nation fail to recognize and observe them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I disagree Kevin.

The fact that they are God given is why they mean squat. The fact that rights are from God is why men do not have the ability to abolish them. It's because of God given rights that when men attempt to trample on them, we can justly defend those rights from tyrannical men.

If rights are not from God, then they do not exist as then they would only be that which is permitted by other men. They wouldn't be rights at all but mere permissions.

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

That's all a crock.

"We hold these truths to be "SELF EVIDENT"............ are "ENDOWED BY THEIR CREATOR with certain inalienable rights....".

Our founding documents recognize the existence of certain rights that are not subject to revocation by government.The only authority higher than that of a Sovereign Nation necessarily is a Creator, and the Founders recognized that.

So, Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness,along with the means to defend those rights, come from a Creator God.

An Atheist saying;"... from my cold, dead, hand", just rings hollow to me.

grin

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

That's all a crock.

"We hold these truths to be "SELF EVIDENT"............ are "ENDOWED BY THEIR CREATOR with certain inalienable rights....".

Our founding documents recognize the existence of certain rights that are not subject to revocation by government.The only authority higher than that of a Sovereign Nation necessarily is a Creator, and the Founders recognized that.

So, Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness,along with the means to defend those rights, come from a Creator God.

An Atheist saying;"... from my cold, dead, hand", just rings hollow to me.

grin

Which in theory is great, except in a practical sense, your rights are being restricted, denied revoked or otherwise constantly under attack.

In a practical sense you only have the rights that are granted by the society around you and/or the rights you are willing to fight for..

You guys are in a better legal position than us Brits because of your Constitution, but we both know that unless you fight for it people like Obama and his supporters would take away many of the rights it protects..

Last edited by Pete E; 04/09/13.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Founders recognized the existence of Natural Law. It's from that concept that the existence of rights is derived.

Without Natural Law there are no rights.

Turdlike, by default.
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (1minute, 1234, 222Sako, 007FJ, 160user, 1936M71, 60 invisible), 2,081 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,778
Posts18,495,871
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.