Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
JWP58 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Just applied for my first elk tag. Once May hits its time to start scouting. Although I'll be splitting Elk hunting with Grouse hunting.

I need to buy a bow too lol. I'll be happy just to see an elk(s) this year.

At what elevation are elk usually at during the summer months? 8k?

GB1

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
JW, we don't apply for elk til May..?????

Molon Labe
J
JWP58 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Paper is apps start in may. You can apply online from jan-may. They have the same result day...

http://wgfd.wyo.gov/web2011/hunting-1001118.aspx

Last edited by JWP58; 04/08/13.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JWP58
Just applied for my first elk tag. Once May hits its time to start scouting. Although I'll be splitting Elk hunting with Grouse hunting.

Splitting elk hunting time with ... grouse???

I like grouse and have taken them with a handgun as targets of opportunity while elk hunting, but ... splitting time???

You must REALLY like those birds!!!

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
J
JWP58 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Well I like spending time afield with my dogs, and Sept is blue and sage grouse season. Then Oct. is partridge..

Elk hunting will get squeezed in there at some point. I hope to do plenty of scouting so hoepfully that helps.

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
At what elevation are elk usually at during the summer months? 8k?

Down here they can be all over, including up above timberline (11,000+) if that's where the grass is best.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

J
JWP58 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Im contemplating hunting only the rifle season and not bow. Mainly because I dont have a bow, and dont know if I feel comfortable only having a few months to practice.

If I use a rifle Im leaning toward going old school. Lever action. Maybe a 30wcf or 32wcf. Keep my shots close and practice practice practice. (i might consider a 45/70)

I also plan to do a backpack hunt. In an attempt to get off the beaten path as I plan to hunt N.F.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Ever consider a muzzleloader? If you're going old school, may as well go whole hog.

J
JWP58 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
No but I have considered using a cast/blackpowder load.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I don't know about Wyoming's seasons, but if you have an early ML season that's something to consider if you're backpacking. Early seasons=warmer weather so you can get by with carrying less gear and be more comfortable in a backpack camp.

IC B3

J
JWP58 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
There is no ML season in WY. Only archery and rifle.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
When you consider a backpack hunt, you must also pack out the elk..if it spoils, you could be fined for waste of game..lots to consider..

Molon Labe
J
JWP58 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Oh for sure. I wont be going alone either. I'll have a buddy (aka pack mule) with me.

And of course there are other factors to consider. Like the terrain the elk will probably either fall down dead in, or where it will most likely run towards to die. If its too nasty/steep, dont take the shot. Also time of day, temp, weather, ect.

In all honesty I know the chances of me harvesting an Elk is slim to none. But that was the same realization I had last yr in my first season upland hunting, and I still had a blast (and was pretty successful in my opinion).

I plan to keep this post updated with pics and info on scouting (nothing too revealing though lol) through the summer and fall.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
In all honesty I know the chances of me harvesting an Elk is slim to none. But that was the same realization I had last yr in my first season upland hunting, and I still had a blast (and was pretty successful in my opinion).

Well, if you get in away from the roads you're definitely tilting the odds in your favor. Backpacking is a good way to do that. During rifle seasons meat spoilage is rarely an issue. During archery it can be but if you're fit enough to pack your stuff in, you'll have no problems packing meat out. Just keep a big cooler(s) with ice at the truck so you can get the meat on ice and go right back in.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well I like spending time afield with my dogs, and Sept is blue and sage grouse season. Then Oct. is partridge..

Elk hunting will get squeezed in there at some point. I hope to do plenty of scouting so hopefully that helps.

At last a man with a correct mindset. cool cool

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Not quite, he left trout fishing completely out of the picture.

J
JWP58 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by luv2safari

Elk hunting will get squeezed in there at some point. I hope to do plenty of scouting so hopefully that helps.

At last a man with a correct mindset. cool cool

Hey a guy's got to have his priorities in line....nothing like a dog on point.

I've sold myself on rifle hunting in Oct. Im fairly certain my Texas whitetail gun (remington 600 .243) isnt up to the task of taking a bull elk, or atleast I dont want to be under gunned.

As far as cost goes, the Ruger American in 30-06 seems hard to beat.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smokepole
Not quite, he left trout fishing completely out of the picture.

My dogs have an opinion about trout fishing. They are resigned to an off season, but just barely. smirk

[Linked Image]

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
My dog has an opinion on trout fishing too, but that doesn't mean I listen to him.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
grin

Maybe I need to train them to use a landing net and include them a bit. laugh

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 62 invisible), 2,352 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,394
Posts18,488,821
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.