Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Gentlemen,
I will be in Frankfurt soon. Is it possible for an American to buy ammunition in Germany? If so, what is required? What do I need to do to bring that ammunition back to the U.S.? I collect 22 boxes and saw online that the gun shops there has some interesting boxes that I would like to acquire, TIA.

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I think the easiest way would be to acquire a german hunting license for foreigners.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Iwas in the military and bought ammunition no problem in Germany. Not sure about a none military

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by blairvt
Iwas in the military and bought ammunition no problem in Germany. Not sure about a none military

Did you buy it on base? If you bought it off base did you have to provide a hunting license? Thanks.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pretty sure I had to show my hunting license when buying ammo.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Now If the Germans were smart and wanted to stick it to the man, they would tell the American People if you take your vacation here , we will allow you buy all the ammo you want to carry and there will be no restrictions if you travel on Lufthansa!! I don't think they would do that, its a nice thought thou.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Well, I'll let you folks know what the gun counter will tell me. Anyone need anything that I can bring to you legally from the U.S.?

S
S
The German Weapons Law requires a German weapons card or hunting license as best I recall; a hunter would normally carry both. I forget what a target shooters authorization document is called and there is a separate authorization document governed by another government agency for reloading (powder).

US Forces have to comply with the German law since the 1990s unification of Germany, updating US-FRG treaties, and shooting sport/hunting agreements with the individual German states. A target shooter can only buy for the gun authorized by his sport association and purchased pursuant to that so he probably has to show his "weapons card". Hunters also have a weapons card but can use their hunting license to pretty much buy any type ammunition as they can legally borrow a weapon to hunt. Only a hunter has "freedom" pick his guns, i.e. he can own pistols as well as rifles and shotguns without saying what he plans to hunt. I shot with the Stuttgart Hunters Assoc (DJV) 2008-2011 and only took a .22 once because I never saw a hunter bring one to sight in or shoot targets--they shoot specified game targets from specified positions for hunters' competitions.

There are plenty of ranges in Germany but they keep a low profile and are geared either to sport shooters or hunters. By the same token, many a shooting club/house(schutzenhaus) today is just a restaurant with the clubs old targets on the wall.

I would call a German consulate in the states before travel if truly interested.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thank you Slope, sounds very complicated and looks like it's not going to be feasible for me.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 204guy, 222ND, 1lessdog, 160user, 58 invisible), 2,516 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,794
Posts18,516,111
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.