W
Cope wintergreen...

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
im barely alive, cause my resting heart rate is so low. when i'm amp'ed up it's super low as well.

it takes me a bit to get amp'ed up

FJB
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
but mac ur a true bad ass

FJB
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Freshen up that dryed out plug with Ol' Grandad.......100 proof......

Confucius say: He who angers you.......controls you.

My Lifestance is one of Secular Humanism.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cheap stuff here. Timber wolf wintergreen fine cut. I quit for a year. I would rather die tonight than relive that year. I think my wife would rather not relive it either.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dipped for many years and try to stay off it but Skoal has always been my dip of choice. I fall off the wagon occasionally.

A government, to afford the needful protection and exercise proper care for the welfare of a people, must have homogeneity in its constituents.

-Jefferson Davis
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was a cope man but finally kicked it

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by WyoCowboy
I was a cope man but finally kicked it

STRONGER MAN THAN ME. damn the caps

FJB
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Long cut cope for many years

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Obituary
Anti-spit tobacco crusader Bill Tuttle
JANE IMHOLTE
+ Author Affiliations

Association for Nonsmokers-Minnesota
2395 University Avenue West, Suite 310
St Paul, Minnesota 55114, USA;
jimholteusinternet.com
Former major-league baseball player and anti-spit tobacco champion Bill Tuttle died on 27 July 1998 in Anoka, Minnesota, after a long battle with oral cancer. He was 69. He is survived by wife Gloria; their three daughters Debra Heyers, Kimberly Oliver, and Cindy Chase; four children from a previous marriage�Patricia Bradley and Becky Porter, Robert, and James; and 17 grandchildren.

Tuttle was an outfielder, and is still remembered for his theatrical catches while playing 11 seasons with the Detroit Tigers, Kansas City Athletics, and the Minnesota Twins. His legacy, however, will extend far beyond the ballpark. Until his last days, Tuttle, along with his wife Gloria, was an outspoken critic of his nemesis: spit tobacco. He was a living example of the consequences of tobacco addiction, and he worked hard to exploit that example to the fullest.

Tuttle was born on 4 July 1929, in Farmington, Illinois. He played for Bradley University before being scouted by the Detroit Tigers. He bounced around in the minor leagues for four years before making it to �the bigs�. It wasn�t until Tuttle started in the major league that he began chewing tobacco. After an injury put Tuttle on the bench for longer than usual, a teammate offered Bill a chew, �just to pass the time�. Several of Tuttle�s baseball cards bear the image of a young, handsome player, a cheek bulging with spit tobacco (figure1).

View larger version: In a new window Download as PowerPoint Slide
Figure 1
One of several baseball cards that showed Bill Tuttle with a cheek full of spit tobacco.

Thirty-eight years later Bill had a bulge in his cheek that wouldn�t go away. Doctors diagnosed it as a large buccal cancer. The tumour was so large that it came through his cheek and extended through the skin. Doctors scheduled Bill for immediate surgery on 11 November 1993. The procedure was to take two and a half hours; it lasted for more than 13. After more than five operations spanning more than 50 hours, Bill had lost much of his face, including his jaw, teeth, and right cheek. To make up for lost facial tissue doctors took patches of skin and muscle from other areas and tried to recreate his face (figure 2). �He still looked like a dried-up apple,� said Gloria. Throughout the five operations and 51 treatments of radiation therapy, the Tuttles had no medical insurance. Bill had played ball in a different era, one without astronomical contracts and endorsements.

View larger version: In a new window Download as PowerPoint Slide
Figure 2
Bill Tuttle, after surgery for mouth cancer caused by chewing tobacco. Photo by Sara Sevans, reprinted with permission of the �St Paul (Minnesota) Pioneer Press�.

Joe Garagiola, former major league catcher and broadcast announcer, is the head of the Baseball Assistance Team, which helps former players like Bill. Garagiola called the Tuttles on Christmas Eve 1993 and told them his organisation would cover all medical expenses. In return, he asked for a favour.

Garagiola is also the chair of the National Spit Tobacco Education Program, which aims to raise awareness about this lethal product. �Everyone talks about smoking, smoking, smoking�, said Garagiola. �I say: tobacco is tobacco is tobacco.� One of Garagiola�s target audiences is major league baseball, where almost 40% of the players use spit tobacco. He asked Bill and Gloria for help. Though Bill was not far from the end of his life, a new era emerged for him and Gloria.

The Tuttles went on a whirlwind tour of major league clubhouses during 1994 spring training. Garagiola remembers the initial visits with some clubs. �We weren�t exactly given the red carpet in the early days�, recalls Garagiola. Some players would continue to spit and chew in defiance as Garagiola spoke. But when he introduced Bill, the attitude changed. People have said repeatedly that Bill�s physical presence was his story. His face alone was enough for some of the players to stop chewing and spitting while he talked. As he continued with his story, Garagiola remembers seeing players looking for a way to take out their chew.

Bill�s message was simple: if you chew, you may end up looking like me. He urged players to remember that they are role models to young people. He pleaded with them to keep chew out of camera range. Gloria then spoke of the immense toll Bill�s illness had taken on the family, the late nights, the hours waiting during surgery and the uncertain future.

Gloria also sent a letter to all the baseball wives elaborating on her story. �I am watching the man I love die,� she wrote. �It is the most difficult thing I have ever done in my entire life.  . . . Bill Tuttle today is not the rifle-armed Bill Tuttle who patrolled center field for ten seasons.  . . . Today, Bill can�t even raise his right arm straight up.  . . . Have you ever tried cooking for a fussy eater? Well, try cooking for a man who can�t taste and has no teeth. Try eating out with a man who drools or drops his food because he can�t open his mouth far enough for the fork to fit in.  . . . It is horrible to see this once strong, virile man reduced to this condition.�

Even in a weakened state, Bill was a tireless crusader against spit tobacco. He spoke to major and minor league teams, and to students of all ages. He lobbied his state legislators to vote against tobacco-friendly bills. He spoke to anyone who would listen. Immense guilt and a sense of responsibility drove him. Bill never dreamed what he would put his family through with his illness. Bill was particularly haunted by the thought that his role-modelling of spit tobacco could have prompted young people to start using it. Until the very end, Bill sought to undo the harm he felt he had caused, unable to accept that his suffering and perseverance were penance enough. Eventually, Bill lost most of his voice. He communicated with pen and paper. Two days before he died, he wrote Gloria a note: �I know what I did was wrong and I�m so sorry I hurt everybody. But maybe I can show them how sorry I am by teaching other people.�

Keep your gun-hand ready and your eyes peeled.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Skoal Classic by the bucket full it seems sometimes.

If it wasn't for the Indians selling it so cheap.........

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
Use to dip wintergreen skoal but that got way toooo expinsive, ive been dipping Wintergreen Stokers for about a year, its a 3rd the price of skoal, taste better, and is stronger. Yall should try it

Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I started with Levi plugs. Then went to Redman. Ended up with Skoal straight. Basically cuz that's what my friends chewed.

I quit 2 years ago. Seems maybe too late. In the next few days I'll find out if I have cancer.

Gentlemen, this is no sob story. Just a plea. Quit. Now.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Levi Garret. Started on Beechnut, then Red Man. That [bleep] is too sweet when I have it now. Red Man Golden Blend was ok if you can find it, still not as good as Levi. They still make or sell it where you all are?

Sean
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
longhorn long cut wintergreen

You can shear a sheep many times.But you can only skin him once!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Chewed pretty much everything for about 6 years but kinda lost my taste for it all when I got away from my normal crowd of dippers. I would say my all time favorite was skoal wintergreen but cope wintergreen or skoal mint were close seconds

The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockchucker
Kodiak is a man's dip.

Copenhagen is #2 on man scale

But only (mostly) women can handle Blackbull. wink

But as others have inferred, it all simply an enjoyable method of suicide. My wife chews a rifle-worth every year.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Copenhagen was my dip of choice for 24 years,but I was able to quit without being irritable in twelve days with the Nicoderm patch.That was twenty years ago.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cope long cut was my standby for 19 years with the occasional cam of Kodiak for variety.

Currently on day 24 of no dip and finally at the point that the bad cravings are gone but there are still about 5000 times an hour I think about taking a dip.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Worked in a big private show stable, we weren't supposed to smoke in the barn, especially when traveling to some of the fair grounds where the barns were tinder boxes, so a few of us used snuff and chaw. I settled on Bull of the Woods plug, damn that stuff was like chewing on a fossilized block of mince meat pie. It must have had a quart of molasses in a plug, when you spit the juice was as black as liquid Shinola, enough to make women cringe and fairies hurl their lunch. I swear that stuff would rust stainless steel dental crowns. You didn't have to worry about intestinal parasites while chewing it, there was enough nicotine to kill tape worms, stunt the growth of a Clydesdale, and peel the paint off the driver's side of a pickup. I gave it up before too long, just too messy and repainting the truck would have been expensive.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (219 Wasp, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 60 invisible), 13,599 guests, and 1,076 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,162
Posts18,542,906
Members74,058
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.