-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
since you're not a gun guy you could think of it as an investment. for the sake of arguement let's say it's worth $800. the rifle will appreciate in value. now think of taking the same $800 if you sold it and putting it in a savings acount at .005% which is what alot of banks are paying right now. the $800 earns a whopping $4. the rifle will climb in value faster than that.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
spoken like a TRUE gentleman, two thumbs up

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
But, there are waaaay better ways to invest $800 than by putting it in a savings account, even in this miserable economy.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There you go. You could go to Nevada and open a whorehouse. Oh, excuse me. I guess I was thinking of Harry Reid.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Skid, I don't think you could open a cat house for $800, but you could have a helluva good time in one for that amount!

(Reminds me of the Slim Pickens line in "Dr. Strangelove" when he opened the survival kit in the cockpit of the B-52 exposing a .45, money, and prophylactics, and said something to the effect that the stuff would sure make for a fun weekend in Vegas.)

Last edited by gnoahhh; 04/12/13.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B2

P
OP Offline
P
Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions and indicated they would be interested in purchasing it.
I am not a gun nut as some have indicated, but I am a collector nut and love mechanical things. I would truly love to have a collection of guns and the knowledge of them that many of you have but I have lots of other irons in the fire.

I have taken the advice of several and decided to keep the gun. I do not need the money thankfully and I am going to try to get the original rear sight from Lightfoot to put it back in original condition and then buy a display case and put it in my bedroom. Someday someone probably another generation removed can sell it if they desire.

Once more thanks to all.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
LBK, no, no chip here. If that rifle were to change hands, you're a man who's capable of appreciating the condition of the firearm and father-son linage the heirloom carries.

pp1213, I just received a gun from my uncle this week; a mint 30 year old Remington Custom C grade with stunning tiger striped walnut that punches one hole groups. Selling it for money seems inappropriate and whether the gun ever gets hunted or not is immaterial. 'Glad you've chosen to keep your 30-30.

Last edited by olgrouser; 04/12/13.

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by olgrouser
LBK, no, no chip here. If that rifle were to change hands, you're a man who's capable of appreciating the condition of the firearm and father-son linage the heirloom carries.

pp1213, I just received a gun from uncle this week; a mint 30 year old Remington Custom C grade with stunning tiger striped walnut that punches one hole groups. Selling it for money seems inappropriate whether the gun ever gets hunted or not is immaterial. 'Glad you've chosen to keep your 30-30.

Bert,
I apologize for taking your statement wrong. That's the whole problem with the written word. Everyone interprets it in their own way and more often than not it's the WRONG way. It takes a long time to build a conglomeration that you can appreciate. It troubles me to see guns sold that meant so much to someone for so long because they are in financial trouble or they are afraid of the government. But when you are handed anything from a family member as a possible heirloom and then sell it. Sooner or later you'll realize you sold a memory. And you will more likely than not, regret it. That said. Now I am in a position in my life that if I want something, by God I'm going to have it and never look back.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
But when you are handed anything from a family member as a possible heirloom and then sell it. Sooner or later you'll realize you sold a memory.

That's kinda the crux of my problem. Since I have no progeny it becomes a question of should I pass 3 generations of firearms off to another branch of the family or should I sell them and be done with it. I'm leaning toward passing them off to other branches of the family and the progeny of several of my good friends. If and when I do so each will be fully documented as to their origin.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (219 Wasp, 1badf350, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 53 invisible), 1,640 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,993
Posts18,520,267
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.