Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
So a few months ago my uncle calls me and says he's getting to old and his guns aren't gettin used anymore and wanted me to price them out for him, so he can sale them. He had a couple Model 94 Wins, Ruger Blackhawk, a couple Browning B2000 shotguns, a few Remington 700's and a Ruger #1 300 Win. I told him I wanted the Ruger but there was no way I could afford to buy it from him. Well long story short, he sold all the guns except one and show's up at my house and gives it to me shocked shocked !! HELL YEAH laugh !! His only comment was I better let him win the next time we go golfing! So now what scope do I put on it?! It's a classic so it's gotta be a gloss scope! Maybe a Leup 3.5-10? Anyway I'm stoked up!
Here are some pics
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Golden Rule: One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.

Tall, Wide and Handsome!
TICK
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
a 300 Win Mag ended my fascination with magnums but man that is a beautiful rifle!

Congrats on the inheritance!

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I'm not to worried about the "Magnum" aspect of things. I've owned a 30-378 and now I own a 300 RUM. I've just always loved the Ruger #1's and never could bring myself to spend the money on one.

Tall, Wide and Handsome!
TICK
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tick, nice looking 300...........

The Zeiss Conquest 3X9 fits nicely on the Ruger No.1

[Linked Image]

Also the early Burris Full-Field (not FF II) fits.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by 308ld; 04/13/13.

Ed
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Helluva deal Tick, congrats, I'd have a gloss 3.5-10x40 Leupold on the brown truck headed my way today. smile

Gunner

Trump Won!
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One inch tube - gloss black - very nice. You're uncle is a gem.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by 308ld

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I too recommend the Zeiss Conquest. The way the scope mounts on the #1 that generous eye relief that the Zeiss has is good to have. Love the Number 1's!!

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Awesome rifle there! Simply gorgeous!

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
[Linked Image]

3.5x10x40 VX3 w/extended rings

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by local_favorite
Originally Posted by 308ld

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I too recommend the Zeiss Conquest. The way the scope mounts on the #1 that generous eye relief that the Zeiss has is good to have. Love the Number 1's!!

You can't get a gloss Conquest.......can you?

I'd recommend 2.5-8 or 3.5-10 Leupold.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mine wears a Burris FF-II with Ballistic Plex Reticle. Much as I like the Leupold 3.5-10 scopes I's sure miss the Ballistic Plex reticle.
[Linked Image]

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks guys! My grandfather had one of these when I was a kid, don't remember the caliber. To me just remembering my gramps killing elk, mule deer and antelope with it brings out the thought of the old school western hunters rifle, I love the way they look and feel. I just hope I don't have any accuracy issues that I've read about them.

Tall, Wide and Handsome!
TICK
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I was jelous ,,, but wait,, I get a 300 Savage from my dad someday. Here he is in a pic near Rock Springs or Lusk Wy. It is on the right, he is my dad.[Linked Image]

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Woodtick;
That looks like a fine rifle that you've been given, a special gift indeed. cool

While it's no longer mine, this '82 vintage .300 Win Mag accounted for quite a few local mulie bucks as it was my primary saddle hunting rifle for years.

[Linked Image]

As with most firearms that pass through my hands, it got quite modified before it left here. I installed a Decelerator, Moyers trigger and Gentry barrel band on it, as well as fabricating a UHMW barrel shoe and then drilling and tapping the fore end hanger so I could vary the pressure on the shoe.

Lastly I looked through all of my black walnut supply to find a chunk of wood that complimented the butt stock and made up a new fore end for it.

Anyway as to your original question, because it was a saddle gun and I have short legs, I chose a Leupold Compact 6X for it and never had a moments regret or problems.

This one was and is really quite an accurate rifle especially when fed 180gr Hornadys - the two types of Interlocks and the Interbond too.

Hopefully that was some use to you sir. Good luck on your hunts with that fine looking rifle whichever way you decide.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
"I just hope I don't have any accuracy issues that I've read about them."

I'm thinking you won't.I have three Ruger #1 rifles in .300 Win. mag., a "B" and two "S" models. I haven't shot one of the "S" models yet, a 200th Year of American Liberty gun.
The #1B was amazingly accurate with the older semi-round nose Nosler 200 gr. Partition. Usually when I did my part .375" groups were fairly common. I've test shot the one "S" model and with 200 gr. Speer Hot Core I got .75" groups so at least for those two I'm not complaining. I haven't shot the "Liberty" gun yet but I'm thinking it should do OK. One thing I do recommend though; seal the wood well. As far as I can tell, Ruger either does not seal the raw wood or just does a very pisspoor job of it. Case in point, I was elk hunting out of John Day Oregon with my #1B something like 40 years ago and got caught in a very nasty rain storm while up on the mountain. Wind was so bad it literally ripped my rain gear off me. I learned later that the weather station at the John Day airport recorded a 120 MHP wing gust. shocked Guess I was lucky and on the right side of the mountain. whistle On the way home we spent the night at King's River Ranch in Nevada with friends. This is a private club game ranch and they put out pheasnts for the members to hunt. The guy we hunted with was also the gamekeeper so we got to shoot a few birds. While hunting the birds, we spotted a coyote running off with one of the pheasants. The only rifle that was handy was my #1B .300 Mag. so I was told to kill that coyote. An easy going straight away shot and I never touched him once. I got four shots off wile he was still in sight before getting into a bunch of brush. When I got home here in Tucson, after resting up for a few days, I took the rifle to the range to see what was wrong. A fellow shooter said I was shooting over the top of the backer and damn near going over the berm. shocked I knew there wasn't enough elevation in the scope to bring the hits down so I pulled the forearm off and even five days after that rainstorm, the wood was still quite wet. Well, I stored the wood from the rifle out in one of my sheds where it's hot and dry and would put it back on the gun once a year, take it out and shoot it. Every year it got a bit better and finally, after five years it finaly shot to point of aim once more. cool
FWIW, I have a few Ruger M77s as well and they too are IMHO very poorly sealed, if at all.
I like the Ruger #1 rifles in their various configurations and have 21 so far in my collection. They get hunted too. cool
I think you'll enjoy that rifle. I've only shot 200 grain bullets in mine. They seem to like them. I'll be trying some 200 gr. Partitions sometime in the near future. With a bit of luck, you should be able to reach 2900 FPS with a 200 gr. bullet, should you want to go that heavy.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sweet rifle, count yourself blessed.

`Bring Enough Gun`
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I just noticed this gun has made in the 200th Year of American Liberty on the barrel. I'm assuming 1976 model then? I wished to hell a guy could find brass right now!! Guess I'll have to buy my 1st box of shells in 15+ years to shoot it.

Tall, Wide and Handsome!
TICK
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tick, that is a very nice gift from your uncle, very nice. Really like the stock on it. That gun with it's 26" barrel would be a candidate for the new 190 gr Accubond Long Range bullet coming out, bet you could break 3000 fps pretty easily....

Gerry.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You scored all right. My Liberty .300 mag in the 1B is one of my favorite rifles smile

[Linked Image]

You'll probably find that rifle has a really long throat on it, and you can leave the bullets seated to around 3.600 OAL, about like a .300 Weatherby's OAL.

Mine is sub-MOA with Reloader 22 and either Nosler 180 BT's or Partitions, and Federal 215M primers. Start around 72 gr and work up, and I'm betting you'll be very pleased with it. 3100 fps is easy to achieve out of that 26" barrel.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Tex_n_cal, what Leupold do you have on that gun there? That gun is awful damn purty!

Tall, Wide and Handsome!
TICK
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

501 members (3040Krag, 300_savage, 2500HD, 270wsmnutt, 1badf350, 2ndwind, 51 invisible), 1,918 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,028
Posts18,520,872
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.