Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
JoeMama Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
---Disclosure statement---
I work at the assembly plant that makes the Chevy Traverse, GMC Acadia and the Buick Enclave.
---End Disclosure---

Here is an index that takes into consideration issues like
-The foreign content that is internal to major items like transmission
-Where/if profits are expatriated to non-US destinations
-Location of R&D centers (let's keep some brain jobs in the US, not just brawn jobs)

http://kogodnow.com/autoindex/

I am a conservative with a lowercase "c".

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Just curious. How much, if any, of the "American" would include Canada or Mexico?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How is Chrysler still considered headquartered in America? Isn't Fiat HQ in Italy?

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it's natural manure. - Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Woohoo! I scored a 78.5! I checked out some F series trucks. I could probably drive one of those once my current rig blows past 200,000 in another 5 or so years.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
A few years back GM was advertising its autos as "made in North America", implying U.S. and Canada. Many of the parts were coming from Mexico.(yes, I know, Mexico is part of North America)
JoeMama:
Still see "American made" cars with a brake light that doesn't work. Usually on the drivers side. Mexico?

Last edited by websterparish47; 04/12/13.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Combined driveway average of 81, farm would be around 88, all Fords.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
88.5% for me. Love my Acadia AWD. That thing is a tank in the heavy snows we have had this year!

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
87.5 work, 50 pleasure.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How about a "Made in America But Not Made by Government Motors" index?

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
JoeMama Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by websterparish47
JoeMama:
Still see "American made" cars with a brake light that doesn't work. Usually on the drivers side. Mexico?

For whatever reason, the major suppliers of tail-lamps always seem to be teetering on the brink of bankruptcy. It may be be because stylists/designers keep driving more and more complexity into both headlamps and tail lamps. You can only torture sheet metal so much. But the perception is that you can do ANYTHING with injection molded plastic.

It makes me sick to my stomach when I hear about people in New Jersey paying $2200 to replace one headlamp on a Nissan.

Again, for reasons that are completely beyond me, customers in New York and New Jersey pay higher prices for replacement headlamps and tail lamps than other states.

IC B3

JoeMama Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Combined driveway average of 81, farm would be around 88, all Fords.

I like that: "Combined driveway average..."

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
American cars and trucks continue to get better. I wouldn't trade my Ford 350 with 7.3.

The only cure for life and death is to enjoy the interval.
George Santayana
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Clearly not American made but badazz none the same. I am trying to figure out how to get one of these from Oz to Idaho.

http://www.motorama.com.au/view.php...hite_5_Speed_Manual_Cab_Chassis/6275016/

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by JoeMama
Originally Posted by websterparish47
JoeMama:

For whatever reason, the major suppliers of tail-lamps always seem to be teetering on the brink of bankruptcy. It may be be because stylists/designers keep driving more and more complexity into both headlamps and tail lamps. You can only torture sheet metal so much. But the perception is that you can do ANYTHING with injection molded plastic.

It makes me sick to my stomach when I hear about people in New Jersey paying $2200 to replace one headlamp on a Nissan.

Again, for reasons that are completely beyond me, customers in New York and New Jersey pay higher prices for replacement headlamps and tail lamps than other states.

Could it be payback for the stupid politicians they continue to elect? grin

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
JoeMama Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by VAhuntr

Could it be payback for the stupid politicians they continue to elect? grin

Their choice. But it does suggest a business opportunity. Campfire members living near transportation hubs like Memphis could sell head lamps and tail lamps on ebay with a healthy markup and still sell them in NY or NJ. Member makes money. Customer in NY NJ has new in box part.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Joe Mama, it probably is the stupid politicians, BUT, alot of us folks on the western part of the state are saddled with the idiots, because of mainly NYC. And the blue hairs that will only vote DEM.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
74% but I drive a Toyota...

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My next one will most likely be a Toyota. Ford transmissions are making me angry.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it's natural manure. - Thomas Jefferson
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by BrianSin
Joe Mama, it probably is the stupid politicians, BUT, alot of us folks on the western part of the state are saddled with the idiots, because of mainly NYC. And the blue hairs that will only vote DEM.

Lighting systems on vehicles have to be tested and approved by the feds. I'd suspect NY and NJ have their own additional standards. Akin to California's emission standards...

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by EdM
Clearly not American made but badazz none the same. I am trying to figure out how to get one of these from Oz to Idaho.

http://www.motorama.com.au/view.php...hite_5_Speed_Manual_Cab_Chassis/6275016/

I went so far as a purchase of this very vehicle that I contacted dealers in Dubai, South Africa, and New Zealand a few years ago. Current prices at the time with tax equaled around 43K. Add the 5-7K shipping container price plus air fare to close the deal had me rethink the purchase. I ended up in a new 2500 GMC crew 4WD for 44,500 OTD.
I would really like to see Toyota introduce this vehicle in the US market, but emissions and crash? tests have killed that option?

When people face the possibility of freezing or starving there is little chance they are going to listen to unfounded claims of climate doomsday from a bunch of ultra-rich yacht sailing private jet-setting carbon-spewing hypocrite elites
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

140 members (7887mm08, 1OntarioJim, 6mmCreedmoor, 338reddog, 10 invisible), 1,572 guests, and 926 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,371
Posts18,488,328
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.