Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Being military, I have to shave everyday. And being of Irish decent, I cant skip a day. But...

I have tried all of the expensive, fancy razors...they just don't seem to cut all too close. With all the emphasis on 'sensitve' skin and such, the razor doesnt give a close, clean shave. I've tried everything from Mach III to the Schick Hyrdo 3 and 5 blade...etc.

I have no been considering a safety razor. For one, they are said to get MUCH closer,second only to a straight razor (no trying that) The repacement blade are FAR cheaper and the razor handles just plain look cool. I'm conidering something like this from Duluth Trading Co.

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/mens/...-man/71029.aspx

Who has used, or uses, this type of razor? What is your recomendations or suggestions. Should i use regular store bought shave cream or get a cup and brush and go that route? Maybe some shave soap? Thanks in advance.

Oh, and I will have a ALUM block as well for the nicks and such...

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/produ...mmended_product

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I actually have the original safety razor I used while in the Army and still use it. Of course, being old fashioned, I still use a mug and brush for the lather! LOL

A safety razor may be closer, but it will mean having to take more strokes to do so.

Last but not least, your angle will be more critical, otherwise you WILL nick yourself! LOL

Good Luck and thank you for your service!
Keith

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Thinking about going back to a safety razor myself. The double/triple/multi blade ones are expensive, and my beard is like wire, so I use up a blade pretty quickly.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My girlfriend bought me a set for my birthday. Have to say, I prefer it to the current multi blades. It does take a bit more time, and a few more strokes, but it just feels better.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I keep looking for one in antique stores. When I find one that suits me, I'm making the switch.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I made the switch several years ago and will never go back. A good site for supplies- http://www.royalshave.com/

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it's natural manure. - Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
As far as shaving soap, for many years I've shaved in the shower using good old hand soap. You'll get a closer shave in the shower or right after one because the whiskers will be softer.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Proraso shave soap, Feather blades, badger hair brush, and any vintage Gillette razor.

John 3:36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a Gellete Saftey Razor that was US Army Issue from WWI, came in a nice khaki case and its own little mirror. As others have said the shave is closer and does a better job if you have heavy growth. Bath and Body Works sells a mens shaving cream in the tube(similar to tooth paste) that works well and travels better than a mug and brush.

"Good tings come to dose who shoots straight." Alphonse Soady
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My face has always burned liked fire and became oily after shaving. I tried to avoid shaving or use the beard trimmer to keep it as close as possible without dragging a blade across my skin. I tried various razors, shaving cream, electric razors and techniques including shaving in the shower.

About six years ago I read a thread on wet shaving and decided to give it a shot after finding a couple of my great grandfathers safety razors. I bought a sample pack of blades like this,

https://www.detailsformen.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=593&gclid=CLr7rKD5xLYCFQgHnQod12cAYw

I started out with a brush and a recommended soap and decided that simply took too much time. I tried all the blades for a week at a time and settled on the Feather. The Feather was reported to be the sharpest blade and not recommended for new guys but I only nicked myself a few times.

My great grandfathers razors are brass and tended to turn blue so I bought a Merkur Classic and two 100-packs of Feather blades, with Edge Ultra-Sensitive cream I can shave every day without issues although I typically skip a day.

The 2-4-6 blade disposables crack me up, I think that is the same as 2, 4 or 6 passes so I used the Bic disposable single blade before switching to the safety razor.

Dave

IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I shave in the shower and use a Mach 5. First pass I go with the grain and the second pass I go against the grain. It isn't that close after the first pass, but I couldn't imagine anything closer after the second pass.

Do you ever go back against the grain?

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
I go against the grain, and it is a close shave, but not the close I have seen wwith tese types. I'm gonna give it a try and see how it goes. Buying these stupid expensive cartridges all the time is crazy. A 10 pk of blades is $1.95 at the BX for a safety razor.

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Well, I got everything ordered up. Time will tell if this works out for me...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Classicshaving.com. Great place. I use the classic Merkur with the Israeli blades. The blades aren't on that site. But you can get 100 at a time on Amazon for $20 or so.

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
I ordered a Merkur Long handle and a small pack of blades for now. I also got a Badger brush, Stand, Soap cup and Soap. Everything from Amazon.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You should know that it's not the same as the stuff you were using.

Typically, a good quality handle will have some weight to it. Normally, that weight should be sufficient for shaving. No need to press down. But I've had good quality ones that were light. Just gotta know how hard to shave. It doesn't take much.

For the record, I'm Irish as well. And in the Corps, had to shave down, sideways, and up. Sometimes twice a day. Which is hell on fair Irish skin as you know. I still shave down and sideways. Out of habit I guess. Good luck.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I am seriously thinking of going to a straight razor. A good one costs a bunch and anything less if not worth a dime. I shave my cheeks, neck and head about every other day.

Please let us know how you like your new system.

And thank you for your service. You and those who are standing at your side are the finest this nation has to offer.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
There are several sites, the art of shaving, classic shave, I go to royal shave. Try the Merkur, and Derby blades, Straight razor is the ultimate. I have one, but cant bring myself to shaving the neck area with it. And thank you for serving

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I use my grandpa's. When he passed, I claimed his safety razor, my cousin got is mug and brush. Wish I had the whole set.

Clos

NRA Life Member

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pira114
Classicshaving.com. Great place. I use the classic Merkur with the Israeli blades. The blades aren't on that site. But you can get 100 at a time on Amazon for $20 or so.

I ordered a 100 pack of Feather's from Amazon but they didn't show up after several weeks, I contacted the seller and was sent a replacement pack and the first set arrived. That has me set for quite a while now.

Those who are really into wet shaving recommend the sample packs and trying different soaps and creams.

Dave

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 63 invisible), 2,349 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,394
Posts18,488,821
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.