Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
this weekend i finally got around to casting some 10mm bullets. wheelweight, lynotype, and some lead free solder mixture. They are in a 200grain style inspired by elmer, a true keith bullet. The other part is in addition to solids, the mould threw normal hollowpoints and pentad shaped hollowpoints.
started running them through the sizer and lubing them today.
I think they are going to be fun to shoot. eventually i might oven bake them too.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by deflave
I freely admit to lovin' the 40.

Travis
That's nothin'. I rode the school bus with this kid who freely admitted to lovin' some pigs.

I Always thought that the .40 S&W caliber was Gay... Only Real Men shoot 10mm's !

Ought Oh, bet i got a GFY coming from Travis, now wink

Last edited by chlinstructor; 04/15/13. Reason: Spelling

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I like my Delta Elite 10mm a lot because it can - and does - serve several duty's or roles for me. Daily carry, hunting, backwoods carry, plinking or target shooting, bedstand gun, truck gun etc. etc.

My do it al load is a 180gr Gold Dot over 14.6gr of AA#9 in only brand new Starline nickel plated cases for a snoutspeed of 1375, chronographed. That load is probably a bit too stiff for a factory issue 1911 style pistol in 10mm but mine has a Storm Lake barrel, mega stiff recoil spring and was set up and timed specifically for those loads (I sent a full box of 50 down with the gun) by Jack Huntington at JRH custom guns. JWP475 reffered me to Jack and I am really glad he did. Thanks JWP475!

Thanks to all who opined here, it has been an interesting and fun discussion, typical of a virtual hot stove league type of chatter. Mucho fun! For me, I lke MY 10mm a lot. As always YMMV <g>

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
For one thing Mark, the 10mm ain't that great. There were already existent rounds and once people started really putting the horsepower behind 45 autos, that was easily seen.

The "10mm" is actually the 10mm Norma Magnum, IIRC. The 9mm could be several cartridges, since several are 9mm. Most folks call it the 9mm Parabellum or 9x19 when they want to be formal. I don't think the moniker "10mm" had much to do with the 10's demise. The 40 S&W going over so very well in Law Enforcement and the 10mm's failure to completely win over the FBI was more the beginning and end of it.

How much is a Delta Elite Stainless, NIB, worth right now? Sorry for the hijack but you go to a lot of gunshows.

I have had a table or two at several gunshows already this year and cannot recall seeing a SS Delta Elite for sale at one. Sorry to dissapoint, but they do not seem to be very available.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
just curious what recoil spring weight are you using in your delta elite? Are you using the shock buffs?

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by safariman
For one thing Mark, the 10mm ain't that great. There were already existent rounds and once people started really putting the horsepower behind 45 autos, that was easily seen.

The "10mm" is actually the 10mm Norma Magnum, IIRC. The 9mm could be several cartridges, since several are 9mm. Most folks call it the 9mm Parabellum or 9x19 when they want to be formal. I don't think the moniker "10mm" had much to do with the 10's demise. The 40 S&W going over so very well in Law Enforcement and the 10mm's failure to completely win over the FBI was more the beginning and end of it.

How much is a Delta Elite Stainless, NIB, worth right now? Sorry for the hijack but you go to a lot of gunshows.

I have had a table or two at several gunshows already this year and cannot recall seeing a SS Delta Elite for sale at one. Sorry to dissapoint, but they do not seem to be very available.
Two new ones at the Topeka gunshow I went to Saturday. Different dealers. I think one was like $1150 and the other was like $1350. There was a new Gold Cup there for I think, $1150 as well. Other tens were at least three 20 Glocks. Low was $499 and high was $650. Glocks were all new too.

The first guy I talked to seems to be able to get fairly hard-to-obtain new stuff. I bought my Smith Governor from him and they aren't exactly common even now. He had one of the Delta's.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by deflave
I freely admit to lovin' the 40.

Travis
That's nothin'. I rode the school bus with this kid who freely admitted to lovin' some pigs.

I Always thought that the .40 S&W caliber was Gay... Only Real Men shoot 10mm's !

Ought Oh, bet i got a GFY coming from Travis, now wink

The 40 covers a lot of ground and I'd say that's been proven with a lot of pocketbooks.

And chronographing most 10mm's could leave their owners a little butt hurt.

Now, GFY.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
have you tried running .40s through your Delta? i've heard it works fine in the G20 but haven't tried it...

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by toad
have you tried running .40s through your Delta? i've heard it works fine in the G20 but haven't tried it...

I haven't. Probably never will, I have plenty of 10 brass right now.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

45 Super

[Linked Image]

Why go small

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
.45 Super is a nice way to go, but since there�s very little factory ammo, the 10mm makes more sense to many.

I�d love to learn how your gunsmith setup your .45 Super.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Not sure what it's good for but I just bought one.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jimmyp
just curious what recoil spring weight are you using in your delta elite? Are you using the shock buffs?

No shock buffers, and I do not know what the spring wieght is in my DE. I know that when I sent it down to Jack Huntington it had a dual spring setup and now it is a single and I also know that it is VERY stiff. I would not recomend it for someone with smaller hands or any hand weakness. Sorry that I cannot be more specific. I have entrusted this pistol to the capable hands of Jack Huntington and our own Kevin Gibson and I trust thier workmanship and knowledge in such matters. I just keep it fed, sorta-maybe clean and lubed and enjoy it!

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i really don't know why most factory ammo, in 10mm is downloaded to that of basically a 40s&w. With the exception of some of the specialty makers like doubletap.
It seems like it's a handloaders affair to get real performance out of it.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Aspade, that is a beautiful pistol there! Very sharp looking, big time! And that is a lot of pistol power there. I am sure you will find a use and purpose for it. Calling in and putting the big smackdown on an entire PACK of Wolves, for example....

Come to think of it, that weapon would do yeoman duty on a pack of four legged OR two legged wolves/predators.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Waders
...the 10mm's failure to completely win over the FBI was more the beginning and end of it.

That was my first thought. The members of the general public all seem to know that the FBI ditched the 10mm. They don't know or care what the reason was, or if it was a valid reason. They don't know anything about the 10mm itself. They just know that it "failed" with the FBI, and a well-funded agency like that must be on top of things. So, the 10mm is "bad."

The word is that the Sissy agents in the FBI couldn't handle it and wanted something smaller so the didn't have to quit or step back to a desk job where they should have been.

Last edited by 17ACKLEYBEE; 04/15/13.

NRA Lifetime Member
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 17ACKLEYBEE
...the 10mm's failure to completely win over the FBI was more the beginning and end of it.

That was my first thought. The members of the general public all seem to know that the FBI ditched the 10mm. They don't know or care what the reason was, or if it was a valid reason. They don't know anything about the 10mm itself. They just know that it "failed" with the FBI, and a well-funded agency like that must be on top of things. So, the 10mm is "bad."

The word is that the Sissy agents in the FBI couldn't handle it and wanted something smaller so the didn't have to quit or step back to a desk job where they should have been.

BINGO!

If I am in trouble, I want Kojack, or Steven Segal with a real gun! Not Angie Dickinson or Farrah Fawcett with a snubbie 38!

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Thanks safariman, I have some work to do on it yet.

The factory recoil spring is so light that if you push the slide back 1/4" with an empty magazine it can't overcome the follower drag to even return to battery. Supposedly it's 14# but feels more like 10 to me. Good for a 9mm maybe.

I found a guy (henningshootsguns) who made square bottom firing pin stops for these but he doesn't have any right now and isn't doing another batch for a while. Will go with a heavier hammer spring too although I haven't figured out how to take it apart that far yet. The DA trigger is pretty bad to begin with and that will only make it worse but that's what a thumb safety is for.

On the upside, the SA trigger is outstanding, and until 10mm ammo shows up again there's a factory conversion slide for 22LR although it's backordered like everything else right now.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

I'd bet there are a lot of novice handgunners that would have a hard time with full house 10mm's. FBI or otherwise.

Travis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I�m not sure how serious of a comment that is�

The full power 10mm is more than most would want for self defense. After Miami, the FBI went out looking for the �ultimate� in a law enforcement handgun, and settled on the 10mm lite. What they were looking for was .45 ACP terminal performance with 9mm barrier penetration, and for the most part, that�s what they got. Right after S&W sold them the 1076 in 10mm, they came up with the .40 S&W cartridge. The FBI had some contractual obligations, so they didn�t switch over to the .40 S&W, but as soon as they were lifted from those contracts, the 1076 was relegated. By that time, very good defense loads had been developed using the FBI�s criteria for .38 Special, 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP; allowing the individual agent some latitude in caliber and weapon choice.

For concealed carry, 10mm guns can be a bit large with the exception of the 1911 or Commander. In full power loads, you�re gaining a good deal of recoil, and more significantly, muzzle blast; neither of which are welcome in a defensive pistol. Notice that even the most professional agents and agencies have never adopted the 10mm. Most view it as more power than they�ll need with some undesirable baggage. Most US SWAT/HRU teams choose the .45 ACP or .40 S&W, and I�d say those are very good choices for their needs. European units almost universally choose the 9mm. All 3 work just fine.

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

108 members (10gaugemag, 308ld, 2500HD, 1_deuce, 16 invisible), 1,727 guests, and 984 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,650
Posts18,512,630
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.