Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Yeah, but there is no 41mag that holds 15 rounds.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I mailed the payment today for a S&W 610 with 5" barrel. It will be interesting to see what can be done in it, versus an autoloader.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
Originally Posted by safariman
2nd wind,

I am the OP and I never posted a picture of a blown case on another forum because I don't belong to any other forums. You might have me confused with someone else. My hanloads are under the specs of the original Dorneaus and Dixon/ Norma loadings and do not even create a creased or "smiley face" on my brass and my pistol was set up by a true proffesional to run with my loads so on we shall go. So far quite a few rounds downrange with those loads. I will keep running them, they are not scary hot by any stretch. They are only close to the speeds this cartridge was supposed to run at in the beginning. with the relatively slow burning AA#9 I use, I have little concern about chamber pressure etc.

Um, yeah it was you Mark.... Normally I'd just chalk it up as a "whatever" but not when you post 14.6 grains of Acurate Arms # 9 behind a 180 grain bullet.... factory data is 1.1 grains below that which is a pretty big deal in a relatively small case like the 10MM.

http://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/accurate_load_data_3.5.pdf

Reader beware Internet load data... YMMV

Really? Which forum? I barely can post pictures in THIS forum, have never even tried in any other forum. I joined the 10mm fan club forum for a short while to get some load data, but never tried to post a photo, and I have not logged into that site in a very long time.

A nnumber of my handloads are above book spec but safe in MY guns, and tested as so. Every gun and barrel is a law unto ittself, I use my chronograph to tell me lots, and case observation for other things.

but you are correct, for shure, in always being cautious of any internet posted data. My gun (Aftermarket barrel, springs and more) is specifically set up for those loads, much like a smith would modify another 1911 for 460 Rowland or 45 Super loadings. Someones other guns probably are not.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
2nd wind,

I am the OP and I never posted a picture of a blown case on another forum because I don't belong to any other forums. You might have me confused with someone else. My hanloads are under the specs of the original Dorneaus and Dixon/ Norma loadings and do not even create a creased or "smiley face" on my brass and my pistol was set up by a true proffesional to run with my loads so on we shall go. So far quite a few rounds downrange with those loads. I will keep running them, they are not scary hot by any stretch. They are only close to the speeds this cartridge was supposed to run at in the beginning. with the relatively slow burning AA#9 I use, I have little concern about chamber pressure etc.

Um, yeah it was you Mark.... Normally I'd just chalk it up as a "whatever" but not when you post 14.6 grains of Acurate Arms # 9 behind a 180 grain bullet.... factory data is 1.1 grains below that which is a pretty big deal in a relatively small case like the 10MM.

http://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/accurate_load_data_3.5.pdf

Reader beware Internet load data... YMMV

Really? Which forum? I barely can post pictures in THIS forum, have never even tried in any other forum. I joined the 10mm fan club forum for a short while to get some load data, but never tried to post a photo, and I have not logged into that site in a very long time.

A nnumber of my handloads are above book spec but safe in MY guns, and tested as so. Every gun and barrel is a law unto ittself, I use my chronograph to tell me lots, and case observation for other things.

but you are correct, for shure, in always being cautious of any internet posted data. My gun (Aftermarket barrel, springs and more) is specifically set up for those loads, much like a smith would modify another 1911 for 460 Rowland or 45 Super loadings. Someones other guns probably are not.

as you say, your gun is set up, and you use your chrony, and case observation, can you tell us what pressure under either method is being hit with your loads in your gun, and how you arrived at that figure?

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Yeah, but there is no 41mag that holds 15 rounds.

^This!^^^ I really love all my .41mag revolvers, but if I could only choose between my .41mag with 6 rounds or my Glock 20 10mm with 16 rounds in black bear country, it's a no brainer! I'm going with my Glock 20 Every Time. That's why I pack the Glock 10mm when I'm bow hunting in the lower 48.

If I'm headed back to Alaska, I'll be packing a .480 Ruger & my 300 Ultra Mag. wink

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
if only a Glock could be found with a 1911 trigger.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
I mailed the payment today for a S&W 610 with 5" barrel. It will be interesting to see what can be done in it, versus an autoloader.

Please let me know how things turn out. I've a 6.5" and it's WAY more accurate than I can shoot with everything from 40's to 10's. I've still never run it over the chrono and checked it against my other 10's...maybe after turkey season.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Eremicus
No, I don't think a different name would have done it. It's a gun nut's round. Takes a shooter who understands and appreciates the differences to like it.
For me, you can't run fast enough to give me a .45 Super or anything like it for my 1911's. I don't see any of the SAAMI members loading ammo for it either. Must be a few good reasons I suspect.
Shoot a 10 for while along side a 9mm, a .357, a .45 ACP, or a .41 Magnum and it's appeal becomes apparent. More power and range than the first three and alot easier on the shooter than the .41. All in a very tough, high capacity pistol. Alot to like there. E

45 Super operates at lower pressure than does the 10mm

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
10mm is much closer to .357mag performance than .41mag performance.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MartyC
The 10 was the one that the FBI was too wimpy to shoot, therefore much better than the 40, those lawyer types were too puny to handle a real gun, take your own take on that. The 10 is almost a ballistic twi to the 41 mag. People kill BIG stuff with the 41, 10 can do that.
MC

If you can't shoot a 10 you're FBI desk job material.

NRA Lifetime Member
IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by 17ACKLEYBEE
Originally Posted by MartyC
The 10 was the one that the FBI was too wimpy to shoot, therefore much better than the 40, those lawyer types were too puny to handle a real gun, take your own take on that. The 10 is almost a ballistic twi to the 41 mag. People kill BIG stuff with the 41, 10 can do that.
MC

If you can't shoot a 10 you're FBI desk job material.

That's brilliant.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Really ? Where is this pressure tested data ?
The 1911 was never designed for that level of pressure in that large a case. Even +P ammo for the .45 ACP ( 21-23,000 psi) is way below the 37,500 psi for the smaller 10mm case. Everybody is well aware that the much smaller 10mm case is pretty tough on beefed up 1911's.
Not me.
My experiences with the 10mm is that it can go critical pretty easily. I have no desire to have mine break something on a really warm day. E

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Fusion Arms builds custom 10MM 1911s ....you can also order extra barrels in .40 S&W and .357 Sig
http://www.fusionfirearms.com/product-category/handguns/custom-builds/six-inch/

Fusion will also mill slides to accept bases for latest generation micro Red Dots.... Expensive but man it would be fun to shoot.... Thinking that owners of pistols like this would help keep 10MM ammo in production.....

Please don't feed the trolls!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
there is tons of data related to the lower pressure 45 Super vs. the higher 10mm pressure with the same bullet weight.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Eremicus
Really ? Where is this pressure tested data ?
The 1911 was never designed for that level of pressure in that large a case. Even +P ammo for the .45 ACP ( 21-23,000 psi) is way below the 37,500 psi for the smaller 10mm case. Everybody is well aware that the much smaller 10mm case is pretty tough on beefed up 1911's.
Not me.
My experiences with the 10mm is that it can go critical pretty easily. I have no desire to have mine break something on a really warm day. E

The 45 Super is no where near the 37,500 PSI of the 10mm, now the 460 Rowland is close to that pressure

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Underwood 220 gr. hard cast loads in stock now...

LINKY

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
That 220 would be a pentrating sonofagun! Don't need it out here where a black bear is the biggest and baddest thing in the woods, though. Seeing as my 180 Gold Dot load blew thorugh the chest of a good sized boar in TN and put the big hurt on the tree behind it. Rattler said (He was watching this all go down from another angle) that the tree looked as if someone had thrown a 5 gallon bucket of bark and wood chips against the tree. If I make it back to Alaska and go fishing in brown bear country, I will buy a box of these and pack my Delta Elite with these on tap. I have no fears of this ammo with the way my particular DE is set up. My 180 handloads are the equivalent of these and the Norma loads of 20 or so years ago. BTW, thoe Norma loads were what Colt was working with when they engineered the Delta Elite. My DE came fromColt with a solid rib atop the slide for more weight and to stiffen it as well as dual recoil springs that were pretty heavy duty. Too much angst and hand wringing, IMO, about the weakness of the gun for 10mm loads that are original spec. Good brass like Starline is a must, IMO, for the stiffer loads but if the brass is not giving one "smiley faces" around the unsupported part of the case, the rest of the gun should be OK if properly set up. My Storm Lake barrel 1) supports more of the case and 2) remains locked to the slide longer in the firing sequence to reduce the slide velocity some. Other mods were made as well to handle the stout loads I am feeding it. Even at all that, however, I do not shoot those loads very much. Plain vanilla 10mm loads with the 180's at 1175 are just fine for practice and plinking. They just about dribble out of the gun on the eject, though, since it is set up for more powerful loads.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

Please let me know how things turn out. I've a 6.5" and it's WAY more accurate than I can shoot with everything from 40's to 10's. I've still never run it over the chrono and checked it against my other 10's...maybe after turkey season.

I have some Hornady 155 factory loads handy, also (I think) some component bullets of the same weight, so I'll see what I can whip up in the next week or so. No AA9 around here, but I know I have some AA7, which oughta drive 155's over 1400 fps out of the Kimber, with its ramped barrel.

I think a 200gr WFN would be pretty sweet in the 610, but not sure I could get it to feed in the Kimber. Either Colt probably would eat it, but the revo loads are gonna wind up stout smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thinking a 610 shoots well in part due to a nice crisp trigger, but compared to an auto, thinking the 'gap' might level the playing field on speed.

Same length, no gap might give the nod to an auto, though granted part of the auto bbl houses the round, so subtract that from length of bore for powder to burn.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
yeah, a 3# trigger and the heavy full lug barrel should make it less wiggly.

Agreed the cylinder gap will cost some velocity, too. Which can possibly be made up some with heavier charges. The gun is obviously gonna take anything the brass will take. That's partly why I'd like to get some 200 BFN's, so there less chance of dropping one into a Colt.

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 70 invisible), 2,309 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,673
Posts18,513,195
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.