Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
Originally Posted by safariman
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
The firing pin stop is just a “little extra”, it never (or should never) be the difference between safe and unsafe. Lock time is a function of about 90% slide weight, and only around 10% springs (recoil and hammer).

Which is probably why Colt added a full length solid rib to the slide of my Delta Elite.

How about the timing of the barrel and slide separating ways? Jack Huntington believes that if one delays the disengagement of those two via changing the depth and geometry of the barrel/slide locking lugs one effectively increases the slide weight or mass for part of the cycle by keeping it mated with the barrel and by extension the barrels weight/mass for the most critical microseconds of the rearward movement of the slide assembly. Do you concurr with that theory and practice?

In the case of my DE, we changed the barrel to one that suppported more of the case and fit the barrel in such a way that it remains locked to the slide a bit longer for that effect. Went with a nice stiff single recoil spring as well for good measure.

I�m going to go out on a limb and say I squarely don�t know. I�d love to sit down with him to gain a greater understanding. Simply setting the barrel deeper into the locking lugs could conceivably cause as many problems as it solves�or at least it seems that way to me. I�ve never tried it because I was taught to install a barrel the right way every time and to end up with a barrel significantly deeper into the lugs than normal would take a whole lot of extra work, so I�ve never ended up there even on accident. I�ve heard of people taking the link slightly over center to create a �moment� about the axis, but again, I don�t know the specifics of how that�s actually done, and how well it works. That�s an area where I just have never gone.

When Jack is done the results are outstanding, he definitely knows what he is doing

[Linked Image]

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Mark do you have a custom barrel in your delta elite? Some say not to shoot their ammo in the delta due to the rampless barrel?

Yes sir, I do. It is a custom fitted - by Jack Huntington of JRH custom guns - Storm Lake barrel.

It and the pistol overall are FAR more accurate and capable than I am as a pistol shooter. I feel like a Jr. High violin student holding a Stratovarious Violin!

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

The problem is that many 1911's leave the factory with poor barrel slide lock up

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I understand that when Smith and Wesson went to make their 1006/1076 guns, they increased the weight of the slide. The recoil spring is very stiff as well.
To my knowledge, the 1006/1076 guns have had no problems with any reasonable 10mm ammo. E

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Which is probably why Colt added a full length solid rib to the slide of my Delta Elite.

And therein lies the main reason you gun is more manageable; all the rest is secondary though fooling with the barrel lug engagement could be considered directionally right, but, IMO they are relatively small factors. (I have been around a lot of 1911 'smiths & armorers & none of them have ever mentioned needing to do it)

Why do you think that most really successful bullseye (softball) shooters put ribs on their 1911's for the 45 class?

To slow down the slide, allow the use of very soft springs & VERY mild loads, as in 3.2 gr of BE with a 185-200 gr bullet.............and the guns will function just fine.

MM

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
here's the smiley case I mentioned. The load that did it ran a 155 at 1425 fps...

[Linked Image]

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

And therein lies the main reason you gun is more manageable; all the rest is secondary though fooling with the barrel lug engagement could be considered directionally right, but, IMO they are relatively small factors. (I have been around a lot of 1911 'smiths & armorers & none of them have ever mentioned needing to do it)

Why do you think that most really successful bullseye (softball) shooters put ribs on their 1911's for the 45 class?

To slow down the slide, allow the use of very soft springs & VERY mild loads, as in 3.2 gr of BE with a 185-200 gr bullet.............and the guns will function just fine.

MM

You are right many do not, but you do not need a spring as heavy you do when you do not.
Mark has a 20 pound spring now which is lighter than the double spring set up that Colt used, yet he is not throwing brass 30" as he was before and the gun is not battering itself as bad either

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Mark, does your Delta look like this one? (Minus the adj sights and Gold Cup trigger)

[Linked Image]

if so that is the flat top slide used on the "enhanced" Gov't models, including the Deltas.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

MM

You are right many do not, but you do not need a spring as heavy you do when you do not.
Mark has a 20 pound spring now which is lighter than the double spring set up that Colt used, yet he is not throwing brass 30" as he was before and the gun is not battering itself as bad either

Right.........in his case, the heavier slide (with the rib) slows down the slide velocity & inertia, thus allowing him to use a lighter spring; whatever value whatever was done with the barrel lugs is just additive to that effect.

MM

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

By lengthening the lockup time pressure is lower when it unlocks thus slowing the slide velocity. I do not have a heavier slide on my 45 Super and I use an 18.5 pound spring

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd surely like to examine your gun & make some measurements..........too bad we are so far apart.

What bullet weight & what velocity are your 45 Super loads?

MM

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

230's at 1130 FPS and 255 hard cast at 1090 FPS

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwp475

230's at 1130 FPS and 255 hard cast at 1090 FPS

Do you have load data for Super 255 cast bullets? I have a 625 JM that I'd like to try something along those lines in..... IIRC Buffalo Bore offers a stout .45 super load but the meta plate had to be kind of small to function in an auto pistol.... I have a mold that cast a wide flat nose at that weight...

PM inbound

Please don't feed the trolls!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wonder if it had been called a 10X25 would made a difference or maybe a 40 by 25 would have made it more attractive. Just speculating on what makes people take somethings and pass on other things. Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I had not thought of that one, but it is a good one! 10x25.... I LIKE it! Even though it does not have magnum in the name, and that would fit. How about 10x25 Magnum?

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
If they renamed it the .40 Smith and Wesson Magnum it would be all the rage for two years.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think the 10mm would have sold much better IF...

After reading 155 replies, I can honestly say that the answer is that had all the 10's been 45's they would have sold much better. grin grin

MM

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
16 pages of banter......the 10 can't be all bad.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
It is not bad, it's just not great.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by high_country_
16 pages of banter......the 10 can't be all bad.

10 pages? Well, no matter what your settings are, it ain't no 223AI.... wink

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 308ld, 2500HD, 5 invisible), 1,486 guests, and 817 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,650
Posts18,512,635
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.