Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Awesome golf cart......

GB1

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
elkhunternm,you have some very sharp rifles there..Love wood stocks..Plastic is not my thing..but wood wow!!!

Molon Labe
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Well Bigbuck that all depends. The TKO index was developed as a way to measure rounds for African hunting. It was developed by John Taylor. We need momentum and energy for penetration. The TKO is just a score derived by the formula. The higher the number the better the cartridge is supposed to be in terms of stopping power.
It is generic and I would guess was developed with solid bullets in mind. That is why I used the same type of bullet in my example. There are several other formulas used and I have always felt this one leaned more to dangerous game hunting where solids were used as when I did a 45-70 load against a .300 Mag load the 45-70 came out on top by a great margin. It gives more credit to weight than speed. Truthfully my point was we really don't need numbers to compare two cartridges that are well known as Varmint/Deer cartridges. The question for those two rounds are more what bullets should be used if using for deer as opposed to varmints. Or pro's and con's of each. Shooting critter's is not science and we don't need to quote numbers on every thing to make ourselves look smarter than the next guy.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by EddyBo
While your generating NUMBERS run us some with the 105 A-max and some 115 D-Tacs. Your last comparisons is like comparing being clubbed in the head with a baseball bat versus a claw hammer because I would not slum either for longrange.

Eddybo, I am sure you are smart enough to know that the formula I used is to compare apples to apples and does not take bullet type into consideration. As for Point Blank Range, again I kept it for the loads quoted for the TKO example.

I compared the calibers in question on an equal field. Plain and simple. Anything past that feel free to run numbers to prove the point you want to make. Like I said in my opinion the type bullet used is more the question needed to be asked opposed to what of the two calibers to choose.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
elkhunternm,you have some very sharp rifles there..Love wood stocks..Plastic is not my thing..but wood wow!!!
Thanks!

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WSM_Shooter
While your generating NUMBERS run us some with the 105 A-max and some 115 D-Tacs. Your last comparisons is like comparing being clubbed in the head with a baseball bat versus a claw hammer because I would not slum either for longrange.

Eddybo, I am sure you are smart enough to know that the formula I used is to compare apples to apples and does not take bullet type into consideration. As for Point Blank Range, again I kept it for the loads quoted for the TKO example.

I compared the calibers in question on an equal field. Plain and simple. Anything past that feel free to run numbers to prove the point you want to make. Like I said in my opinion the type bullet used is more the question needed to be asked opposed to what of the two calibers to choose.

Read the BOLD type above, bullets are way more important than headstamps. Your analysis has no relation to real life if you do not consider bullets it is nothing more than mental masturbation.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I always heard it was half mental, half technique??

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That depends on which brain hemisphere and hand used.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Right. I mean yes, you are correct.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What if you did the "Stranger"?

IC B3

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W

Read the BOLD type above, bullets are way more important than headstamps. Your analysis has no relation to real life if you do not consider bullets it is nothing more than mental masturbation.

I will not disagree and I also said that should have been the question not what caliber. Thus my argument that we don't need numbers to prove anything here. Only thing numbers will show you is bullet drop or wind drift and retained energy. We also don't need to take the rifle out to 1000 yards to prove anything. The OP asked for a deer/lope rifle. He did not ask for a specialized long range rig. This pizzing match with me started with Boxer spouting off about showing numbers when I gave a personal statement I had no experience with either the .243 or 25-06 but I would choose a .260 if I were to have only one rifle for said game. My opinion, and had the OP asked why or any other person in a civilized manner I would be glad to say why. You keep sticking up for that Baffoon from THE MILFORD when he has contributed nothing to this topic at all. My post of numbers means nothing and I stated that! Same if I had used Hatcher's formula. They are mathematical formulas and only use fixed numbers to derive another number. All they do is say a whole lot of nothing just like Boxer does only without swearing and talking down to everyone.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Tanner
What if you did the "Stranger"?

One does not simply "do" the STRANGER. One might perform "a" STRANGER upon his or her self. But if you "did the stranger", you probably had sex with a homeless crack hoo-ah behind the dumpster out back. It complicated, yes, but there are protocols for these things. Bottom line- Do not do the stranger.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't wanna hear about 'stranger'. I want details on wsm's golf cart.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by huntsman22

LOL well it was donated to the club so guys didn't have to walk out to the 300 yard backstop. With backstops every 50 yards from 100 out to 300 guys get tired of waiting for folks to post or pull targets. It has seen better days for sure. We have a couple guys who are handy that manage to keep it running. All I know is it uses mixed gas and sometimes you need to give it a little push to help get it started when it has not run awhile.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I will not disagree and I also said that should have been the question not what caliber. Thus my argument that we don't need numbers to prove anything here. Only thing numbers will show you is bullet drop or wind drift and retained energy. We also don't need to take the rifle out to 1000 yards to prove anything. The OP asked for a deer/lope rifle. He did not ask for a specialized long range rig. This pizzing match with me started with Boxer spouting off about showing numbers when I gave a personal statement I had no experience with either the .243 or 25-06 but I would choose a .260 if I were to have only one rifle for said game. My opinion, and had the OP asked why or any other person in a civilized manner I would be glad to say why. You keep sticking up for that Baffoon from THE MILFORD when he has contributed nothing to this topic at all. My post of numbers means nothing and I stated that! Same if I had used Hatcher's formula. They are mathematical formulas and only use fixed numbers to derive another number. All they do is say a whole lot of nothing just like Boxer does only without swearing and talking down to everyone.

You sure read a lot into things and are seemingly pretty sensitive, maybe the internet is not for you. I have taken up for no one, nor have I seen anyone needing defended. I just happen to agree that the 243 is the best choice when you consider bullets available. Go run yourself some numbers with the 115 DTAC and the 105 A-max and the 105 108 line of bergers.

There is not enough difference between the two at short range unless you consider a short action rifle to be an advantage. At long range the 243 has the advantage, but it is based solely on bullet availability. If there were some good .257 wind buckers out there I would be on the other fence. If your going to compare such things compare them at a point where those things make a difference, at the muzzle or at the 100 yard line, the small differences are negligible, and no one can say either is not just as capable of killing stuff.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

LOL well it was donated to the club so guys didn't have to walk out to the 300 yard backstop. With backstops every 50 yards from 100 out to 300 guys get tired of waiting for folks to post or pull targets. It has seen better days for sure. We have a couple guys who are handy that manage to keep it running. All I know is it uses mixed gas and sometimes you need to give it a little push to help get it started when it has not run awhile.
I have found that jogging to targets is a much easier way of doing things.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Back in the day I would have agreed with you. I now ride the cart, but my targets are a little further away. smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
and on flatter ground than tuners....

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W

You sure read a lot into things and are seemingly pretty sensitive, maybe the internet is not for you. I have taken up for no one, nor have I seen anyone needing defended. I just happen to agree that the 243 is the best choice when you consider bullets available. Go run yourself some numbers with the 115 DTAC and the 105 A-max and the 105 108 line of bergers.

There is not enough difference between the two at short range unless you consider a short action rifle to be an advantage. At long range the 243 has the advantage, but it is based solely on bullet availability. If there were some good .257 wind buckers out there I would be on the other fence. If your going to compare such things compare them at a point where those things make a difference, at the muzzle or at the 100 yard line, the small differences are negligible, and no one can say either is not just as capable of killing stuff.

Eddy I need not run any numbers as I don't care either way. Personally I choose neither the .243 or the 25-06 for deer and I do not hunt antelope. My .243 is for varmints. My only 25 caliber is a .257AI I built to be a heavy varmint/possible deer rifle. Big mistake, live and learn. It has a 26 inch varmint barrel and 3 inch wide clairo walnut stock. It was my first small bore and I screwed up royally. But that is another story not needed to be brought into this thread.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Back in the day I would have agreed with you. I now ride the cart, but my targets are a little further away. smile
I've found it to be a little quicker to use the truck when going from 600 and out laugh

Page 36 of 229 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 228 229

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

133 members (160user, 35, 44mc, 7887mm08, 7x57Hunter, 10 invisible), 1,496 guests, and 937 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,759
Posts18,476,425
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.