boatboy Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Just checking any thoughts on these?
Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
GB1

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Never fired one. The CETME round is dimensionally the same as the .308/7.62 however power wise it was a different animal. 144gr bullet at 2200-2300fps.

I bought some of that ammo from Sportsman Guide years ago. Power wise, about like a 30-30.

Last edited by websterparish47; 03/27/13.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Street guidance was to avoid the Century Arms copies built on surplus parts - new de-mils and a new receiver - as they had a distinct reputation for feeding and reiability problems.

The few that I handled were a definate mix-master of parts, and just didn't have a fit/finish/functional feel. From guys I knew shooting them, most sold them after a year or two.

The PTR-series seem to be better investment for the design and the quality.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There is nothing wrong with a CETME< I would just be careful in that in buying one I would want the ability to retrun if it doesn not shoot right - Century is known for being a real 'mix-master' where part are concerned, and thier build integrity is not always the best.

I for many years own an HK91 and have shot two CETMES, one pretty extensively, and they did the trick. The have surprising recoil for such a big gun, I will tell you that! Also, the Cetme sights are set for the 7.62x51 Cetme loading, so standard 7.62x51 ball will shoot correspondingly higher

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Technically, wouldn't the HK be a clone of the CETME?

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by UPhiker
No. Heckler and Kock first made the G-3, which was the West German Army's standard issue rifle back in the day. The HK91 was its commercial version. The HK91 may have even come first, for all I know. The CETME was the Spanish Army's version of the G-3, IIRC. So the CETME is more of a clone of the G-3.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
No. Heckler and Kock first made the G-3, which was the West German Army's standard issue rifle back in the day. The HK91 was its commercial version. The HK91 may have even come first, for all I know. The CETME was the Spanish Army's version of the G-3, IIRC. So the CETME is more of a clone of the G-3.
Sorry, the CETME came before the G3.

T
tri Offline
T
[Linked Image]
I only trust my original HK G3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Yup. CETME was first. The Modelo C, which is what the semi-auto versions for sale now are built from, is a 7.62 NATO rifle.

I had one of the Century Arms. It was fine as far as bolt gap went, but the rear sight was welded on crooked, so I had a HK G3 sight welded on instead.

All in all, it was a good battle rifle.

Last edited by 68injunhed; 03/31/13.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm neither being a smartasss nor saying you're wrong. Heckler and Koch, a German firm, built rifles for Spain before they did Germany?

IC B3

T
tri Offline
T
Germany was not allowed to have an army so they couldn't build one for them.All the arm factories were forbidden to make any more arms.The German technicians fled to Spain where Franco a Pro Nazi general had the power. It was invented by the Germans, made in Spain and NOT meant for Germany.They bought the Belgian Fall : G1 but the Belgian factory FN= Browning was very anti German after the horrors that they committed in our country.So they got,not a patent.Later the Bundeswehr then went for the G3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by tri
Germany was not allowed to have an army so they couldn't build one for them.All the arm factories were forbidden to make any more arms.The German technicians fled to Spain where Franco a Pro Nazi general had the power. It was invented by the Germans, made in Spain and NOT meant for Germany.They bought the Belgian Fall : G1 but the Belgian factory FN= Browning was very anti German after the horrors that they committed in our country.So they got,not a patent.Later the Bundeswehr then went for the G3
Thanks for the info. If I ever knew it, I'd forgotten it. Very pertinent. Thanks again.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I had a CETME made by Century a few years ago. Great rifle, decently accurate, ran like a top. Problem was it dented the hell out of brass which made them tough to reload. If you think you can get an honest report of good function and accuracy, they're a good rifle.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by slm9s
I had a CETME made by Century a few years ago. Great rifle, decently accurate, ran like a top. Problem was it dented the hell out of brass which made them tough to reload. If you think you can get an honest report of good function and accuracy, they're a good rifle.

Always hated that part. Not to mention that they have a tendency to launch brass into low earth orbit.

B
boatboy Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by 68injunhed
Originally Posted by slm9s

Always hated that part. Not to mention that they have a tendency to launch brass into low earth orbit.

Local shop has one and my personal shopped there owns one and also said the same about brass he said think of it as a AK shoot cheap steel 7.62 and just have cheap fun
Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

504 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 17Fan, 160user, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 63 invisible), 2,447 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,320
Posts18,487,379
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.