Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I'm thinking about buying a new Toyota vehicle this year. Whatever I buy I'll probably keep for at least eight or ten years, or maybe more.

Since gas prices will probably continue to climb in the future, I want something that will be fuel efficient. I'm thinking about purchasing a Camry, Camry Hybrid or Prius.

I currently have a 2000 Toyota Tundra pickup that I purchased new. I'll keep it for hunting and hauling. In thirteen years it's been a very reliable truck. Other than routine maintenance items, I've only had to replace an oxygen sensor a few years ago. It currently has a little over 98,000 miles.

Right now I'm leaning toward a Camry Hybrid. Does anyone have one? Comments, good or bad?

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
If it has Camry tacked onto it then it will be reliable to the point of not even thinking about it.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you just want a car that's one thing. Buying a car to save on gas just don't add up money wise.

That said, my wife loves her camery

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
I do dealer transfers and deliveries for the local Toyota dealership and have driven all the vehicles you mentioned, they all are good choices. The Prius has a bad hesitation from a dead stop waiting for the gas engine to engage before you get any kind of decent acceleration.

There is a war on America and America is losing
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Never owned the Camry or Prius, but I can speak highly of the Corolla. I drove one for several years with a daily 180 mile round trip commute. Nothing but gas, oil, and tires. It's still my commuter but only gets about 60 miles per day now. I don't know how many miles are on it now.....

Have a Tundra and Sienna as well. They've all been good. It's hard for me to look at anything other than a Toyota for a driver...

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If that Tundra is a 4x4, shoot me a pm. I may be interested.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I would go for a non hybrid camry or corolla. have owned both and are bullet proof. I do not think the hybrids are worth it IMO

Also have a Toyota Tacoma now.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I have a Camry Hybrid. Love it. Absolutely love it. Great car. I have gotten 47 miles to the gallon if I did my part on long highway drives.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CherokeeMike
I'm thinking about buying a new Toyota vehicle this year. Whatever I buy I'll probably keep for at least eight or ten years, or maybe more.

Since gas prices will probably continue to climb in the future, I want something that will be fuel efficient. I'm thinking about purchasing a Camry, Camry Hybrid or Prius.

I currently have a 2000 Toyota Tundra pickup that I purchased new. I'll keep it for hunting and hauling. In thirteen years it's been a very reliable truck. Other than routine maintenance items, I've only had to replace an oxygen sensor a few years ago. It currently has a little over 98,000 miles.

Right now I'm leaning toward a Camry Hybrid. Does anyone have one? Comments, good or bad?

Had a 1990 Toyota Camry for 14 years and 180K miles.
Sorry I sold it. The car was still running strong.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Hybrids are a losing proposition mathematically. They cost too much up front. I think if you are looking for a good car, with good mileage, get the Corolla. Camrys are larger and less efficient, the Corolla is actually a normal sized car these days.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
My 94 Camry has a 4 cylinder in it... I still get 30 to 32 mpg with it, motor has never been overhauled, alternator is original..
as is tranny... most major thing done to it, I have had to replace the radiator at 250K... it currently has 304K on it...

the fmaily has two other Camrys, a 93 with a 6 cylinder and an 04 with the V 6 also... the 93 has 163K on it and the 04 has 95K on it...

then there is my old 88 4Runner...that has 520K on it...

definitely got my nickles worth out of each of these Toyotas that I have had....but over the years, I have also had a couple of Hondas that have served the family just as well also...

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
The hybrid Camry runs 4 or 5 grand more up front than the regular one. At 4 bucks a gallon, which is going to seem cheap in the future, the break even is around 80-100K miles.

Buying a new car just to save money on gas never adds up but if you're buying a new car either way then the hybrid is a no brainer.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I've driven & worked on almost every car you can imagine over the past many, many years. That being said, the Camry is a very reliable model. It is basically a slightly scaled down version of the Lexus ES model with very similar performance standards.

I do not recommend the hybrid models of any manufacturer. Far from perfected yet as all of 'em basically rushed in to jump on the bandwagon of the "green" craze imho. Not to mention the batteries only are scheduled to maintain a 10 yr life expectancy. Go change the batteries at that time and you may as well junk the vehicle, also imho.

-Ken

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Camry or a Corolla would serve you well. The Camry is slightly larger and will get a few mpg less than the Corolla but they are both great cars that will run forever. For what its worth we bought the wife a Camry last year, its a 2012. We made a road trip to Utah from Texas during X-Mas and with me running between 70-80 mph the whole way there and back , we averaged 32 mpg for the whole 2000 mile trip.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The ten year battery life is a huge downside. What would a hybrid be worth when it's eight or ten years old knowing that battery replacement is ridiculously expensive?

If you sold it when it's five or six years I don't think it would be as much of a concern.

If it took 80k or 100k to break even on initial added expense that's roughly six years. You could drive it for an additional four years at a savings but then what? You'd be at the end of it's serviceable life.

^^^ Those are just my ramblings but they're worthy of consideration.

I'd buy something with a gas engine if I was planning on keeping it long term. Toyotas are good for 200k +++

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Or try a Honda.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

John Wayne
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Buy used with low mileage and let the original owner take the depreciation. My service advisor said he has never replaced a battery in a Toyota Hybrid yet. YMMV.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by fish head
The ten year battery life is a huge downside. What would a hybrid be worth when it's eight or ten years old knowing that battery replacement is ridiculously expensive?

If you sold it when it's five or six years I don't think it would be as much of a concern.

If it took 80k or 100k to break even on initial added expense that's roughly six years. You could drive it for an additional four years at a savings but then what? You'd be at the end of it's serviceable life.

^^^ Those are just my ramblings but they're worthy of consideration.

I'd buy something with a gas engine if I was planning on keeping it long term. Toyotas are good for 200k +++

Battery life is a non issue. Toyota warranties them for a minimum of 8 years. Failures in the Camry Hybrid and Prius have been exceedingly rare. In the event something does happen to the battery,single cells can be replaced so automatically assuming the entire battery needs to be replaced is incorrect.

My wife drives a 2011 Camry Hybrid. As far as the car itself, like most Toyotas its a boring car with no soul.The minimum age to drive a Camry ought to be about 70. wink

Its approaching 40K miles and has a lifetime average of about 35mpg. Thats pretty impressive IMO, considering my wifes aggressive driving style. If I drove it daily,I could probably tickle 40mpg.

A hybrid really shines in city traffic. Highway mileage on a hybrid really isn't much different than its gas counterpart.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I came close to buying one here in Oz as they were among the lower priced full size cars. Cars are darn expensive here but the hybrid Camry's were not perhaps due to subsidies, I have no idea. In the end I chose differently but really never thought I would ever consider a hybrid. Hell I work for a major oil co. The Camry hybrid's are well thought of here it seems.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mossy
A hybrid really shines in city traffic. Highway mileage on a hybrid really isn't much different than its gas counterpart.

Absolutely, unless you live in a urban metro area and spend a lot of time in bumper to bumper traffic, the Hybrid is an expense you wont recoupe and a feature you will not benefit from.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (160user, 1234, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 54 invisible), 2,180 guests, and 1,116 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,554
Posts18,531,525
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.