Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
I spotted a very clean rem 788 in 243 with a cheap 3x9 scope on it at a web retailer. Shipping and transfer will push the price up to $425 total. I'm debating between this and a ruger american in 243.

Back story: My first deer rifle was a 788 carbine in 308 that I sold one year later to get a tang safety ruger 3006. The ruger was lighter and I like the tang safety, however I have always kept my eye out for a longer barrel 788 just 'cuz.

788's had a great accuracy reputation and also bolt handle issues. The american has ergonomics I like and many new features, but the plastic stock leaves me cold. I figure the new gun taxes offset the shipping on the 788 so its a near push.

Let the debate start shooters! What should I buy and why?

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
HR IC

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
No contest. 788.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
No contest. 788.

+1000

Couldn't agree more strongly.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As to the why portion of your question, the 788 is a real rifle with a reputation for accuracy all out of proportion to it's price. The American is just another of the recent spate of throwaway commodity rifles.

I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Never liked 788's back in the day, tho I have never known of one that wasn't accurate. Believe thay had some notoriety due to terrific locktimes. They were not pretty guns compared to lots of other stuff in the market like mod 70 featherweights, Colt Sauers & certain of the 700's.
The market today seems to be full of ugly guns, maybe that's why the 788 is gettin more respect. Still not a handsome gun, to my eye.
However, this new stuff is loaded with function, and Ruger is better than ever. Given the choice offered, I would go Ruger.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by nsaqam
As to the why portion of your question, the 788 is a real rifle with a reputation for accuracy all out of proportion to it's price. The American is just another of the recent spate of throwaway commodity rifles.

When the M788 cost around 100 bucks, "a reputation for accuracy all out of proportion to it's price" was more true. Now, it commonly takes 400 +/- 50 bucks to buy a M788 in decent condition so it is now less true IMO.

I have both a M788 and a American. I shoot the M788 at the range and it is easy to stack bullets. However, I find the weight and balance less than desirable for a walking around field piece. I take the American hunting because the ergos are far superior and accuracy/precision is par with the M788. The American is built pretty stout with mechanical 'innovations' borrowed from X-Bolt, Tikka T3, Anschutz 1770/1780 as well as one all it's own.

The M788 could be considered as the progenitor of the American in several ways and levels.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
not a Remington fan, but the 788 is more rifle for the money. Ever think a Ruger American will go up in value?

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by blairvt
not a Remington fan, but the 788 is more rifle for the money. Ever think a Ruger American will go up in value?

Probably not. But I also think that the M788 has leveled out at 400 +/- 50 bucks. So if buying now, it is a wash.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
788 hands dowmn

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by carbon12

I have both a M788 and a American. I shoot the M788 at the range and it is easy to stack bullets. However, I find the weight and balance less than desirable for a walking around field piece. I take the American hunting because the ergos are far superior and accuracy/precision is par with the M788. The American is built pretty stout with mechanical 'innovations' borrowed from X-Bolt, Tikka T3, Anschutz 1770/1780 as well as one all it's own.

The M788 could be considered as the progenitor of the American in several ways and levels.

I believe you forgot the originator of nearly all of the American's "features", the Savage 110. Nasty but cheap barrel nut, silly blade through the trigger shoe, multiple piece bolt held together by pins, and the wedge type bedding system among others.

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by nsaqam
Originally Posted by carbon12

I believe you forgot the originator of nearly all of the American's "features", the Savage 110. Nasty but cheap barrel nut, silly blade through the trigger shoe, multiple piece bolt held together by pins, and the wedge type bedding system among others.

How could I neglect to mention Nicholas Brewer's ingenious barrel nut? Shame on me.

Gaston Glock gets the credit for the trigger safety regardless of any derivatives that would attempt to claim primacy.

Unlike the Savage 110, the American bolt is a full diameter, two piece (bolt handle and bolt body) three lug design. No pin is holding the bolt head to the bolt body.

With regard to wedge bedding: the American does incorporate a type of wedge, mechanistically, speaking. The Ruger wedge is the cylindrical receiver. When bolted between two V blocks (molded into the stock) matched to V notches machined into the receiver, it makes for a consistent interface between receiver and stock. The wedge type bedding of the Savage AccuStock design is a separate, movable wedge that clamps a washer style recoil lug. Both the Savage and Ruger systems are attempts to eliminate the need for higher cost epoxy style bedding. Both systems seem to work as claimed but of two very different designs.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The 788's were Remington's "American" 30 years or more ago, a cheap to produce rifle. They did have a well deserved reputation for accuracy (I've had 4 of them - .223, .22-250, 6mm and .44 Mag.) but they have achieved a cult status and prices reflect that. Triggers were okay, not great and a decent smith can work on them. The floorplate and trigger guard are stamped sheet metal. They are heavy.

Everything people say is bad about the American - mostly what a cheap throwaway rifle it is - was said about the 788 when it came out. Folks predicted TEOTWAWKI due to the cheapening quality of USA produced firearms.

Can't speak to the American as I've only looked at one in a store, but from what I can gather folks say the same things about it. Inexpensive but accurate.

One thing to consider is age. The .243 eats throats. I know this for a fact, it eats them voraciously. The youngest 788 is going to be at least 30 years old. There could be a lot of rounds down that tube. Remington will NOT rebarrel it for you, if the throat is toast you're going to spend 3/4 of the rifle's cost at least to have it rebarreled and that's with an ER Shaw barrel or something of that order. You'd spend 100% of the cost to get a really nice barrel, minimum. Then you'd be into it for $800 to $900 and no one else will want it (certainly not at that price) because it has a custom barrel.

I don't dislike the 788, it was a successful and accurate design, but I don't blindly worship them either. I think their cult status has elevated prices beyond their real "worth" although the price for this one with a scope is actually pretty reasonable - given today's market. Since they do have that cult status you could probably get your money out of it at least if you decided not to keep it.

Just throwing out things to consider.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I thought that replacement magazine costs might be very different but a quick Gunbroker check shows American mags at $29.99, and 788 mags from $28.50-$75. No advantage for either one.

I'd get a 788 for me, as they are at least semi-lefthanded but Ruger has been the most friendly to the sinister among us. We'll see if the American is ever offered that way.

Last edited by Pointbock; 04/18/13.

Support your local brewer.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
i would say go for the 788 if you can find parts for it... good luck with it! Mel

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I have 2 788's a 22-250 and a 6mm Rem. Yep, theyre ugly, but they shoot, the 6 is my coyote rifle. I would take the 788 everytime

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
The 788's were Remington's "American" 30 years or more ago, a cheap to produce rifle. They did have a well deserved reputation for accuracy (I've had 4 of them - .223, .22-250, 6mm and .44 Mag.) but they have achieved a cult status and prices reflect that. Triggers were okay, not great and a decent smith can work on them. The floorplate and trigger guard are stamped sheet metal. They are heavy.

Everything people say is bad about the American - mostly what a cheap throwaway rifle it is - was said about the 788 when it came out. Folks predicted TEOTWAWKI due to the cheapening quality of USA produced firearms.

Can't speak to the American as I've only looked at one in a store, but from what I can gather folks say the same things about it. Inexpensive but accurate.

One thing to consider is age. The .243 eats throats. I know this for a fact, it eats them voraciously. The youngest 788 is going to be at least 30 years old. There could be a lot of rounds down that tube. Remington will NOT rebarrel it for you, if the throat is toast you're going to spend 3/4 of the rifle's cost at least to have it rebarreled and that's with an ER Shaw barrel or something of that order. You'd spend 100% of the cost to get a really nice barrel, minimum. Then you'd be into it for $800 to $900 and no one else will want it (certainly not at that price) because it has a custom barrel.

I don't dislike the 788, it was a successful and accurate design, but I don't blindly worship them either. I think their cult status has elevated prices beyond their real "worth" although the price for this one with a scope is actually pretty reasonable - given today's market. Since they do have that cult status you could probably get your money out of it at least if you decided not to keep it.

Just throwing out things to consider.

Thanks for pointing out the throat issue because I've never explored that caliber before.

Hmmm...

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I'd go 788....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For me it's kind of like that old car commercial where the guy says something like, if I didn't like them, why would I have had so many?
223, 22-250, LH6mm, 7-08, 308
Loved shooting everyone of them but am down to just one, the 7-08.
Everyone has to have had at least one 788. Go for it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My wife just bought her first ever rifle of any kind or caliber. It is a like new condition Model 788 in 223. I have no doubts but that it will shoot wonderfully for her. I donated a Weaver steel tube USA made accu trac (Micro trac?) 3-9 scope to her rifle and it is going to be a great rifle for her to learn riflery upon.

788 easily for me. Wood stock VS plastic is a big mover for me. Homely Birch is still prettier and warmer than the nicest black plastic by a long ways. And to me, that matters.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
um I see a distinct pattern here

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

117 members (338reddog, 79S, 2ndwind, 257_X_50, 35WhelenNut, 300_savage, 19 invisible), 1,611 guests, and 914 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,286
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.