Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I met Allison when she was 12 and I was 30, not too long before Eileen and I got married, when she'd made a pile of money off a lemonade stand and invested it in stock that did real well. I called her the Lemonade Queen, though she may not remember that.

She eventually became a hot-shot in promoting Montana for movie-making, and Eileen and I see her every couple of years, and always have a great time. She's a lot of fun, and smart as hell--so smart no guy has ever been able to catch her. If I were lot younger and single, she would be right up there on my list.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 300_savage
� Where I work, one of the faculty is pretty proud of his PhD. One time I mentioned mine...he looked confused...and I went to the pickup and got my clamshell posthole diggers out. He wasn't impressed.

I used to be the captain of the university fencing team � on our way to the Olympics � when some *&^%$#@! stole our post-hole-diggers.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Only Ken H could come up with that --

As it was explained to me many years ago, "I feel sorry for those who believe that ballistics is an exact science. They just don't understand the problems."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A fellow in our area occasionally runs a clever ad in the classifieds:

FOR SALE: One truckload of post-holes. All or part. New, unused. Will deliver. Call for price. 555-xxxx.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by nifty-two-fifty
A fellow in our area occasionally runs a clever ad in the classifieds:

FOR SALE: One truckload of post-holes. All or part. New, unused. Will deliver. Call for price. 555-xxxx.

Years ago, some wag advertised "pulled-up" wells that he'd chopped-up into post holes.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This farm labor stuff reminds me of how I got my reloading press. Buttreys in Glendive had an ad in the paper...Rock Chuckler combo for 54.95. I couldn't quite afford it at 18, but was going into town with the folks, and was trying to figure out a way to get one. Neighbor flagged us down...he and his brother had the railroad tie contract for the Glendive-Brockway route, and were picking up ties with the farmhand and loading them in a grain truck. Needed another hand and offered me $50 if I'd help. I told dad what I wanted, and went to work! Still think of that when I reload.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I used to buck small roundbales for 3 cents a bale, back in the early '70s. Got fed lunch, though, so it wasn't too bad. Danged old timothy hay, baled tight, and a hayloft that got plenty hot wasn't much fun, though swimming in the pond between wagonloads took the edge off a bit. That old John Deere G would just putter along at the exact right speed so we could wrassle the bales onto the wagon.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
To answer the question,they do not want to break their trigger finger. smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Or their "recoil shoulder."

Plus, why would they, if they can get paid for handloading, shooting and hunting?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
And ALL those "free" guns. laugh

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Wtih emphasis on the quotation marks around FREE!

John Steinbeck
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Yep laugh Bad news MD,I don't have any questions for you today. grin

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by 300_savage
the large, family sized bag of chips was supposed to last at least two or three days....

That's such bullshit. No way a big family sized bag of chips could last 2 days!

Damned capitalists squeezing the poor working man!

"This duty fell upon me and was the worst job I ever had in my life.
I have known men I would rather shoot than the worst of dogs."

Frank Wild
Second in Command
Endurance 1914-1916
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
And ALL those "free" guns. laugh
Are gunwriters free guns in any way related to our own "Free Classifieds"? They've cost me a couple grand over the years. whistle

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
That's why I do not look in the "free classifieds." grin

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Perhaps the better question is, "Why don't manual laborers do gun writting?"

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Some do--but if they become good enough writers they eventually quit manual labor.

My old friend Bill McRae was an ironworker who came to Montana during the Cold War to work on the Minuteman missile silos. He started taking wildlife photos, partly because he ended up fairly close to Glacier National Park, and eventually started selling some to magazines. After a little while he was encouraged by at least one magazine editor to write a hunting story to go with his photos. He did, and after some years quit ironworking and became a full-time wildlife/hunting/gun/optics photographer and writer. He's mostly retired now, but still does an article now and then. The last one I saw was on optics and appeared in American Rifleman a few months ago.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Shrap, no "gun writer" here and maybe because, DID do manual labor during college, '67-'70. Convinced me to stay in school too. Worked bridge and culvert construction here in NW Iowa.

Sorry to say, the first mallard I killed met it's demise in a small explosion in the process of taking out some old concrete footings next to a stream bed. Actually, not a very efficient way to take ducks but you do what you have to do. And when you are a 19 y/o college student,..you do a little extra. grin

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I do hope that they are socking it away for retirement as they are on their own when the time comes which can come late depending upon what they write about... My best friend growing up is running a pretty good hunting related business but I do worry about him when he turns 70. Scary for me but I am sure they do consider this in "the plans" as they generally are pretty practical folks.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 1eyedmule, 160user, 219DW, 70 invisible), 3,835 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,755
Posts18,535,633
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.