Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Hello - I have some business this summer in Vancouver and am considering where to stay in downtown Vancouver. I have seen hotels in Burnaby that are close to the train station. Is this a good area of town? Looking forward to visiting Canada again!

Thanks

Moe

"Pick out two!"
GB1

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Westin Bayshore and Hotel Vancouver are interesting, but they are not in Burnaby...

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Four Seasons, Bayshore, and one less pricey but very decent one on Burrard St. just beside St.Paul's Hospital, I like this best and they have just superb breakfasts and burgers.

I would never again stay in the old Hotel Vancouver and never eat there. It WAS a fine place, had a super bar, "The Timber Lounge" but that was 30+ years ago.

There are other good ones and some in Burnaby as well, try to stay very close to where your business is, Vancouver, at night is best explored in the daytime.

I will post the Burrard St. one tomorrow.

RVB Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Burnaby is not downtown, but not hard to get to by train.

The Blue Horizon on Robson is pretty good, with reasonable pricing. The rooms are nice, and if you are facing west you get gorgeous views of Van and English Bay etc.

If you go out for a steak, try Hy's.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
For downtown Vancouver, I would and used to stay at the Century Plaza Hotel on Burrard St. beside St. Paul's Hospital. phone 604-687-0575.

This is less costly than some of the others mentioned, and is superior to the Hotel Vancouver, an old dump, IMO, has been for years.

IF, you want the "carriage trade" hotels, I would go with the "Four Seasons", first and then the "Rosedale on Robson", both of which I have worked around and are excellent in every respect. There are several others of about equal quality in the core area and in Burnaby, I would choose the Hilton Vancouver Metrotown, first...I live close to this one and just at the boundary of Vancouver with Burnaby, two separate municipalities.

If, you need more assistance, PM me.

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Thanks for the replies. Lots of research to do.

Moe

"Pick out two!"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just stayed at the Hotel Vancouver last week for 4 nights, great hotel, great rooms, they have gone through some major upgrades lately. It is my favourite Vancouver Hotel, another good one but somewhat more expensive is the Fairmont Waterfront. The Hotel Vancouver is between two sky train stations so you can get out to the east of the city or south to Richmond very easily, also the ferry to North Vancouver is not far. Stanley Park to the Northwest, Chinatown to the east and Robson Street to the west.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I stayed at the Westin Bayshore a couple of months ago. Splendid stay and look forward to going back to experience the view/area when it isn't raining. grin

Van City = cool city.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Depends where you going to be spending your time. If you are going to be in the downtown core there are a number of good hotels downtown that are not that expensive. I have stayed at all of the hotels I've listed a number of times and can recommend them based on positive experience. I have listed them in the order I would use them.

These days I often stay at the Sutton when I have business downtown, central to most things, decent restaurant, service, rooms, etc.
http://www.vancouver.suttonplace.com/savourPromo.html

The Wedgewood is another nice hotel right in the downtown core as well. I often check there first as they have midweek specials when I am downtown for a couple of days. I got a complimentary upgrade to a suite last time I stayed there - that was nice.
http://www.wedgewoodhotel.com/index.php

The Four Seasons is nice but not cheap. I actually prefer the Wedgewood to the Four Seasons.
http://www.fourseasons.com/vancouver/?source=tavancouverblhotel

The Metropolitan is another nice hotel right in the downtown core. I've stayed there a few times. It's a nice place.
http://metropolitan.com/vanc/

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Vancouver is a great city and I always enjoy my time there (for as much as I enjoy cities). Good food makes my wife and I refer to it as the "New York" of the westcoast (meant in a good way)lol.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by SKane
...look forward to going back to experience the view/area when it isn't raining. grin

Van City = cool city.

You've got about a one week window per year.jk wink

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by n007
Just stayed at the Hotel Vancouver last week for 4 nights, great hotel, great rooms, they have gone through some major upgrades lately. It is my favourite Vancouver Hotel, another good one but somewhat more expensive is the Fairmont Waterfront. The Hotel Vancouver is between two sky train stations so you can get out to the east of the city or south to Richmond very easily, also the ferry to North Vancouver is not far. Stanley Park to the Northwest, Chinatown to the east and Robson Street to the west.

The Waterfront is one of my favourites....it's a great place to stay if your business is right downtown.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't waste your time with Burnaby. As mentioned Sutton is good, and really in the downtown core. For a little less pricey consider the Holiday Inn & Suites on the corner of Howe and Helmken Streets or the Chateau Granville on the corner of Granville and Helmken Streets (one block south of the Holiday Inn. My Vancouver office is on the corner of Howe and Helmken - across from the Holiday Inn. This is an excellent location that is walking distance from just about everything (as is the Sutton and Wedgewood, which are only a few blocks away). You can head south (well, southeast) on Helmken for 4 blocks and you are in the heart of Yaletown - excellent reasonably priced restaurants (Glowbal Grill, Hamilton Street Grill, Rodney's Oyster House etc etc etc).

Or head northeast on Granville street and see the "old" main drag of Vancouver, until you hit Robson street, which is 3 blocks from Helmken and Granville. Turn left (northwest) on Robson and you have ~ 1 mile of exploring to do until you hit Denman Street. Just to your right will be Cafe De Paris and to your left is a 12 block walk to English Bay, with it's nice sandy beaches. you will pass by many little cafes and restaurants on Denman.

If you turn right on beach avenue you are a short 3 block walk from beautiful Stanley Park - a 1000 acre park (larger than Central Park) with a fantastic 14 mile seawall. Or, turn left on Davie Street and it is a nice 10 block walk back to Howe Street (you will be 1 block southwest of Helmken).

You can also head southwest on Granville or Howe street for a short (~1mile) walk to Granville Island Public Market, which is right under the Granville Street bridge.

Have fun.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

623 members (160user, 10ring1, 12344mag, 117LBS, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 72 invisible), 2,669 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,739
Posts18,495,048
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.