Print Thread
Hop To
E
EZEARL Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
E
So I'm wanting to order a synthetic LR M98 stock for my Husqvarna 1640. I've been told it will need some alterations in order to work which I feel I can handle. So anyone know which low priced one($100 or so)would be best to get?

GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
I have done several into Choate M98 stocks - very light weight and reasonably priced.

[Linked Image]

E
EZEARL Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
E

I was considering those two and the Hogue. But since Loosecat has used the Choate with the 1640 action I guess I should lean that way. VERY NICE rifle by the way!

Is it this one?
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/95...-military-barrel-channel-synthetic-black

Last edited by EZEARL; 04/18/13.
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
That's the one - bit of work around the tang where the safety sits and a bit of bedding around the front ring. Also several spots where a dab of devon putty - around where you cut the bolt notch for example - and your good to go. I also file down the side walls where the action sits to give it a clean lines through to the front of the receiver ring.

That other stock looks interesting though as you could use the factory bottom metal with a slight bit of fitting. However, the Choate is very light so fits with the 1640. I will pop a couple of closer images up later on to give you a closer look at the inletting.

IC B2

E
EZEARL Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
E

Pics would be APPRECIATED.

Is the trigger guard removable? Also I read where it seems it could be "fragile"?

My Husqvarna(S&W)barrel resembles a M70 FWT in contour. And although I'll be replacing the barrel at some point I was wondering how a sporter weight bbl fits. I see the stock is for a military barrel contour.

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Please keep in mind its a beater stock so I just threw it together but its been on there for a few years now and shoots just fine. The barrel channel is advertised as for military but there are no steps so a few minutes with a file and should be good to go.

[Linked Image]

The tang is deeper on a 1640 than a M98 so you need to drill out the rear action screw hole and bed it. You can also see on the right hand side where the bolt release for M98 has been filled then a notch cut for the 1600 bolt release.

[Linked Image]

It needs to be sanded/filed down quite a bit around the rear tang to fit the different contour and side safety. Also need a little bit of epoxy around the bolt notch. I used putty for all these bits knead it till it fits then sand it off.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Trigger guard is one piece plastic but I have no concerns about its strength. The only thing I don't like about the stock in general is that they are very square around the edges of the blind bottom. I have just rounded these edges off with a file and painted - hence the horrible brown colour smile. I have also filed/sanded down the stock just leaving grip panels where needed. The whole stock when new is covered in a stippled surface - actually pretty nice. You mention a Houge stock - it would be impossible to convert because of the rubber coating it has. The Choate is no McMillan but it works, its light - this is a 8x57 with a 21.5 inch tube and with a long action Savage 110 plastic magazine follower its 6 pounds on the nose sans scope and rings. Its as good (stiff) as most standard synthetic factory stocks and its a nice lil project that's cheap.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Loosecat; 04/20/13.
E
EZEARL Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
E
Those pics are a big help and much appreciated. I hope to order the stock sometime next week.
Doesn't look to be anything I can't handle. As far as the trigger guard goes I was concerned that it was an intregal part of the stock. Actually it looks fairly sturdy. Once done I'll probably get it dipped(water transfer printing). I had a Winchester factory McMillan done this past summer. Then two of us used it to hunt with this past season. It's pretty tough stuff and I found out it can be touched up if needed.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Interesting info even though I'd be more inclined to save some extra cash and get a $300 High Tech Specialties/Bansner stock.
Especially for a cool action like the 1640.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I know where there are a couple of synthetic stocks for Mark X
rifles for sale. Dont know if they are compatible or not.

IC B3

E
EZEARL Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
E
So for those needing a "low cost stock" for their 1640 the Choate for the M98 works fine with
a few minor alterations. Cell phone photos so.........

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by EZEARL; 10/11/14.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

305 members (10Glocks, 17CalFan, 160user, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 1lesfox, 31 invisible), 1,873 guests, and 1,059 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,872
Posts18,478,770
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.