Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I try to limit my posting of dumb [bleep]. And I know this is probably old. And I've probably asked this a few years ago.

But can I get others opinions of which current K pack to be my best option?

They are crazy expensive. But like Filson or Swarovski, the reputation, craftsmanship, etc are near legendary. I've kicked tires for years....but I've Rat Holed away $20 at a time and I've now accumulated enough for a pack. I've been a forum member there for a decade. And for that decade, the goal was simply the only western Big Game pack...the Long Hunter in whichever capacity.

In the last 2-3 years after bringing Aron on board, the options are now multiple.

Sure the first question is "What are my needs" and "How do I hunt"? I hunt dry side WA and ID. I am a bear fanatic with mulies right up there. I do NOT elk hunt. They just do nothing for me. Probably because Ive never been in on good bulls. My gear is probably an 8 on the scale of ultra light or modern with Ed T being (from what I read, never met him) a 10+ guy.

I've back pack hunted and overnighted a bit but I'm still getting more comfortable. I see myself as a 3-5 mile from trailhead hunter. At this point a 2-5 day back country hunter

I'm a glasser and spotter. I de-bone. Bear heads and hides do take up a good portion of space though. I'm not sure I've ever successfully been a "one trip out" guy on any hunt. I wind up make a trip back up and in.

Overall-does it get any better than a newer Timberline 2 Duplex for me? The ability to take off bag after 1st trip and go back out with a few essentials in a top lid and frame sound like the perfect pack to me.

But is the weight of the pack ANY concern? Would a lighter standard Timberline be just as good and save me 2lbs? Or is it a non issue?

As gay as it is, this is one of those Life Goals or long time coming things. A $700 pack to a Blue Collar guy with mortgage payments and child support is not easy to "buy once, cry once". But I just swung my 1st pair of Swaros in 15X56 Big Eyes. And holy schit....should have done it years ago. It took time and sacrificing a few rifles that no longer brought joy, but it happened. They should be illegal!

Maybe I've finally gotten over that hump of More Stuff is always better. 3 good rifles better than 12 So So rifles. 2 great optics better that 5 mediocre optics.....and one great pack better than 3 Eberlestocks, Crew Cabs, etc

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I chose the regular T1 ans have never looked back. I am a wieght geek... Or at least becoming one. I debated the idea of multiple bags on a frame and liked the idea but like you I'm a Reg Joe with a mortgage and other stuff LOL. And those bags aren't cheap!

I like the flexibility of the T1. Not quite ass stiff as the duplex.

If I have one suggestion it is to get the larger of what ever you decide. I bought the T1 over the t2 because you gain so much room for just a little more weight.

Plus it collapses down to nothing to hunt with all day.

I had an eberlestock and have sold it and never looked back. You are right to say three OK packs or one great pack!

Good luck with your choice and let us know what you decide.

life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who THREATEN it!!!!
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Have you been fortunate enough to put any critters in your pack?

Being able to strap a bear hide HoHo to a frame is another plus for Duplex I think. I've seen several photos of many critters stuffed inside the pack bag of standard Timberlines though... Still a tough decision

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I unfortunately i have not. Only had it through the last half of the last hunting season. I have played in my head though and worked out most if the problems I have come up with and found solutions. For me the frame option wasn't add big of a deal as having different bags was .

I have never liked external frames. Just not my thing. But the way that kifaru gas enabled somewhat to carry meat its great.

I actually did pack out a bulk elk horns and skull though, now that I think about it. We had houses and I wanted to see how it held up to the weight. It did well with that. I didn't skin it or nothing. It was a skull that just got lopped off a few inches from the back of the skull. Hide, neck meat, horn and all on my pack. Plus my day gear and rifle in the gun bearer.

The biggest problem I faced was that the horns wernt wide enough to allow me top walk freely between them and I didn't take the time to tie them on right. No field of the pack.

Last edited by twintips16; 04/20/13.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm kind of on the fence myself between the new bikini frame and DT1 bag vs. just buying a Timberline.

By my way of thinking, in your case, You could just use the regular timberline and a grab it or something and with the bag compressed still use it like frame to haul out whole quarters if thats what you wanted. Or just put the boned out meat in the bag. I don't think it would be any heavier than a duplex frame, top lid, and lashing kit or grab it?

I'm just not sure how useful being able to switch the bags out or take them off really is. I think I would almost always have a bag on there. It sounds like a great idea, removable bags, but im not sure I would even use it that way.

Sean
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I dont see any usefulness of a bikini at all. But maybe I need to reread about it. It's not on the short list.

Ed T or other long time BPrs...... How much of an issue is 2lbs of raw pack weight? A non issue or extremely noticeable?

Sean, you have a great point about just lashing/compressing to standard Timberline. That may swing me the other way.

I so love the idea of swapping pack bags....but in reality would I do it? I don't know. The only K pack I've used is an Express. And I loved everything about it. Used it a LOT. Was a loner and I had to return it after a few years. It's a slim 2000ci pack. Fit between my shoulders and did not stick out at all.

I'd really like a Run and Gun pack like that again but 3000 or 3700. Think non-hunting but scouting July/Aug.

That's my perfect scenario. So is that really two packs? A 3700 KU for overnights or 2 day thru hikes and a bomber T1 for all others rather than trying to shoe horn everything into one pack??

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would love to own/try the T3, maybe the T2...Looks like a killer pack, but 600 coins is tough to do for a pack that size..Been watching for used but they go fast.

I'm interested in mainly a large daypack, with enough room for 2-3 nights if needed.

Who's got one I can borrow? smile

Regarding 2 lbs of extra pack weight, Hardcore backpackers spend serious money to dump 2 lbs, it can matter, but wont make or break the hunt.

As far as the option to change out bags, I believe that's just fluff for most people.

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Yep. It's about $400 per ounce to shave weight. But it's always considered to be gear INSIDE the pack....lighter stoves, less full in your bag, lighter rain gear. Wasn't sure the same effort was really applied to the pack itself, as there are many ounce counters that seem to throw on 7 LB packs carelessly.

Guess I was looking for an analogy similar to 1 pound on the feet is equal to 10 in the pack or whatever the adage is.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If theres one place I don't try to cut weight from its my pack. I like them to be around 1 pound per 1000 ci, its the perfect balence IMO. Try to lighten up the stuff you put it it! If the extra 2 pounds gives you volume, versatility, performance and durability its well worth the extra weight.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have dropped almost 15 pounds from my whole set up. Rifle pack and all my gear in the last 6 months. Before I didn't think it mattered. I just told myself to get in better shape. But packing a 55 pound plus pack kills you unless you have too. Dropping 15 pounds is almost 25% or better. Thats a lot.

It all makes a difference!

Like I said I have aT1 and I use it every time I leave the house. Scouting, hunting, packing.... It doesn't make a difference. Even if its just for the day with nothing buta spotter and food . And for only 7 (I think) or so ounces for a T1 over a t2 its almost a no brainer. IMHO

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Just went and looked on Kifarus web site.

5.5 ounces between the T1 and T2 for 2000 extra cubic inches and at $30 more base price.

IMHO thats great

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Pack weight is the last thing to consider.

Ed T

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ed_T

To a point I agree with you. However if I can get the same or more comfort from a 6 pound pack than a 10 pound pack that cost the same, then its a no brainer for me atleast. laugh

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
Originally Posted by Ed_T

To a point I agree with you. However if I can get the same or more comfort from a 6 pound pack than a 10 pound pack that cost the same, then its a no brainer for me atleast. laugh

I agree.

Fit is king as long as it doesn't come at at much of a price (wieght).

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The problem with the large Kifaru packs (5000ci or larger) is that you only get 4 compression straps and a max frame hight of 26". Serious Kifaru, only 4 freakin' compression straps on a 7000ci bag? Short frame with little compression straps means an akward and unstable load when stacked up. Kifaru's own pictures even show this, its really bad with the KU5200. Its a shame their bags suck so bad because they have the suspension aspect down.

FWIW, my 7000ci bag has 11 compression straps(all removable) and a 28" frame.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I agree with the 5200 being somewhat unstable with bulky loads, but I have not had the issues with my other Kifaru packs. Between the compression straps for the sleeping bag compartment, the 4 you mentioned, and the top lid I haven't had an issue with not being able to control a load.

That said you likely haul out a lot more critters than I do in a given season so your mileage may vary, and personal preference does come into play. Just saying its a non-issue for me. Doesn't mean it won't be for others.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
That said you likely haul out a lot more critters than I do in a given season

Dude, not even close. I only get 3 tags down here and I am lucky to punch one of them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I only punched 2 tags personally last year so no worries there. I just am dumber and pack out other peoples for them. laugh Just like anything comes down to personal preference but I haven't had a lick of trouble compressing loads in Kifaru packs simply with the straps I stated (the 4 straps you said, sleeping bag compartment, and top lid. Those straps alone have never left me wanting for more compression.

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Thought so.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you did have a pack with a well made compression system you may learn it is a better setup right? Just saying you dont know till you try something better wink. I am sure the Kifaru's work fine for you as they did for me. I am just a bit of a pack connoisseur and demand the best. Since Kifaru packs are always claimed to be the ultimate best(see rokslide.com) I expect them to have better features. Still great packs dont get me wrong..

Outfits like HPG and McHale don't just put compression straps on their packs because they are pretty to look at. The serve a function and a very important one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

101 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 2ndwind, 6MMWASP, 17 invisible), 1,586 guests, and 944 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,242
Posts18,485,919
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.