Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
Originally Posted by Ed_T
Pack weight is the last thing to consider.

To a point I agree with you. However if I can get the same or more comfort from a 6 pound pack than a 10 pound pack that cost the same, then its a no brainer for me atleast. laugh
Originally Posted by Ed_T
Pack weight is the last thing to consider.

To a point I agree with you. However if I can get the same or more comfort from a 6 pound pack than a 10 pound pack that cost the same, then its a no brainer for me atleast. laugh

For sure. You don't need to have a 10 pack to be able to haul a good load but even a 10 lb pack that has a good suspension is still better than a lightweight that sucks.

I personally don't like too many compression straps. They are a pain in the ass most of the time. The ideal for me are 3-4 permanent straps with another 2-3 that attach when packing out meat

Ed T

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ed, I agree 100%....well said.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Big_W
If you did have a pack with a well made compression system you may learn it is a better setup right? Just saying you dont know till you try something better wink. I am sure the Kifaru's work fine for you as they did for me. I am just a bit of a pack connoisseur and demand the best. Since Kifaru packs are always claimed to be the ultimate best(see rokslide.com) I expect them to have better features. Still great packs dont get me wrong..

Outfits like HPG and McHale don't just put compression straps on their packs because they are pretty to look at. The serve a function and a very important one.

True, the HPG I used was good, but not my style and I didn't prefer it. My buddies McHale just has too many bells and whistles and stuff I wouldn't use anyways. Like handholds on the waistbelt...seriously??? laugh I have used a number of packs and packed out some critters with a number of different style of packs and I think that some simply have too many or aren't needed or redundant, while some like Gregory or Arcteryx have too few.

All that said I'm certainly not a pack connoisseur like yourself so I can't really be one to say something is the end all be all. Just saying from my observations from carrying animals out with various packs I've used thats all. I would love to see some pics of your McHale loaded up on a couple trips hauling out some animals to better prove your point on how well the compression straps work with a heavy laiden pack vs. a Kifaru or Mystery Ranch which both have MUCH less compression straps than 11. Heavy load packing pics are always fun too look BACK at but not fun at the time. laugh

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I should'nt reply as I sense a pissing match coming on, its hard to tell if your being serious or a smartass Luke wink.

I am not here to compare everything thing to McHale. That was not the point I was trying to make. I just said it would be nice if Kifaru came with or had the option to add a few compression straps, especially up higher. Thats all...

Agree on the McHale "Hand rests", its a fully custom pack and I guess your buddy choose to have them.

I also was not referring to HPG's compression panel, I was comparing more along the lines of the Ute and I am sure their futrue packs. I am not a fan of the frame and compression panel. Like I said before just give me a big bag so I can stuff it all in and go. I tested out the prototype HPG compression panel with my Kifaru Duplex and my load was a mess. Party my fault because I was in a hurry with it being 80 degrees and having a bear down a couple miles in. Bear meat DOES NOT like warm weather.

I don't take many hunting pictures, I usually don't even pack one. Its unnecessary weight on a pack hunt, you also can't eat pictures. I don't like being "called out" to post pictures. Pictures don't make me anymore badass than I already am smile.

If your serious Luke I can email you the pictures I do have...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not trying to be a smartass at all or calling you out. Just trying to educate myself on how to properly load a pack as I've not been doing as good as I can be and sure I'll PM you my email address so you can show me. Not trying to start a pissing match at all.

You should start packing a 5-7 oz camera btw, can't eat pictures either. But its fun to relive the hunts when the memories start to fade. Don't worry the pics won't make you more or less of a badass, but they can do wonders in conveying what you are trying to say...pics worth a thousand words right? laugh I'm just too lazy to type 1K words thus the pics. Seriously though I'd like to see some pics as I am always looking to improve how I do things.

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Getting my popcorn out... LOL

Great info and perspectives!

life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who THREATEN it!!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You could take my approach...head to the classifieds with your fist full of dollars and post a wtb add. That approach netted me a latest generation longhunter with appropriate belt and lightweight stays at a substantial discount. I think your at a point where your not going to get a bad pack and only trial and error will turn up exactly what turns YOU on.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
There will ALWAYS be differences of opinion concerning packs and which features are/are not "best" and even very experienced packers WILL sometimes change their opinions as they age and/or find a different pack from that which had been their "ultimate" for some seasons.

One of the few (very few) things I know from decades of intense backpacking all over BC and some of Alberta, is that a number of packs WILL work WELL for me and may/may not work as well for others. One comes to realize that you DO NOT need an expensive or highly specialized pack to be successful AND enjoy backpack hunting and if you keep in shape, the actual pack make is not a big issue.

I have the utmost respect for Dan McHale, have yakked about packs with him since about 1995 and even had a deposit on one some years ago. While my experience with his packs is far less then that with many other makes, I doubt that anyone is making a "better" pack than Dan makes and I still might buy one, but, now we are on pensions, my $$$$ for gear are fewer and I have several excellent DD and MR packs to use.

So, for me, I tend to agree here with "Biathlonman" in buying "pre-owned" and then just using each one until you find YOUR "best" type and going from there.

I have come to prefer the Dana-Bozeman and early K2 and MR packs and their quality is second to nothing I have seen and their customer service is outstanding. Yet, I am still a fan of the Kifaru Siwash, sold my Gen.1 and if I had more bux, would very probably buy a Gen.2, as this pack is ideal for most of what I can still, at pushing 67, actually do in the mountains.

One point about McHale's packs, tho' and I think that "BigW" touched on this, Dan will build it the way YOU want it and one does not have to buy any extras that he may not care for. I prefer very simple pack designs as I am old, not very smart, anyway and tend to lose schit in the many pockets of many designs, as well as forget how to fit the more complex types to my elderly carcass.

Soooo, take your time, test all that you can and then see what you think is best for your needs and body.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Big_W, I have to apologize to ya man. Re-reading this stuff this morning I came across like nothing more than a azz.....sorry about that, just trying to figure out and see how the extra straps work better and I went about it all wrong. Again sorry for that and glad your pack works for ya, cause as you know in the end thats all that matters.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yeah, I put on my asshat in my post too. The OP asked about the pack models/sizes and I gave both pro's and con's of the larger bags. I did not need to add snarky comments. Its all good...

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Well then....Duplex or Standard? And I didn't know 'Lanche was in the Rokslide fraternity.

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My one big bitch with all the Kifaru's that I have personally been around, is the lack of compression straps.

That's the thing I like least about my UL5200. 5200 inches in that tall and skinny a column with 2 compression straps, every time I use it I get hungry for muffins. What would another UL strap add for weight? an ounce and a half?

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
oh, Jesse, if I were you, I'd find a standard used and try it first.

That's what I LOVE about my UL5200. The suspesnion on it kicks more ass than anything I've used in the way of an internal.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
R
R
I have a KU5200 and love it. I wasn't sure if I would like the no pockets thing but just add a few bags on as needed.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Big_W
If you did have a pack with a well made compression system you may learn it is a better setup right? Just saying you dont know till you try something better wink. I am sure the Kifaru's work fine for you as they did for me. I am just a bit of a pack connoisseur and demand the best. Since Kifaru packs are always claimed to be the ultimate best(see rokslide.com) I expect them to have better features. Still great packs dont get me wrong..

Outfits like HPG and McHale don't just put compression straps on their packs because they are pretty to look at. The serve a function and a very important one.

True, the HPG I used was good, but not my style and I didn't prefer it. My buddies McHale just has too many bells and whistles and stuff I wouldn't use anyways. Like handholds on the waistbelt...seriously??? laugh I have used a number of packs and packed out some critters with a number of different style of packs and I think that some simply have too many or aren't needed or redundant, while some like Gregory or Arcteryx have too few.

All that said I'm certainly not a pack connoisseur like yourself so I can't really be one to say something is the end all be all. Just saying from my observations from carrying animals out with various packs I've used thats all. I would love to see some pics of your McHale loaded up on a couple trips hauling out some animals to better prove your point on how well the compression straps work with a heavy laiden pack vs. a Kifaru or Mystery Ranch which both have MUCH less compression straps than 11. Heavy load packing pics are always fun too look BACK at but not fun at the time. laugh

Luke,
I took my "big McHale" on a goat hunt back in 08 and my guide kept trying to get me to use one of their smaller packs. The bells and whistles intimidate!
Don

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

619 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 59 invisible), 2,363 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,265
Posts18,486,536
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.