Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I have been searching all the places I can think of, looking for a lever gun... Trapper or regular long barrel '94 Winchester preferable, or 336 Marlin. I'm even getting flexible on the caliber. wanted .44 or 30-30 (Brush guns) but 45-70 is on the list now. I did see a Rossi at a gun shop... but just not a winchester. I live in the trees and creek bottom country and these guns work really well close-in and through brush. 50yd is normal shot, 100 is a long one. If anyone in the area around Kansas anywhere spots one that is not some "gold clad collector item" (it WILL see fences and trees and WILL be USED!)Send me note in my mail or e-mail me even.. JIM. virgillloydyahoo.com
I sold my .44 trapper and been wearing out my boot kicking my rear ever since.!Should have sold the car.!The nice.22's I have are just not deer guns. (Legally, HA)

History is my teacher: VietNam was my lesson.!
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by frogmanjim67
I have been searching all the places I can think of, looking for a lever gun... Trapper or regular long barrel '94 Winchester preferable, or 336 Marlin. I'm even getting flexible on the caliber. wanted .44 or 30-30 (Brush guns) but 45-70 is on the list now. I did see a Rossi at a gun shop... but just not a winchester. I live in the trees and creek bottom country and these guns work really well close-in and through brush. 50yd is normal shot, 100 is a long one. If anyone in the area around Kansas anywhere spots one that is not some "gold clad collector item" (it WILL see fences and trees and WILL be USED!)Send me note in my mail or e-mail me even.. JIM. virgillloydyahoo.com
I sold my .44 trapper and been wearing out my boot kicking my rear ever since.!Should have sold the car.!The nice.22's I have are just not deer guns. (Legally, HA)
Have you hit your local Walmart? I was in the Walmart at Fort Scott today. I glanced at the gun case and am pretty sure I spied a 336 in it. I'd call before driving very far though and make sure. I have no idea what they are now after Sandy Hook, but new ones were very reasonably priced before it and Walmart has the reputation of holding the line on prices during these price-spikes. I'm thinking they were under $400 before taxes. Also, there are plenty of them at gunshows here in this state. Wichita had a gunshow this past weekend and Topeka had one the weekend before that. The prices on 30-30 levers have not went up a huge bunch from what I've seen. You can legally buy a long gun in other states as long as it is from a licensed dealer. There are shows in Tulsa and Oklahoma City this coming weekend.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Last edited by KR13; 04/22/13.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it's natural manure. - Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Last edited by KR13; 04/22/13.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it's natural manure. - Thomas Jefferson
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
There have been several for sale right here in the Free Classified section in recent months in various models and condition.
Just watch for them to pop up.

Myron

How many peckers can a Pecker Checker check if a Pecker Checker could check peckers?
(stolen from shootinurse)
IC B2

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Winchester with straight grip handles best, if you don't need a perfect scope setup. For up to normal shooting distance with a 30-30, the side mount scope is fine.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I'm sure I could dig up a nice one for a shot at a big whitetail, Frogman. grin

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm even getting flexible on the caliber. wanted .44 or 30-30 (Brush guns) but 45-70 is on the list now.

Please define what you mean by a 'brush gun'?

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was just in the LGS last week and they had a new Marlin 336 in .30-30. It was a recent production and wasn't the quality of the slightly older ones, but still, it's a lever action in a suitable caliber.

The store also had a very sweet Marlin 1894 in .44 mag. This was a cowboy type rifle with about a 20" octagonal barrel and crescent buttplate. I've never seen one quite like this-most of the octagonal barreled Marlins I've seen have had longer barrels. This gun is just flat-out SWEET. If I could swing the $800+ price tag it'd be sitting in my safe right now!

Lemme' know if I can facilitate a transaction for you on either one. I'd be happy to help.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bruinruin
I was just in the LGS last week and they had a new Marlin 336 in .30-30. It was a recent production and wasn't the quality of the slightly older ones, but still, it's a lever action in a suitable caliber.

The store also had a very sweet Marlin 1894 in .44 mag. This was a cowboy type rifle with about a 20" octagonal barrel and crescent buttplate. I've never seen one quite like this-most of the octagonal barreled Marlins I've seen have had longer barrels. This gun is just flat-out SWEET. If I could swing the $800+ price tag it'd be sitting in my safe right now!

Lemme' know if I can facilitate a transaction for you on either one. I'd be happy to help.
That sounds like the model 1894 Cowboy. I had one in 45-70 for awhile and took it deer hunting one year. I didn't get a deer that year but did bag a Fox Squirrel. lol

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by bruinruin

That sounds like the model 1894 Cowboy. I had one in 45-70 for awhile and took it deer hunting one year. I didn't get a deer that year but did bag a Fox Squirrel. lol

Yep, I looked it up and that's what it is. Really slick rifle with great balance. The big front sight might be a bit of a hindrance for longer shots and the slow twist (1/38") means no heavies, but I could really like this gun. So much that I might consider selling my 1894P .44 mag to pick this one up.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
my local wal-mart has new Marlins always in stock.

I'm not a big fan of the new Marlins but they have 'em

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Oldman2003
I'm even getting flexible on the caliber. wanted .44 or 30-30 (Brush guns) but 45-70 is on the list now.

You can apply paint with it?? whistle

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Groing up in Wyoming, I'd always carry my hunting rifle when deer hunting, along with a 30-30 as a "brush gun". There were times that a scoped rifle didn't match the terrain and when we worked those areas areas with heavy buck brush, I'd leave the rifle and take the 30-30 because when you are in tight quarters with little time to get your sights on a close target, the 30-30 was a great option. I have taken a couple of mulies working the brush with my model 94.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Look at the national market, there are lots of them around.

The only cure for life and death is to enjoy the interval.
George Santayana
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Was at a gun show this weekend and sold a Marlin 336 in 35 Rem and the guy next to me had a model 94 30-30. Both sold.... Come to think of it I believe I still have a model 336 30-30 at home that wouldn't mind taking a trip. I believe it has a scope on it if that would work for you contact me and maybe we can work something out. I'll pm my phone #

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

laugh Here we go. Pass the popcorn.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Try the quarterly Reno Gun Shows.

The only cure for life and death is to enjoy the interval.
George Santayana
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I'm seeing a few less of them on shelves as of late, thinkin some folks are starting to realize a 8/10 shot lever rifle makes a helluva home defense weapon as well as a hunting rifle.

Gunner

Trump Won!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by gunner500
I'm seeing a few less of them on shelves as of late, thinkin some folks are starting to realize a 8/10 shot lever rifle makes a helluva home defense weapon as well as a hunting rifle.

Gunner

+1! Especially the Texan model.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

643 members (10gaugemag, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 19rabbit52, 163bc, 56 invisible), 2,387 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,622
Posts18,512,002
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.