Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by nclonghunter
For HOT weather I have been wearing Merrill's Moab hiker. I like the Pronghorn and will stay with it for the colder weather.

Yes, comfy right out of the box... little break-in required.

Soles are bit soft for heavier loads and rocky terrain.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
Ya'll are gonna think I am crazy, but a couple of years ago, having concluded that Pronghorns were not what I wanted, I got a pair of Red Wing Irish Setters, and took them straight to a boot shop and had the soles replaced with Vibram Gum Lights.........

TiA, who did this retread for you and what was the cost including time and marerials?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Andy,

I'd check out the Cabela's Meindls. I'm far from a boot expert, but I can say I'll keep buying these boots as long as they make 'em. I absolutely love them, and they're fine in hot weather.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tanner or anyone else with experience with the Cabela's Mendls, do those tend to run true to size?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by starsky
Tanner or anyone else with experience with the Cabela's Mendls, do those tend to run true to size?

actually they run very untrue to size. I normally wear a 11.5-12 and I think I bought a 10-10.5 in the meindl, they are also a wide boot which unfortunatly didn't work for me. if your foot is on the wider side the meindls are awesome boots.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Mine ran very true to size -

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GregW
Mine ran very true to size -

Mine too.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
The Meindls I bought two weeks ago at the new Cabela's in Grand Rapids, MI were true to size for me. I do have wider feet and they felt great right out of the box!

I would add, that whenver possible, go get fitted for yuor boots. Makes getting the right boot easier.

Last edited by frogman43; 03/31/13.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
The Meindls seem to run about 1/2 size larger than marked. That is based on the three pair I have purchased.

I have a wide foot and the Meindls work for my foot.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The Timberland or Kennetreks are comfy.

Get involved. The world is run by those who show up!
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 805
Hey guys,

Looking for some recommendations on replacement boots. My USA made pronghorns finally gave out and I dont want the China junk new ones. I mainly use these boots to hunt in warm weather 80-100 degree and need something tall 8"+.

I'm going on a bunch over ten years with Wolverines.....I even paid more than a new price to have them resoled and heeled and repaired because I couldn't find new boots any better.....

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by starsky

They have run true to size for me. I recently bought a pair of 10.5s. And they are perfect. I really like these boots.

I've owned Danner Pronghorns and Elk Hunters. Both are good boots. The Mendls seem much better however.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Has anyone tried the Under Armour Speed Freak ?

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by zeke612

Yes and I returned them b/c they secondary arch (under your toes) didn't fit right for me. =(

I ended up driving to Reno and settling for the Meindel Air Revolutions which fit good in the width and I think I went with an 11.5 (Normal shoe size is 12). I did try on the ultralight meindels but they were MEGA wide for my foot and the fit was different than the Air's.

I also hunt in Northern California where bow season is mid july and it's usually around 100*. Opening day of rifle in mid august it was supposed to get up to 112* and I ended up hiking about 2.5 miles down some stuff that I honestly got scared b/c I couldnt go back up. My feet were on fire but with some thin smart wool socks I never got any blisters when I hit the truck about noon. That in itself was amazing.

My only complaint is that the sole is not resoleable and the bottoms are thin. I don't know if they would be a good alpine granite hopping type boot with a heavy pack.

Last edited by lewdogg21; 04/02/13.
40O Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I picked up a pear of Lowa Renegades LL (Stands for leather lined) about 2 weeks and 12 miles ago (I do several 2-3 mile hikes a week).
Coming into the hot Arizona season and I was looking for a lightweight non-Gortex boot available in W sizes. Well made boot. While I've replaced the insole, that's something I do with all my boots.
I look forward to trying these out in the June-July monsoons, as well as the hot desert.
While I haven't used them on any extended hikes, I'd say they are worth a look for anyone looking for a non-gortex lightweight boot.

Last edited by 40O; 04/03/13.

"What I was saying is if my kin folk 400 years ago had guns, we wouldn�t be having this conversation. I�m in favor of guns and encourage everyone I know to have them because the last time we didn�t have them we were abused.�
Rep.Mitchell.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I just came across these while looking for some Crater Rims. http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=6Y5H# I have never seen them listed on Danner's website but I am considering a pair. 2 good reviews so far. Found these as well http://www.altrec.com/lowa-boots/mens-uplander-hiking-boots/

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by zeke612

Yes I have a pair of them, after break in pretty comfortable and supportive for the price point. You will find them stiffer than the Pronhorns IME. I like a stiffer boot, my current favorites are the Cabela's Mountain Hiker light (no longer made). My next pair I would like to try the Meindl Alaska hunter/hiker,Hanwag, Lowa or the Kennetrek Mountain Extreme if I get approval from the war department.
Anyone tried the Kennetrek Terrane?
*EDITED to add** Sierra trading post has some good deals on Hanwag right now, might look into that.

Last edited by TakeEm; 04/24/13.

Isaiah 6:8

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would look at the Lowa Zephyr in the mid height. Lowa Renegade in the leather lined would be another option.

Went for the Cabelas Meindl Ultralight non insulated beacuse they support my wonky ankle better.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have five pair of Meindls of various types of boots and shoes. I don't know if any are the same size. For me, they tend to fit bigger than the label. In some models, they do have different widths.

I recommend that you try them on for best fit.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

83 members (AKislander, 300_savage, 69sportfury, 17CalFan, Alan_C, 11 invisible), 1,589 guests, and 927 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,562
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.