-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
120- I think you may be making a generalization there.

Okay, coming from you, I'm utterly speechless.

As far as "perfect" AR15 parts, there ain't none such animal. The AR SYSTEM is built around a series of specs, tolerances and clearances. By perfect, you must mean "functional" because that's the only perfect there is in AR-land.

I'm building a 16" carbine right now for a Sheriff's Deputy. He's leaning toward a J&T or M1S "kit", which I will go through to make sure it's all good to go, but I'm not expecting to see anything shockingly bad. If bychance we find something, we'll buy a new part. And I would trust my life with the rifle, once it's broken in.

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Wow--lots of good results with the current SUMs. I'm never too old to learn!! For sure!! Thats the kind of data I'm wanting folks to turn out here. Not just a sample of a few barrels etc..... Dtech, way to go.

120-- you pays your dues and takes your chances. Being that I've got not the means to gauge anything, I cannot really see how I could tell if its in or out of spec so rely on my suppliers quality and honesty. The sad thing is that a LE officer would want the cheapest they could get. I'd want the best I could get. Its why my coyote rifles and bedside rifles are 2 different beasts totally. And I stand corrected. You are probably right about my use of the word perfect.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
E4E Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
120mm,

Not everybody has a builder that has a set of gauges, and more importantly a Conscience.

Stuff slips through to be sure.

The system that supports the acceptance Spec ain't tight enough for me either.

But it's what we got..... for now.

Trusting folks to dig through rejected lots for the Gems ain't my bag.

Keep spoiling the folks you support!!!!!!!!!!!!

E4E

My Tractor ain't sexy!
My Rifle however, has issues with the matter.
The wife Definately ain't cornfused!
Good thing I have a Dog to come home to!!!!!!
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The sad thing is that a LE officer would want the cheapest they could get. I'd want the best I could get. Its why my coyote rifles and bedside rifles are 2 different beasts totally. And I stand corrected. You are probably right about my use of the word perfect.

Jeff

+1

My varminter is not the same as my self defense CAR. Coyotes don't shoot back.

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
uhmm... go on vacaion and this thread gets a little rabid... I have to do the numbers still, but I am now deciding if I buy a nice upper alone with SS fluted barrel, are the permium ones like like Rock River or a special builder are worth the extra $100-$150 for a coyote shooter? And what twist? I plan on shooting 55 grain, but may go heavier.
h

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
humdinger

Here is the issue in a nutshell. You have to profess bullet choice. You say 55 but may go heavier. That leaves it wide open really. 8 twist for sure IMHO. You need to state yardages. And with yardages required or expected accuracy. We can then lead you on from there.

My personal coyote gun is a White Oak upper with a 7 twist Wilson and runs 75 bthps into groups around 2 inches at 300 yards and haven't had a coyote get away yet. But thats my choice on uppers. If I were really picky and going after PDs at 300 or beyond it would have to carry a better barrel done correctly and because anytime you pass 200 yards with the AR, the 55s suck in conditions, I prefer to shoot at a minimum a 68ish bullet and often larger to help with the wind drift issues.

What I will say is that due to the size of a coyote, especially if you reload, there are not many ARs, even the worst ones, that won't work to 200 yards or maybe even 300 IF you are a really good shooter. But I'm fond of sub moa accuracy personally.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Jeff,
I lean towards the 55grain because I have a sporter weight bolt action that loves it and I bought a large volume of it since it seems reloading for 223's is questionable. Just prefer to minimize the varieties of ammo laying around.
This AR would be a coyote/predator gun, but also be my PD shooter if I get into it. It seems like most of the varmit barrels are 1-8, but I see 1-14, 1-9, 1-7. I would like one that works for that 55 - 70 grain class when I get back into reloading again. A person can't have the perfect compromise everytime, but I suspect there is some in this caliber.
h

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
If you aren't loading, then a quality barrel may be no advantage at all. If you want to go up to 70s then get 9 for sure on the twist. I'd really suggest 8 to have a margin of error.

One of the good things is just buy a correct twist barreled upper and if it won't work with what you have for ammo, then you can still load for it. If that fails it'll only cost you a new barrel.

I'm not sure on the part about loading for 223 being questionable. Without reloading I could not get the accuracy I need, and paying for the amount of loaded ammo I shot in one year in matches would not be possible.

Hope thats not muddier than it was.

Jeff

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Thanks Jeff on claifying the 1-8 and how a slower twist works. As far as do I need a high quality barrel, or even a certain brand of kit, is a question I ask myself when I don't shoot a lot and the new AR is destined to be rapid fire pest control on the cattle farm. My bolt action loves cheap blackhills ammo and I can't justify the reloading time. Wish I had more time... like everyone on this board.
h

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Yeah, that blue box remanufactured Blackhills ammo is a God send!

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
haha, there is always a trade off, those of us that have a bit more time, probably dont' have the funds to go with it.

If you can manage a wilson tube I continue to be impressed there for a "factory" tube. More so than other "factory" tubes.

Jeff

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

98 members (6mmCreedmoor, 338reddog, 14idaho, 01Foreman400, achlupsa, 35, 5 invisible), 1,539 guests, and 817 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,323
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.