Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Just got word that I'll be headed to SA the week of May 19th on business and will have a few days at the end of that week/beginning of the next that will be open before I must head back.

For sake of argument, let's say that I'm able to squeeze two, possibly 3 days of hunting in before I've got to return. Having only the expectations of killing a quality representative of the species and not trophy hunting, would this be something that is possible, both hunting wise and outfitter wise (i.e., would an outfitter allow me to pay the daily rate and trophy fees on a hunt this short)?

Obviously, I don't have much knowledge of hunting over there, so any advice/info you can provide me would be greatly appreciated.

GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I'm sure you'll soon have outfitters falling all over themselves to accommodate you.

If you just want to shoot stuff, 3 days should be enough to get 20 or 30 animals but there would be duplication of species. If you're not picky about trophy quality and go the right place, I would think 10 different species would be doable fairly easily.

Personally, I like to do things a bit slower and enjoy the milieu.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I think 5 days is about the minimum for any outfitter-PH to book a hunt. Not that you wouldn't be able to get one or two animals in 3 days, there are other logistics to consider. Time on the hunting area, cooks, trackers, support staff and PH time. It's been my experience that the longer hunts are always going to get more attention-as in it means more money for all concerned.

But who knows, contact your booking agent, outfitter and see what they are able to accommodate.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Grumulkin
I'm sure you'll soon have outfitters falling all over themselves to accommodate you.

If you just want to shoot stuff, 3 days should be enough to get 20 or 30 animals but there would be duplication of species. If you're not picky about trophy quality and go the right place, I would think 10 different species would be doable fairly easily.

Personally, I like to do things a bit slower and enjoy the milieu.

Don't know where you been, but 30 different species in 2 days is totally bs unless SAPS lets you in with a BAR. Your advice is totally off base.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
You need to read more carefully. I didn't say "30 different species" but 20 or 30 animals. I also believe the OP has 3 days; if he has only 2 days the numbers would be less. I've done 15 in 3 days before and if I had only don't cull hunting in that time and had gone for more expensive cull animals I could have done quite a few more.

I also can't imagine an outfitter who wouldn't want the easy money that a hunter who wasn't necessarily interested in trophy animals would be good for. The CULL thousands of animals in South Africa yearly for the meat with NO trophy fees involved.

Last edited by Grumulkin; 04/24/13.
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I read correctly and your retracted information is still waaaay off base. Lets see here-30 in three is about one animal every hour and probably $15,000 in fees for non trophy impala or warthog and for bigger animals mabe $30k or more. Cull hunts for 30 animals in 3 days is a non starter. Still lots of bovine Scatoria.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You can do a 2-3 hunt in RSA and have a great time! 10 days is better, but when you already there and don't have 10 days, do what you can.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I know several outfitters that could accommodate a three day hunt for a few key species.

Hunting For Adventure
Tom Addleman (816) 213-6646
[email protected]
To book your next great hunting adventure - www.huntingforadventure.com
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Where will you be when on business over here?

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
You won't get 30 animals in three days. It takes awhile to drive to the hunting site and to recover animals, even if you don't wound any.

On my first trip to RSA, I took eight in seven days of actual hunting. Five would be more typical. add a day on each end to get to and from the Jburg airport.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
IC B3

DLS Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
How about realistic expectations instead of this 20-30 BS. If you have only a few days to hunt, there are hunting operators who will accommodate you. On something like this, rent their rifle and save yourself some hassle. A realistic expectation would be to shoot anywhere from 1-3 animals if you hope to shoot a mature animal.

In 2009, my family did a 2 week vacation in Limpopo. We toured Kruger Park on our own for a few days, then spent a couple days at a private game reserve and finished up with 5 days of hunting for my son and I. He shot a spectacular kudu, an impala and warthog. I shot a nice nyala and we were extremely pleased just by him getting such a nice kudu and me a nice nyala.

Realistic expectations will give you a fantastic trip. Be happy to shoot one or two animals and don't worry about a body count. That is not what African hunting should be about.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (10gaugemag, 808outdoors, 257robertsimp, 99Ozarks, 7mm_Loco, 9 invisible), 1,161 guests, and 723 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,685
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.