Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
forepaw Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Howdy guys,

I will soon be zeroing my new 455 American .22 mag. With the scarcity of ammo right now, I was planning to do some casual shooting with W-W .22 WRF ammo (45 gr. Luballoy flat-point bullet at about 1350 fps) which I have a lot of. Aside from the decrease in performance (not a problem since it will all be on paper)can anyone comment on what kind of accuracy I might expect?

Thanks.

forepaw

"Only accurate rifles (that are light enough to be carried by a middle-aged man in rough country) are interesting"
GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Clean it REALLY well before shooting, that shipping grease they use is like cosmoline, only maybe stickier.

Mine has been shooting 30gr. CCI HPs better than other stuff right now, and I can't begin to guess how the WRF stuff will shoot, but I don't read anything encouraging about it on rimfirecentral.com.
I have high hopes for the Hornady 30gr. VMaxes, later on, but right now, it's liking the CCI HP 30s.
Federal 50s shoot like crap. Most 40s aren't shooting well, either. Time will tell, after it's broken in a bit more. So far, I'd rather shoot my .22 Hornet....................

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
SK Rifle match subsonics and SK Subsonic hollow points shoot well in mine. Remington SS HP's did not shoot well and are very dirty , Win. SS HP's shot larger groups than SK but not bad.

forepaw Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Ok thanks, kind of a moot point, since there is nothing on any shelves right now anyway. I will keep the 30 gr. in mind.

Is yours a 455? Mind if I ask what scope and rings?

forepaw

"Only accurate rifles (that are light enough to be carried by a middle-aged man in rough country) are interesting"
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
My 453 "Varmint" model (heavy 20" barrel, factory single set trigger) definitely likes Wolf Match/Target .22 rimfire rounds and makes mighty small 5-shot groups with it.

I'd guess that with CCI high-velocity flat-points, you should average a half inch or so, more or less, at 50 yards... with a good, high-powered scope off a bench-rest. I'd put several hundred rounds through it first, however... to bring out the "accuracy" in the barrel. THEN judge it's accuracy!

I'd also try the Wolf M/T ammo once you've put several hundred rounds through it just to see what the rifle does with seriously accurate ammo... jus' for the heck-of-it. The Wolf M/T stuff USE to be about $4.00 a box, but that "went away" some time ago. The cost is ridiculous now... IF you can even find it on the shelve!!! smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by forepaw
Aside from the decrease in performance (not a problem since it will all be on paper)can anyone comment on what kind of accuracy I might expect?

Shooting it will be the only way to get an answer. Every rile is different.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by forepaw
Ok thanks, kind of a moot point, since there is nothing on any shelves right now anyway. I will keep the 30 gr. in mind.

Is yours a 455? Mind if I ask what scope and rings?

forepaw

I'm using a Simmons 22Mag 3-9 on it, believe it or not. It's not enough for 100 yard shooting, though. I'll probably have to switch back to a V-24 to see what it's doing at 100 yards. I bought the lighter scope for the more normal usage it will get. So far, I'm not all all happy with the WMR, but hey, I've already got a Hornet that shoots great, so I'm not hurting any. I've got all three barrels for my 455, and the LR barrel took a long time to come around, too. I haven't given up on the WMR pipe yet, but it was a superfluos thing, anyway, with the Hornet I already had.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's a .22 mag, not a .22 LR, so no Wolf M/T.

My experience with several .22 mag rifles is that there is no rhyme or reason as to what they like. Some will like heavier 40-50 gr bullets and others will like the lighter, faster rounds. My buddy's Savage likes the 50 gr Federals the best. My current Marlin 882 likes the WW Super-X 40 gr HPs the best while my 9422M likes the Win Supreme or other light bullets. I've never tried WRF in any of my .22 mags.

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My CZ 455 22 mag shoots the Winchester .22wmr 34gr JHP very well. That's a wicked little round on Varmits.

"Good judgment comes from experience but unfortunately, experience is often derived from a series of bad judgments"

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 1lesfox, 1234, 63 invisible), 2,652 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,717
Posts18,514,165
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.