Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
snubbie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have a difficult time understanding the utter nonexistence of rifle brass right now. I realize when all supplies are scarfed up, there is a shortage.

What I don't understand is why the shortage persists. I mean, how hard is it to punch out brass cartridges? Seems to me that they could kick brass production into high gear and start putting some product back on the market. I would think production capability would run into the millions per day. How hard would it be to catch up with demand which, by the way, should soon be waning somewhat as those with "needs" get those needs filled.

Perhaps I simply don't understand the business of factory production, but in business I've always been involved with, you just meet production by burning the candle at both ends to meet demand. You do what it takes to get 'er done.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah , simple , just wave their magic wand & be up to our ass in brass.

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
snubbie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 6mm250
Yeah , simple , just wave their magic wand & be up to our ass in brass.

Mike

Wow, yes. Now I've been enlightened. Thank you for your very relevant and useful post.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A huge government conspiracy is behind it.

As soon as it is made, its loaded onto black helicopters and flown off to giant warehouses in fema camps.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
We have a large stamping plant in my town that just got a bunch of contracts to make brass casings as fast as they can. They're adding on to the factory and hiring workers.

IC B2

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Loaded with primer, powder, and bullet they can sell it for more. Relatively few people reload.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by websterparish47
Loaded with primer, powder, and bullet they can sell it for more. Relatively few people reload.

That plus the fact every oem is screeming for .223 brass, and they probably only make 1-2 calibers at a time.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
snubbie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by websterparish47

I don't know, seems to me selling the individual components would bring a higher price. But I have no way of knowing that, pure speculation on my part.

Actually, when we add up cost per round of our reloads they typically are considerably cheaper than loaded ammo per round so you're probably right.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

gpopecustomknives.com

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by snubbie
I have a difficult time understanding the utter nonexistence of rifle brass right now. I realize when all supplies are scarfed up, there is a shortage.

What I don't understand is why the shortage persists. I mean, how hard is it to punch out brass cartridges? Seems to me that they could kick brass production into high gear and start putting some product back on the market. I would think production capability would run into the millions per day. How hard would it be to catch up with demand which, by the way, should soon be waning somewhat as those with "needs" get those needs filled.

Perhaps I simply don't understand the business of factory production, but in business I've always been involved with, you just meet production by burning the candle at both ends to meet demand. You do what it takes to get 'er done.
Except for one finite item:

There's only 24 hours per day and only seven days per week..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Redneck

Except for one finite item:

There's only 24 hours per day and only seven days per week..

I'm pretty sure the anointed one can change that with a swipe of his magic pen. Him and his magic pen can do anything!!!

"If it doesn't matter who wins or loses, then why do they keep score?"
Vince Lombardi
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you're willing to pay the price, there is no shortage of brass. You might have to look a little harder or at different sources.
Further, a heck of a lot of reloaders are content with fired brass.
The reloading market for virgin brass, particularly other than pistol, is less than miniscule, so has iittle bearing on factory production.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
its all going to loaded ammo production.

Why would you think they can make more individually? You reload to save money. Not spend more.

And as noted most folks buy ammo, they don't reload so the folks wanting components are WAY in the back of the line....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The last bag of Winchester brass for 300 Win Mag had three culls out of 50. One had a neck and shoulder crunched up bad. I wonder if they don't get rid of blems or seconds sold as reloading brass.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I just purchased 1500 pieces of new Starline Brass for my 10mm, 500 from Midway and 1000 direct from Starline. They are making some some , just give it some more time.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Starline Brass has been posting dates of production for their brass.... I have been pre paying them so I know they will make enough to fill my order.... Those that do not pre pay may or may not be able to get the product they want when that batch is run....

I like Starline Brass this has been going on since 2008.... When I spoke with them about the crazy backorder situation the nice woman told me short term it is working out great for them.... Much of their product is pre sold before they run a batch.... Long term it is hard to know if they should sink tens of millions of dollars into bigger production facilities.... Government could do something to dry up the demand for reloading components with the stroke of a pen....

Recently they have stopped even taking backorders for common types of brass ( 9 MM .38 Special .45 ACP....) My guess would be that they know other companies are going to have that back out ASAP.... I was able to get .45 Auto Rimmed brass and I'm thinking about some .45 Super brass.....

Please don't feed the trolls!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ruffcutt
The last bag of Winchester brass for 300 Win Mag had three culls out of 50. One had a neck and shoulder crunched up bad. I wonder if they don't get rid of blems or seconds sold as reloading brass.

This happens quite often with the Short Magnum Brass Winchester turns out.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
The "shortages" too have ruined the plans I had to buy large lots of military scrap brass. Always figured a few thousand bucks of 9mm, 45, 223, 308 and 50 would not be a bad thing to have laying around for a rainy day.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
B
I'm pretty sure you are correct. It's all going into new ammunition by the high production reloading companies. They are no longer selling their brass. I just bought some military surplus brass and went to the local gunshow to see if there was any brass being sold or what to charge for the portion I planned to sell. There was no one selling any.

Pax

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

509 members (1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 61 invisible), 2,294 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,139
Posts18,502,738
Members73,991
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.