Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
J
JWP58 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Anyone use one? I'm considering trying one out.

Pros and cons from first hand usage would be awesome.

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have one, never used it. It is a "shaped" tarp, mainly intended for emergency/overnite bivy use.. You can buy an annex that turns it into a proper enclosed shelter, but then you are carrying about 18 or so ounces. A Golite SL3 weighs about eight more ounces with a BUNCH more room.

I just bought what I think is a better "just-in-case" shelter, a Six Moon Designs Gatewood Cape. My Paratarp will likely be for sale.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I had one for a while, with the annex.Tried it in the backyard and sold it. Just a little too small for me. I'm 6'2" and couldn't quite sit up straight in it. If you're planning on sleeping in it, you might wanna look at a supertarp or megatarp.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Walker6
I had one for a while, with the annex.Tried it in the backyard and sold it. Just a little too small for me. I'm 6'2" and couldn't quite sit up straight in it. If you're planning on sleeping in it, you might wanna look at a supertarp or megatarp.

And for what those weigh I KNOW I'd rather have my SL3.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I dunno. My SL-5 with stove jack weighs 2lbs 5oz, plus another 12oz for the pole. (The SL-3 I had weighed about 5oz less than that (and maybe a little less for the shorter pole). It had plenty of square footage but my head and feet were just a little too close to the walls.)

A megatarp with annex weighs 1lbs 11oz, according to their website (4oz less for the supertarp). Plus, you can use trekking poles or sticks instead of the center pole. That's almost a pound and a half difference between SL-5 and megatarp. I really like the SL-5, but for solo hunting I'm thinking i don't really need all that room and I may try a mega. (It's May, what else to do besides fiddle with a perfectly good setup, right? laugh )

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
That Golite pole is pig-heavy. Get a Seek Outside carbon pole. IIRC, my SL3 sans pole, with a stove jack weighs 25oz. I'll try to remember to weigh it tommorrow. A lot of guys who run mids use pole jacks (connectors for two trekking poles) I've never tried one.

Kifaru doesn't make a shelter I'd buy smaller than a Six Man, and from what I've read about Seek Outside's tipis I pick one of those over it anyway.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
+ on what TAK said. I had one once upon an time.

If you want an Para Tarp type shelter type cut type shelter here's an more affordable option.
http://www.campsaver.com/element-solo-shelter

Here's an interesting 12'x12' square tarp that has an zipper and turns into an pyramid type shelter.
http://www.campsaver.com/nemo-transform-tarp

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Paratarp is intended as a shelter for an unplanned overnighter, not an extended camp.

One of the larger Supertarps or Seekoutside shelters or a Golite are better for multiday trips. I had a SL-4+ but sold it.

I've used a paratarp as a "kitchen" and gear storage at a base camp but I don't set it up in the usual tent configuration. I never use a paratarp pole and rarely a trekking pole. Just cut some limbs.

If you are looking for a multi day camping shelter then I suggest something bigger. If you want an extremely light versatile tarp that can be cinched down as tent for an overnight stay then the paratarp would work.

[Linked Image]

For size comparison as tents, Paratarp set up next to a Supertarp (with poor annex setup-first try). I've since added the additional guyouts on the Supertarp.

[Linked Image]

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Not to confuse the issue but a nice lightweight one person shelter is a Scarp by Henry Shires. Two doors. Can be setup floored or floorless (even lighter).
Floored config has two vestibules for storage.
I don't typically use those external crossing poles which are really for when it snows.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
LostArra, what is the weight of the that tent without the crossing poles?? Just the weight of the fly and the main pole going down the center, no stakes, foor, or netting.

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
I have one, never used it. It is a "shaped" tarp, mainly intended for emergency/overnite bivy use.. You can buy an annex that turns it into a proper enclosed shelter, but then you are carrying about 18 or so ounces. A Golite SL3 weighs about eight more ounces with a BUNCH more room.

I just bought what I think is a better "just-in-case" shelter, a Six Moon Designs Gatewood Cape. My Paratarp will likely be for sale.

I've been looking at the Gatewood Cape also for the same reason! It's supposed 11 only 11 oz but it does not look like it packs very small.

I do not like how it is designed to not be pegged flush to the ground though. One could just use a pebble and loop to bypass that I guess. I actually contacted SMD and asked them if they could add an external suspension loop to their design so that one could tether the center to a tree limb or single external pole instead of the necessary internal pole - no reply.

For the price of the Gatewood cape, the Nemo, the paratarp, I would honestly just use an UL tarp instead to get more room AND flexibility of use (can be a stretcher, hammock, etc).

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm not seeing roomier than a para tarp in that last picture.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by David_Walter
I'm not seeing roomier than a para tarp in that last picture.

I've never played with a paratarp so you may be right.

Those are both 10'x10' tarps so they give at least about 8'+ usable depth. Just take out a piece of paper, cut it to 10"x10" and play with pitching a tarp on a table with some tape to verify. You can easily measure dimensions with a ruler.

Here's my 48" tall son standing inside. You can sit in it on a low camp chair like the Alite Monarchs. Actually the height/pitch angle is adjustable so can make it steep for snow load or wide and low for wind.
[Linked Image]

Side view.
[Linked Image]

I like using it with a big reflector fire smile
[Linked Image]

Beaked.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by alukban; 05/02/13.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I weighed the pros and cons several years ago and decided on the supertarp with annex. The space, as seen in lostarra's pic above was much better and the additional weight nil.

It's become my primary backpacking shelter. The weather is the deciding factor on whether to add the annex or not. I've stayed dry and comfortable in downpours and 45-50mph winds. It has plenty of room for two guys and is awesome for one guy. The annex and small stove (poached from my 4 man tipi) make it perfect for cold weather.

So I would say that the paratarp is a great idea which is perfected in the supertarp.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by pabucktail

So I would say that the paratarp is a great idea which is perfected in the supertarp.

I would agree the Paratarp is head and shoulders better than a flat/"non-shaped" tarp for mountain use (that pesky wind) but I wouldn't call it perfect. I would also question whether excess weight could ever be referred to as "nil" if it is on your back.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Here are some LBO pics, my solo shelter of choice.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use a GoLite SL-5 as my primary shelter for 2 people (have over 100 nights in it and still love it.

For solo or unexpected overnight bivy for two I picked up a Zpacks Hexamid SoloPlus. At just over 6 oz with the optional beak it sure looks good so far, but I have yet to spend a night in it, just set it up in the yard...so time will tell.

I think the paratarp certain has its place and is a great option and can see the allure for sure. Just like to try a little bit of everything. laugh

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Lanche, do you think that zpack shelter has room for one guy to sleep on top of a packraft?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Alaska lanche, my tarptent contrail is a tick under 2 lbs. Ready to go, double rainbow is 8 ounces more.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Biathlonman
Alaska lanche, my tarptent contrail is a tick under 2 lbs. Ready to go, double rainbow is 8 ounces more.

Thanks....I head the double rainbow..the layout and setup wasn't for me...that said the Cloudburst was pretty nice...just wondering what the fly only option on the Scarp 2 comes in at.

TAK,

I think it'd be a bad idea with a packraft. Simply because while sleeping on one (which is pretty comfy actually) you create a low spot and any point of the packraft that sneaks out from under the tent would drain right under your back.

The width at the ends, which is where the widest part of the packraft would be is is 42" compared to the packrafts nearly 38" (Yukon Yak model). So it could work, I can air up my Yukon Yak and try it here in a week and take some pics if interested. Personally, I'd like a little more room under the shelter if sleeping under the packraft. The using the packraft under my SL-3 was too tight but could make it "work", however, the SL-5 for 4 oz more works MUCH better for that. Its the hexagonal shape in relationship to the center pole that kills it for the SL-3 atleast thats what I found.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (16penny, 12344mag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 63 invisible), 2,272 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,820
Posts18,477,783
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.