Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
If you go with a steer. I'd talk to someone who knows what their doing in person first. I dont know how the grass grows up there in Canada, or even in your pasture. But they can help you figure out what you need. If they can help you get a good animal not the cheapest. There's no sense in getting a chitty steer and not having it grow. Then having it taste like chit in the fall. Plus a butcher bill isn't cheap and no one wants to have hundreds of pounds of beef that no one wants to eat.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Now I see he is from Canada. I dont have a clue how to figure the livestock per acre up there. Local farmer or county agent could help him with this.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The OP doesn't need any meat. He says he shoots what he needs.

My suggestion is to have a neighbor cut the acreage for hay or rent out the pasture for horses. Other option is purchase a ATV or small tractor. Both can be set up for dual purpose snow removal and mower attachments.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by xxclaro
Thanks guys. Around here you ca noften get llama's for free,nobody seems to want them. I just want something I can get rid of in the fall,be it by sale or slaughter.

The bottom went out of the llama market. You can get them for free because you can't sell them. If you get them, figure on eating or keeping them. They would be good grass eaters but they can be hell on trees. They love to eat the bark off of trees.

From what I have learned of goats in the last 5 minutes here, I think they may not work here! First off,it is a 4-strand barb wire fence,so tehy could likely get out easy.

With that fence, forget the goats. It wouldn't even slow them down.

Animal control officers around here are coyote's,and I shoot as many as I can!

The Dexter cattle are an interesting option,as I have a friend whose parents raise them,so I might could get my hands on some. Wife wants miniature horses,but I already know how that would turn out! Guess who would get to feed and water it and muck out hte stall when there's 4 feet of snow and it's -30 out? Yeah, you know.

So,I guess it comes down to some sort of cattle or maybe sheep. Are sheep noisy bastards? I like the fact that a couple little steers would likely be pretty quiet,as least as far as I remember. If I bought 2 steers,lets say about 2-300lbs,would they be okay on their own,eating just grass? Would I have enough pasture to kep them fed? A little Brahma would be awesome,if I could find one.
How many sheep would I need to keep a pasture this size decently mowed?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have no clue as to the state and condition of Canadian grass. I will say that a single beef animal does not do well by its self. Need at least two of what ever you get. Supliment with a lttle suplimental feed and you will have some tasty beef by fall or somethin the market wants. I'd never start with anything less than @ 450 pounds.
I've raised commercial cattle all my life. If you can find them black baldies are the best.

Quando Omni Moritati
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Here in TX, I would either buy a small tractor or have a neighbor cut it. If you decide to own a tractor, I am sure you will find other uses. Especially with a front end loader, disk and blade.
If you want more wildlife like me, I would carefully "not cut" certain areas and "landscape" for better habitat.
Animals are fun, but require time and patience. I have neither.
I tried Longhorn steers. OK until they started jumping fences no other cattle would. Very easy to raise though here in TX.

stumpy

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
A couple steers would work. But think ahead, because you have to have a way to transport and load them.

I think what might be your best bet is to rent your pasture out to some young kid that wants to run a couple cow/calf pairs for the summer. Win-Win.

You get your grass eaten down and learn in the process, what you would need to do when you decide to run a couple steers yourself. You also get a little cash in your pocket each month.

Montana MOFO
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by bluesman
Nubian goats - they are beautiful, funny, affectionate, and I have never known a nasty nubian. They always got along with the cows and horses and even the chickens and turkeys. They always made everyone in the family laugh at least once a day.

Terry

IME, the only thing wrong with Nubians is this, they have such personalities, you won't be using them for meat. It'll be like eating your dog.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Originally Posted by bluesman
Nubian goats - they are beautiful, funny, affectionate, and I have never known a nasty nubian. They always got along with the cows and horses and even the chickens and turkeys. They always made everyone in the family laugh at least once a day.

Terry

IME, the only thing wrong with Nubians is this, they have such personalities, you won't be using them for meat. It'll be like eating your dog.

that is what has happened with the two pigmy goats in my back yard. My golden puppy runs like a goat. They don't much eat grass either by the way, they are more browsers, like deer. Love bark off trees, leaves and so on. Lot of things they won't eat. Also really need fresh water.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

The daughter has a pair of female Nigerian dwarf goats for her 4H. They don't get much bigger than about 35 pounds, have a ton of personality, and are every bit as much her pets as her JRT. They winter well too, as long as offered shelter.
So far, neither have emailed me that I just won a bunch of money......

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you have any livestock you can't just pull up and leave for a week without having someone around to keep an eye on them. They always find a way to get out or get caught in the fence at the worst times. If you have a neighbor you can trade watching duties with then you're good to go.

"I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man." --Robert Duvall.
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!" --John Wayne.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I say forget about livestock & plant some native prairie grasses along with some wildlife food plots ... kick back and enjoy watching the wildlife while helping provide them with the essentials they need for survival.

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RickyBobby
I say forget about livestock & plant some native prairie grasses along with some wildlife food plots ... kick back and enjoy watching the wildlife while helping provide them with the essentials they need for survival.

+1

X
xxclaro Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
X
Lots of good info here guys,much appreciated. Will hold off on any purchasing of livestock this year and see if anyone nearby wants to cut/bale it or maybe a nearby 4H kid can use it. Down the road,maybe I can put something in there for myself.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Originally Posted by okie
The one steer gets my vote...damned goats.

Last Summer I told my dad that we should get a few goats to eat weeds around the farm.

He didn't think it was very funny.....grin

Now if he had been able to watch them eat Canadian thistles with their usual absently content look on their faces.........

What about a few geese?
Our goats won't touch Canada thistle. They're supposed to be great for eating poison ivy & oak, though.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

647 members (06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 222Sako, 204guy, 1badf350, 66 invisible), 2,659 guests, and 1,458 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,606
Posts18,492,376
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.