-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Good morning all. I am thinking about buying an 1899 that I saw yesterday and wonder if anyone would care to offer some advice on how bad the price is.

It is a short rifle takedown model in 25-35. Serial # is 144XXX. It also comes with a 2nd barrel in 303. Its a lightweight little thing too.

There is no finish left on the receiver or lever. The stock doesn't appear to have been sanded but it has a couple of lifetimes' worth of small scratches & dings that you'd expect on a gun that was used a lot. It has a healthy coat of glossy varnish on it. The fore end is a schnabble. No chips or cracks in the wood. Straight grip. Hard rubber butt plate. No checkering or engraving.

The action is tight. The barrel is a little loose and goes just past the notch when you screw it down tight.

The 25-35 barrel has bright, sharp lands but the grooves are dark. The 303 barrel looks like new inside.

The shop wants $630 for the whole package.

The only reason I'm considering it is the 25-35 chambering and the extra barrel. I already have everything I need to load for it except dies and there are plenty of those on ebay. I have a cheap, off brand black rifle that I would like to trade to limit the actual cash out of pocket.

I kind of expect prices down here in Florida to be higher than up North because there aren't as many 99s down here but I don't want to pay $630 for a $300 gun.

I wish I had taken pictures but I didn't think of it until we had left the shop. Whatever advice on the price anyone can give will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! Jim

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Smarter people than me will respond but I'd be all over that. Bring 600 in cash. You won't over pay if it is as you say.

You did put some money on it to set it aside didn't you?

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Barrel lengths?

Likely a model 1899 H.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks for the replies!

Already on the road to the shop to pick it up. Barrel length looks like 20"

I'll be studying the Savage 99 book on the way down

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Another addict! Might want to line up some counceling for down the road...

LOL
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Another addict! Might want to line up some counceling for down the road...

Crack me up, that's why he came here, for the counseling, Joe.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Well, I got it. I traded an AR 15 that I had $400 in for it and paid an extra $194 including tax & call in. I got the rifle and the extra barrel. I also got a Lyman tang sight for it. I am not up to speed on them but its the one that's adjustable for windage and elevation. I suspect that the sight is worth almost as much as the cash part of what I paid for the whole deal.

Thanks again for the help & advice.

I started coming here for the counseling after my 2nd 99. This one makes seven plus a Model 20. Its one reason I don't post a whole lot anymore! grin

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
The Lyman sight is likely a 29-1/2 or 30-1/2 and value is in that ballpark.

Sounds like ya did alright!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Boy howdy! Congrats on a wonderful sounding 18(99) ?

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Posting isn't what costs, reading is expensive. I'm surprised they wanted cash given what an AR15 can bring. If you don't mind that, you did well IMO.

We'll need pictues of course.

IC B3

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I'm pleased with the trade. The AR was a Hesse Arms with a plastic receiver so it wasn't a name brand. I didn't give them a magazine with it either. I didn't have much in it so it worked for me and the shop. The sight was the deal maker.

One of these days I'll remember how to post a picture and I'll be one happy campfire-er.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds like the deal you made was simply splendid. Good for you. I hope you enjoy it. Don't worry about the barrel that goes a little past index. Scroll through the "Misc good posts" and IIRC you'll find a post there that tells you how to fix that.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That sight is a minimum $200 sight all day long in good condition.

If you just want to attach a picture, you have to reduce the size below 100kb. You then have to use the "Reply" option, not quick reply. There is a browse option there, select your pic and attach it. Pretty simple, 'specially if I figured it out.

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

515 members (007FJ, 2500HD, 1936M71, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 1badf350, 58 invisible), 2,404 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,441
Posts18,489,489
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.